DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

Threads will be shown in descending order for the remainder of this session. To permanently display posts in this order, adjust your preferences.
DPChallenge Forums >> Current Challenge >> Macro Outtakes
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 60, descending (reverse)
AuthorThread
11/18/2002 10:37:49 PM · #1
Originally posted by bod:
Originally posted by GeneralE:
[i]Does anyone else find it distracting when outtakes are posted immediately at the outset of the challenge? It seems to me they detract and divert atention from the actually-entered photos.

I think outtakes are best posted just after the conclusion of voting on a particular challenge, when comparisons with the now-rated photos are more relevant and discussion can be open instead of pseudo-anonymous.


I don't find it distracting as such, but do agree that the best time to discuss outtakes is after the voting.
This did happen a few weeks ago as my light source outtakes all contained the same object, so I had to wait till after the voting. I still got plenty of feedback so people are obviously still willing to discuss the previous photos.

The only way it is going to happen is for somebody to start a thread for the purpose each Monday morning. If people see that the feedback is better (in that comparisons to/comments on their entries can be made) after the event maybe they will start holding off posting outtakes during the challenge.

Just throwing 2 English pennies into the pot.[/i]

Of course, when you start a thread like this at night, it quickly becomes buried in the "expired" threads list as a bunch of new threads are started.
11/18/2002 09:45:42 PM · #2
Here's my Photoshopped outtake.
11/18/2002 09:28:46 PM · #3
Originally posted by stephan:
This is an outtake of my session with the glowstick.


Cool glowstick shot! I thought it was such a great subject when I saw your shot in the Macro challenge.

My macro outtake would be this Photoshopped [illegal] version of my Macro submission... open the curtain
11/18/2002 08:36:31 PM · #4
This is an outtake of my session with the glowstick. I didn't submit it because to me it was not close enough to the subject to fit for the challenge. Just wanted to share that.
11/17/2002 04:38:02 AM · #5
Originally posted by bod:
The only way it is going to happen is for somebody to start a thread for the purpose each Monday morning. If people see that the feedback is better (in that comparisons to/comments on their entries can be made) after the event maybe they will start holding off posting outtakes during the challenge.

Just throwing 2 English pennies into the pot.


Well, I'll try and do something this week since I have the perfect excuse of some similar requests to explain something in my Macro photo, and I have the "supporting" photos already posted for linking...
11/17/2002 04:32:03 AM · #6
Originally posted by GeneralE:
Does anyone else find it distracting when outtakes are posted immediately at the outset of the challenge? It seems to me they detract and divert atention from the actually-entered photos.

I think outtakes are best posted just after the conclusion of voting on a particular challenge, when comparisons with the now-rated photos are more relevant and discussion can be open instead of pseudo-anonymous.


I don't find it distracting as such, but do agree that the best time to discuss outtakes is after the voting.
This did happen a few weeks ago as my light source outtakes all contained the same object, so I had to wait till after the voting. I still got plenty of feedback so people are obviously still willing to discuss the previous photos.

The only way it is going to happen is for somebody to start a thread for the purpose each Monday morning. If people see that the feedback is better (in that comparisons to/comments on their entries can be made) after the event maybe they will start holding off posting outtakes during the challenge.

Just throwing 2 English pennies into the pot.
11/17/2002 04:27:50 AM · #7
Let's have the related ones after the voting. I have been able to casually link 5 or 6 people to their submitted photos just from the comments/outtakes they have submitted this week, including your pen shot Carsten. That's clearly against the spirit of the anonymous submissions.

James.
11/17/2002 04:02:54 AM · #8
Originally posted by GeneralE:
I think outtakes are best posted just after the conclusion of voting on a particular challenge, when comparisons with the now-rated photos are more relevant and discussion can be open instead of pseudo-anonymous.

I agree with you completely. I was surprised seven weeks ago when I joined DpChallenge that you were doing this. In the old days and old photo-challenges you told people afterwards how you have done and at the same time you showed your outtakes (if you had any). This is the first time I have showed mine and I think it tends to be too many of this. Perhaps we should have one permanent place where we all put our outtakes-links if we want to. It´s very interesting seeing outtakes but I agree with you: Let´s have them after the challenge.
11/17/2002 02:13:14 AM · #9
OK, so here's a sort-of outtake (was taken after the Macro deadline but while I was still thinking about it)...Sundae Rose, Monday Morning.

* This message has been edited by the author on 11/17/2002 2:11:16 AM.
11/17/2002 12:05:34 AM · #10
That's why I feel there's more of an emphasis on the "contest" aspect of the site than the "learning" aspect right now. If we wanted to learn more effectively, we'd be going back and reviewing each other's work after the voting, and with the comments revealed to all.

It's always an awkward point that people want to talk about photos and outtakes, but can't while the voting is active and the photographers and commenters are supposed to be mutually anonymous...

Just think about what we'd be doing if this was a phototgraphy class which met once a week: We'd toss our current submissions into the bin for the upcoming week of grading, and discuss last week's results.

Still want to take advantage of that exchange rate, but Canada's too cold right now for a native Californian...
11/16/2002 11:16:32 PM · #11
I dunno. I think it's kind of fun to post and see outtakes at the start of the challenge while the topic is still "hot". By the end of the week, most people are pretty much bored with it and excited with the upcoming week's topic and voting.

Just my $.02 ... $.0314 Canadian. :)


Originally posted by GeneralE:
Does anyone else find it distracting when outtakes are posted immediately at the outset of the challenge? It seems to me they detract and divert atention from the actually-entered photos.

I think outtakes are best posted just after the conclusion of voting on a particular challenge, when comparisons with the now-rated photos are more relevant and discussion can be open instead of pseudo-anonymous.



11/16/2002 10:54:54 PM · #12
Does anyone else find it distracting when outtakes are posted immediately at the outset of the challenge? It seems to me they detract and divert atention from the actually-entered photos.

I think outtakes are best posted just after the conclusion of voting on a particular challenge, when comparisons with the now-rated photos are more relevant and discussion can be open instead of pseudo-anonymous.
11/16/2002 07:05:03 PM · #13
as usual mine are up too.. check the signature...
11/16/2002 11:37:57 AM · #14
Carsten: I really liked both waterhole and coloured pens. Good stuff!
11/16/2002 11:00:18 AM · #15
wow. so simple. yet so effective.

i can't wait to see what you did submit.


:0)

Originally posted by carsten:
Originally posted by magnetic9999:
[i]carsten: the water hole is really excellent! what is the color from?


I had a bowl with water and a red dishcloth inside it. That made the red colour.
Yes youre right your "brained" is really good[/i]

11/16/2002 10:48:58 AM · #16
Originally posted by magnetic9999:
carsten: the water hole is really excellent! what is the color from?

I had a bowl with water and a red dishcloth inside it. That made the red colour.
Yes youre right your "brained" is really good.

* This message has been edited by the author on 11/16/2002 10:50:54 AM.
11/16/2002 10:30:25 AM · #17
carsten: the water hole is really excellent! what is the color from?
i also feel i should have submitted a different picture (the outtake called 'brained' on my linkj above).

jkr: i like nuts then rust in that order : ) .. something about the nuts are very strong compositionally for me.

Originally posted by carsten:
I´m having a really bad week with my entry this week. Round 4,3 and it´s my own fault for choosing the wrong shot.
Here´s some other photos I had to choose between:
[url=//www.pbase.com/cabe47/macro]Carstens macro-outtakes[/link


11/16/2002 02:47:22 AM · #18
I´m having a really bad week with my entry this week. Round 4,3 and it´s my own fault for choosing the wrong shot.
Here´s some other photos I had to choose between:
Carstens macro-outtakes

* This message has been edited by the author on 11/16/2002 3:12:28 AM.
11/15/2002 10:37:31 PM · #19
Originally posted by Azrifel:
Originally posted by jlr:
[i]I put these up today.

Comments, if you have time, are appreciated.


I like the rust one the most.



[/i]

Thanks. Actually, when I previewed that one right after taking it I decided that it was definitely in the running.
11/15/2002 06:44:04 PM · #20
Originally posted by jlr:
I put these up today.

Comments, if you have time, are appreciated.


I like the rust one the most.



11/15/2002 03:33:32 PM · #21
I think I like seeing the outtakes as much as I like seeing the entries. Some really good stuff here.

Unfortunately, despite this being once challenge I was pretty sure I could meet, my computer chose Saturday afternoon to take a dive. I got back online shortly before midnight, with not enough time to even go through my many (50+) shots and make a decision.

I put these up today.

Comments, if you have time, are appreciated.
11/12/2002 10:34:31 PM · #22
<<awe mag ya got it all wrong... down here in Texas we call those bodark apples, or horse apples>>

Huh, funny, where I come from "horse apples" has an entirely different meaning. ;-)
11/12/2002 10:10:11 PM · #23
i am really blown away by the quality of people's outtakes :)

i did not see one set in this bunch that didn't have a shot that impressed me.

i find macro photography is a lot of fun and i'm very glad that so many other people here also had as much fun with it as I did !

thanks for the show n tell ...
11/12/2002 09:06:39 PM · #24
Here are a few macro shots I took last week, but didn't think to enter (didn't have time).
11/12/2002 08:42:43 PM · #25
Originally posted by magnetic9999:
HERE ARE THE IMAGES which I did not submit for macro.

I may not have submitted the best choice in terms of score but the shot I did turn in is one i am very happy with.

However, it would be interesting to hear what would people would have rated any of these outtake images :) >> ... THX ....



I like "Brained"...Interesting patterns and colors. good luck in this challenge.

My Photos

Pages:  
Current Server Time: 01/18/2020 10:04:22 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 01/18/2020 10:04:22 PM EST.