DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Web Site Suggestions >> Just a suggestion
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 29, (reverse)
AuthorThread
11/13/2005 11:41:43 PM · #1
Why is that open challengers are only able to enter into one challenge. If there is two offered shouldn't we be able to do both. I think we should, I have shots for both the challenges...and now I have to pick which one I want to do.
11/13/2005 11:43:11 PM · #2
The open challenge was split to reduce the # of entries in any one challenge. Your suggestion would do just the opposite.
11/14/2005 12:12:02 AM · #3
September experiment continues.
11/14/2005 12:13:15 AM · #4
I like it the present way better.
11/14/2005 12:15:38 AM · #5
I see where it helps limit the number of entries...but if members can do it then why can't we...

It doesn't seem that voters really voted differently when there aren't as many entries...

11/14/2005 12:17:51 AM · #6
Originally posted by angela_packard:

I see where it helps limit the number of entries...but if members can do it then why can't we...

It doesn't seem that voters really voted differently when there aren't as many entries...


We can only enter 1 of the 2 challenges.

Message edited by author 2005-11-14 00:18:02.
11/14/2005 12:19:04 AM · #7
Originally posted by angela_packard:

but if members can do it then why can't we...


Perks.
11/14/2005 12:22:39 AM · #8
the open challenges are exclusive to EVERYONE (ie members and non members both have to choose one or the other)
Members get more challenges in the way of members challenges only.
11/14/2005 12:23:11 AM · #9
Yes but you all are open to your member challenges...

yes it is the perks of being a member...i understand that...
11/14/2005 12:24:59 AM · #10
Originally posted by mesmeraj:

the open challenges are exclusive to EVERYONE (ie members and non members both have to choose one or the other)
Members get more challenges in the way of members challenges only.


just a question but do any of the non members actually ribbon in the open challenges...i haven't really paid attention
11/14/2005 12:27:22 AM · #11
Yup yup.

I think Annah was a non member when she blued in affluence.
11/14/2005 12:29:45 AM · #12
252336.jpg

Message edited by author 2005-11-14 00:30:02.
11/14/2005 01:06:13 AM · #13
Originally posted by angela_packard:

but if members can do it then why can't we...


first of all you gotta pay to play. second members can only enter one of the non-member challenges not both.
11/14/2005 01:43:15 AM · #14
Heads up . . .

I'm moving this to website suggestions.

:)
11/14/2005 02:00:12 AM · #15
Originally posted by angela_packard:

I see where it helps limit the number of entries...but if members can do it then why can't we...



Cause they pay the whopping 50 cents to enter the extra challenge every week. :) You should see the forum they have too! Hot stuff. lol
11/14/2005 02:01:33 AM · #16
Originally posted by hbunch7187:

Originally posted by angela_packard:

I see where it helps limit the number of entries...but if members can do it then why can't we...



Cause they pay the whopping 50 cents to enter the extra challenge every week. :) You should see the forum they have too! Hot stuff. lol


Shhhh - don't mention the member's lounge and sauna.
11/14/2005 02:02:22 AM · #17
cheater cheater!!
11/14/2005 04:32:47 AM · #18
There are beginning to be some results of this experiment, both pro and con.

Advantages to the Exclusive open challenges are of course the smaller number of entries that make voting faster; and the choice of subjects to shoot in case one of them has you stymied.

Disadvantages are that there are fewer votes in each so the "trolls" (and other undesirable types of voters) carry more influence over the final scores; and with fewer votes being cast on each of your entries it is more difficult to raise your Avg Vote Received.

Anyone else care to share their perceptions on how the experiment is going so far?
11/14/2005 04:48:32 AM · #19
Originally posted by coolhar:

There are beginning to be some results of this experiment, both pro and con.

Advantages to the Exclusive open challenges are of course the smaller number of entries that make voting faster; and the choice of subjects to shoot in case one of them has you stymied.

Disadvantages are that there are fewer votes in each so the "trolls" (and other undesirable types of voters) carry more influence over the final scores; and with fewer votes being cast on each of your entries it is more difficult to raise your Avg Vote Received.

Anyone else care to share their perceptions on how the experiment is going so far?


I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion ? If we have these undersirable type of voters shouldn't it stand to reason that they also can only vote on one challenge.

The best way for all of us to raise the average vote received figure is to enter better photos.

The experiment in my view is one of the best changes I have seen on the site.

11/14/2005 04:51:40 AM · #20
Originally posted by keegbow:


If we have these undersirable type of voters shouldn't it stand to reason that they also can only vote on one challenge.


We can VOTE on all the challenges; it's just that we can't ENTER both of them. Anyway, Harv's point was that with a lower number of votes per challenge, the impact of "troll" voters is proportionally higher ine ach challenge.

Assuming they exist and aren't weeded out by the post-voting adjustment...

R.
11/14/2005 04:57:41 AM · #21
Originally posted by bear_music:

Originally posted by keegbow:


If we have these undersirable type of voters shouldn't it stand to reason that they also can only vote on one challenge.


We can VOTE on all the challenges; it's just that we can't ENTER both of them. Anyway, Harv's point was that with a lower number of votes per challenge, the impact of "troll" voters is proportionally higher ine ach challenge.

Assuming they exist and aren't weeded out by the post-voting adjustment...

R.


Wow... I didn't know that I just assumed we couldn't vote on the one we entered.
I'm been trying to avoid the open challenges after a few drubbings recently.
11/14/2005 05:20:14 AM · #22
Just did a check on the results from the last 4 member and open chellenges (I didn't include the pumpkin challenge). Still not sure about these trolls but make what you want from these figures.

I have just added up the ones , two's and three's given to ribbon winners in the last four challenges.

Member Challenges:

1 = 4
2 = 9
3 = 33

Open Challenges:

1 = 12
2 = 30
3 = 65

Extra proof why I should try and avoid open challenges.

Message edited by author 2005-11-14 05:20:57.
11/14/2005 05:40:25 AM · #23
Originally posted by bear_music:

Originally posted by keegbow:


If we have these undersirable type of voters shouldn't it stand to reason that they also can only vote on one challenge.


We can VOTE on all the challenges; it's just that we can't ENTER both of them. Anyway, Harv's point was that with a lower number of votes per challenge, the impact of "troll" voters is proportionally higher ine ach challenge.

Assuming they exist and aren't weeded out by the post-voting adjustment...

R.


Assuming that the same absolute number of "trolls" vote in both challenges, and that the also are not affected by voters-fatigue like every one else.

Any way ... "trolls" ... bah ... humbug ...

Cheers
Tony

11/14/2005 05:44:01 AM · #24
Originally posted by keegbow:

Just did a check on the results from the last 4 member and open chellenges (I didn't include the pumpkin challenge). Still not sure about these trolls but make what you want from these figures.

I have just added up the ones , two's and three's given to ribbon winners in the last four challenges.

Member Challenges:

1 = 4
2 = 9
3 = 33

Open Challenges:

1 = 12
2 = 30
3 = 65

Extra proof why I should try and avoid open challenges.


And the actual number of entries for each set of challenges was? These numbers are only meaningful as percetages or ratios. I would also guess that the quality of member challenges is higher than the open ... people are laying down real money to participate and probably take more care in the preparation of the picture.

Cheers
Tony

11/14/2005 06:15:11 AM · #25
I think having a choice of two challenges is much better! It reduces the number of entries per challenge and I think it makes you work a bit more on which challenge to enter as to present your best work!
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 03/20/2019 12:08:38 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2019 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 03/20/2019 12:08:38 PM EDT.