DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Individual Photograph Discussion >> JPR's "Golden Light" used for Primate Conservation
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 29, (reverse)
AuthorThread
11/12/2005 02:29:36 PM · #1
Just thought I'd share this PM I received this week!

Hello--I'm the coordinator for the Primate Specialist Group, a
network of scientists working on primate conservation, and I wanted to ask permission to include a photo of yours as part of our upcoming website.
Your image of a mother langur and her infant is beautiful beyond
words--the colors are rich, the light is exquisite and their stillness is almost holy in its peace. Far more than any words, this image would
express something deep and universal, and which would help create a true empathy in our website audience. It is magnificent, and we would be honored to be able to include it.
You would receive credit on a special acknowledgements page, as
well as a link to your own website if you have one. Since we are a
non-profit organization, we will not sell, market, or otherwise profit from your image, and you would retain all copyrights.
We would also be interested in whatever you can tell us about the
circumstances of the photograph--where and when you took it, whether it
was a spontaneous shot or the result of careful coordination. This is
a powerful image, and we would very much appreciate being able to
include it--so, please let me know if you'd be willing!

Thank you very much,

John M.Aguiar
Coordinator, IUCN/SSC Primate Specialist Group

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/254/thumb/103105.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/254/thumb/103105.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

I am very happy that my photo is being used for this!
11/12/2005 02:32:40 PM · #2
What a feather in your cap!
Congrats - a superb shot for a worthy cause.

' . substr('//img99.exs.cx/img99/8577/yupi3ti.gif', strrpos('//img99.exs.cx/img99/8577/yupi3ti.gif', '/') + 1) . '
11/12/2005 02:33:42 PM · #3
SWEET!
11/12/2005 02:40:57 PM · #4
I am happy for you. Well done.
11/12/2005 02:44:37 PM · #5
awesome..
11/12/2005 02:44:46 PM · #6
Oh, very nice! Beautiful letter, that! Congrats.

R.
11/12/2005 02:48:34 PM · #7
Whoa, that is so cool!! Congrats JPR! Not surprised they chose this shot, superb work and it has a very special poignant quality that makes you stop, take another look, and think.
11/12/2005 03:04:11 PM · #8
Now there's a dude who can really appreciate a Langur. Beautiful letter. It must have made you feel like a million bucks...but in a non-profit kinda way.

Way to go...

Message edited by author 2005-11-12 15:06:00.
11/12/2005 03:12:28 PM · #9
Wow! Way to go. That is a very complimentary letter and it would be an honor to help such a non-profit.

Great job and a well deserved recognition.
11/12/2005 03:40:26 PM · #10
Originally posted by pawdrix:

It must have made you feel like a million bucks...but in a non-profit kinda way.


hahaha, exactly! I can't think of anything I would rather do with my photography. I never sell anything. I feel better giving it away to good causes.
11/12/2005 03:44:42 PM · #11
So cool!
But this poster really captured my feelings:

Originally posted by pawdrix:

Now there's a dude who can really appreciate a Langur!!!!! Beautiful letter!!!!!


(!!!'s mine.)
11/12/2005 04:04:15 PM · #12
Always thought this image was top notch, but the only thing the conservationist wrote that is humorous if not obscene is "and their stillness is almost holy in its peace".

Do we have to relate a couple of monkeys (primates if you will) to an unapproachable adjective as holy? Sounds like rhetoric of a bunch of monkey lovers....which by the way, how do you say to yourself, you know, I am going to devote my very life to saving some monkeys, because damn it, I just love them monkeys. Which brings up another point: If they will die eventually, then are you really saving them to begin with? Just makes me wonder why people choose seemingly useless ways to carry out their otherwise useful energies....

Anyway, nice image JPR, and hopefully more people can benefit from your successful eye.
11/12/2005 04:11:43 PM · #13
YIP YIP YIPEEE!
I'm thrilled for you
11/12/2005 04:16:40 PM · #14
Originally posted by Cutter:

Always thought this image was top notch, but the only thing the conservationist wrote that is humorous if not obscene is "and their stillness is almost holy in its peace".

Do we have to relate a couple of monkeys (primates if you will) to an unapproachable adjective as holy? Sounds like rhetoric of a bunch of monkey lovers....which by the way, how do you say to yourself, you know, I am going to devote my very life to saving some monkeys, because damn it, I just love them monkeys. Which brings up another point: If they will die eventually, then are you really saving them to begin with? Just makes me wonder why people choose seemingly useless ways to carry out their otherwise useful energies....

Anyway, nice image JPR, and hopefully more people can benefit from your successful eye.


I may agree with you, but really, now's not the time.
11/12/2005 04:47:27 PM · #15
Great shot and congrats on the recognition.
11/12/2005 05:04:05 PM · #16
Whoohoo! Congratulations!
11/12/2005 05:17:39 PM · #17
What a wonderful way to have your work recognized. It is a stunning photograph and deserves to be seen by those that will truly appreciate it. Congratulations JPR! :-)
11/12/2005 05:31:24 PM · #18
Great job and very well deserved. I love the lighting.
11/12/2005 05:32:04 PM · #19
That's wonderful. It really is an excellent photograph, one of my favorites on this site!
11/12/2005 05:45:29 PM · #20
Wow, cool! I've had a couple used as promotions for hospitals, but nothing so "prestigious."
11/12/2005 06:16:16 PM · #21
couldn't have happened to a better guy :)
11/12/2005 06:20:00 PM · #22
very cool


11/12/2005 06:25:13 PM · #23
I got the same PM as did at least one other DPC'er.

It kinda takes away the 'speshul' feeling but if it is all kosher then at least it is all for a good cause. At least one I believe in strongly.
11/12/2005 06:35:04 PM · #24
Originally posted by moodville:

I got the same PM as did at least one other DPC'er.

It kinda takes away the 'speshul' feeling but if it is all kosher then at least it is all for a good cause. At least one I believe in strongly.


I figured other people on the site were involved in this, you in particular. I hope it wasn't exactly the same PM, as that wouldn't make much sense, it seemed pretty specific to my photograph. I assumed they would be using more than a single image on their website.
11/23/2006 08:02:12 PM · #25
So I was bored at work and I googled myself and I found that this actually exists and I must say that it looks pretty darn good.

//www.primate-sg.org/critical.htm

Oh, and I do recognize a few names from dpc here :)

//www.primate-sg.org/credits.htm

Although they really should have given us credit where the photos are actually displayed.

Pages:  
Current Server Time: 12/15/2019 03:48:29 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2019 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 12/15/2019 03:48:29 AM EST.