DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Photography Discussion >> No Photographing the Dead
Pages:  
Showing posts 51 - 75 of 156, (reverse)
AuthorThread
09/07/2005 05:05:16 PM · #51
Originally posted by louddog:

They get in the way and take up space.



As a matter of policy FEMA has always welcomed journalists along on search and rescue operations as a source of good PR. This is a precedent.

I didn't post the original link because it would have been hard for many people to open, but here is the original story from Reuters:

FEMA accused of censorship
09/07/2005 05:12:02 PM · #52
Originally posted by karmat:

As a "photographer" I would want to the ability to document. I know i would be scrupulous with the pics, but unfortunately, not everyone is, and I am sure there are photogs out there who would use it as a "drama" tool.

As a "family member" (I'm not, but if I were) I would not want my loved ones picture flashed across the 6 o'clock news as a dead, rotting corpse, no matter how "documentary" it was, even if I already knew they were dead.

As a "rescuer" (again, I'm not, but if I were) my job is gruesome and painful enough. I really don't do this for fun. The last thing I want/need is someone taking pictures. (I do sincerely hope they are not banning them just to cover their butt).


That is one of the best posts I have read - very well put. Everyone has their own viewpoint, and depending on your own circumstances it will certainly vary.
09/07/2005 05:12:08 PM · #53
Everything I could find on this story said FEMA simply ASKED that press not photograph the dead out of respect for the families and refused to allow press on the rescue boats because they take up valuable space. If this has been made a law and it is being enforced, please advise.

There is nothing stopping you from jumping in your own boat and taking all the guts and gore photos you want, FEMA just will not charter the boat for you.


09/07/2005 05:17:09 PM · #54
Originally posted by louddog:

Everything I could find on this story said FEMA simply ASKED that press not photograph the dead out of respect for the families and refused to allow press on the rescue boats because they take up valuable space. If this has been made a law and it is being enforced, please advise.

There is nothing stopping you from jumping in your own boat and taking all the guts and gore photos you want, FEMA just will not charter the boat for you.


Have you ever been ASKED by an agency of the Federal government to do or not to do something? And by the way, try to get in there now with your own boat and see how far you get.
09/07/2005 05:19:09 PM · #55
I've followed this post with a lot of interest. It is a real dilemma for those who earn a living from shooting events for a living.

I can see it from all view points. Morally, it should be recorded, but then again there are families who should be spared media coverage. Fema are right that space in their boats should be reserved for emergency personnel only. So what should be done?

If possible, without hampering the emergency operation, this should be recorded, not for the news bulletins, but for prosperity. I am glad that I am not faced with such a choice. I hope the right thing is done and that all sides can perform in their fields without interference.

Steve

Message edited by author 2005-09-07 17:19:54.
09/07/2005 05:29:58 PM · #56
Originally posted by Formerlee:

....Morally, it should be recorded, but then again there are families who should be spared media coverage. Fema are right that space in their boats should be reserved for emergency personnel only. So what should be done?

If possible, without hampering the emergency operation, this should be recorded, not for the news bulletins, but for prosperity.....


The media had no qualms about recording the thousands of dead bodies being pushed into pits by bulldozers back in January after the Tsunami...

Oh yeah, that happened in a "Third World" country...their lives are less valuable than American lives...Sickening!!!! You have more freedom in Indonesia than in the US these days....

<End Rant>
09/07/2005 05:47:15 PM · #57
Originally posted by nsbca7:

Have you ever been ASKED by an agency of the Federal government to do or not to do something? And by the way, try to get in there now with your own boat and see how far you get.


Do you have any cases of them forcing someone to stop shooting gore? let me know if they actually try to stop someone as there are no laws against it. There are cameras all over down there. The gore photos have already been on TV, the internet and the newspaper. I'm sure the censors at the big news stations have spared us the worst ones.

And... Geraldo Rivera and Sean Penn (with his personal photographer) seemed to get in there with their own boats just fine. Katie Curic waded out their in hip waders or you could shoot the gore from a helicopter if you really feel you need to. I have not heard of anyone being stopped.
09/07/2005 05:48:38 PM · #58
I think we ar forgetting somthing here... A photograph is an object neither moral or immoral, We as a society have taken and treasured photos of death and suffering, it is a reflection of humanity and stirrs emotions that cause people to act.
09/07/2005 05:58:59 PM · #59
Originally posted by louddog:

Originally posted by nsbca7:

Have you ever been ASKED by an agency of the Federal government to do or not to do something? And by the way, try to get in there now with your own boat and see how far you get.


Do you have any cases of them forcing someone to stop shooting gore? let me know if they actually try to stop someone as there are no laws against it. There are cameras all over down there. The gore photos have already been on TV, the internet and the newspaper. I'm sure the censors at the big news stations have spared us the worst ones.

And... Geraldo Rivera and Sean Penn (with his personal photographer) seemed to get in there with their own boats just fine. Katie Curic waded out their in hip waders or you could shoot the gore from a helicopter if you really feel you need to. I have not heard of anyone being stopped.


Most of the reporters who are there now got in before anyone from the Federal goverment bothered to show up. As far as anyone being denied access, I'm sure you will hear more of that in the coming days.
09/07/2005 06:09:00 PM · #60
Tell you what...one of these days, a cop is going to mess with a photographer who had a bad day...and regret it. I never understood, like when I would even get pulled over and stuff, how the cop could be so ignorant when I would be so polite calling him sir and so on...for just stuff like going 37 in a 25 for example...For the most part, cops are idiots and SEVERELY lack respect.
09/07/2005 06:12:18 PM · #61
Originally posted by deapee:

...For the most part, cops are idiots and SEVERELY lack respect.


Perhaps that depends on where you are. I used to think that way when I lived in NJ.
09/07/2005 07:34:05 PM · #62
Originally posted by nsbca7:

Most of the reporters who are there now got in before anyone from the Federal goverment bothered to show up. As far as anyone being denied access, I'm sure you will hear more of that in the coming days.


As soon as you have factual information that the press was stopped from taking photos of dead bodies or entering the area by authority figures, be sure to let me know. Until then, you do not have an argument.
09/07/2005 07:53:00 PM · #63
Originally posted by deapee:

Tell you what...one of these days, a cop is going to mess with a photographer who had a bad day...and regret it. I never understood, like when I would even get pulled over and stuff, how the cop could be so ignorant when I would be so polite calling him sir and so on...for just stuff like going 37 in a 25 for example...For the most part, cops are idiots and SEVERELY lack respect.


If you are the one going 37 in a 25, why on earth is the COP the idiot?

Things must be a lot different up north. Down here, most every police officer I know is intelligent, capable, and quite respectful. Then again, I've never argued with one because if I am in the wrong, I admit it and then there is no need for argument in the first place.
09/07/2005 07:54:16 PM · #64
Originally posted by louddog:

Originally posted by nsbca7:

Most of the reporters who are there now got in before anyone from the Federal goverment bothered to show up. As far as anyone being denied access, I'm sure you will hear more of that in the coming days.


As soon as you have factual information that the press was stopped from taking photos of dead bodies or entering the area by authority figures, be sure to let me know. Until then, you do not have an argument.


Here.

Usually what comes to the surface is just the tip of the iceberg, so take this any way you care to.
09/07/2005 07:56:41 PM · #65
why didn't the press get their own boats?
09/07/2005 08:01:48 PM · #66
Originally posted by laurielblack:



Things must be a lot different up north. Down here, most every police officer I know is intelligent, capable, and quite respectful. Then again, I've never argued with one because if I am in the wrong, I admit it and then there is no need for argument in the first place.


You may not know. Here in Alabama and I'm sure in Texas the police are usually very courteous and polite as long as youíre not trying to spit on them or something. Iíve been places where that was seldom the case.

Example: I was once told ďget out of the vehicle, maggot!Ē at a routine traffic stop by a NJ State Trooper, Iím guessing because I had a Harley emblem on the back window of my pick-up.


09/07/2005 08:08:39 PM · #67
I agree with Laurie!

Originally posted by laurielblack:

I cannot accept any argument FOR allowing pictures of the dead (from Katrina, or any other catastrophy, including war) to be published or posted...these people have been through enough trauma already. Seeing their dead children or parents or other loved ones on TV or in the paper will serve no purpose but to make them relive the trauma yet again, and to satisfy the morbid curiosity of people who don't have scruples of their own. Let the dead rest in peace, and let the living gather up what little remains of their sanity and lives to begin moving forward.

The victims, and most especially the children, will relive the horror over and over again in their own minds. I don't think journalists need to add to that.

09/07/2005 08:13:35 PM · #68
Originally posted by gi_joe05:

why didn't the press get their own boats?


Some of them do have their own boats. But if you had one and wanted to get in now I doubt the authorities would let you. The only reason there is as much press there now as there is is because FEMA never showed up in force until Friday and Saturday, five days late.

I was in Bayou la Batre Thursday where everything is now calmed down and everyone has water. An NBC News team was going up the bayou on a shallow draft platform boat owned by the Federal government while an Alabama State Trooper stood guard of their vehicles.

It is common practice for FEMA to take journalists along on search and rescue missions. This is an exception because FEMA is currently being shown in a bad light. A light they have lit themselves, Iím afraid.


09/07/2005 08:27:07 PM · #69
Wasn't it the US army who were photographing dead Iraqis and posting them up on a web site for all to see?
09/07/2005 08:27:53 PM · #70
Originally posted by nsbca7:

Here.

Usually what comes to the surface is just the tip of the iceberg, so take this any way you care to.


Ummmm....

That is a couple cops being idiots, not the press being banned from taking photos of dead people. Let me know when you have a real example.
09/07/2005 08:33:27 PM · #71
Originally posted by louddog:

Originally posted by nsbca7:

Here.

Usually what comes to the surface is just the tip of the iceberg, so take this any way you care to.


Ummmm....

That is a couple cops being idiots, not the press being banned from taking photos of dead people. Let me know when you have a real example.


You asked for authorities stopping journalists from doing their job. You now have an example.

Isn't that about the same reply you gave when the Abu Ghurayb story first came out. I think you used the words "a few bad apples" that time.
09/07/2005 08:36:24 PM · #72
Originally posted by nsbca7:

Some of them do have their own boats. But if you had one and wanted to get in now I doubt the authorities would let you.


You doubt????

Any proof or are you just guessing/assuming to prove your point?

Originally posted by nsbca7:

It is common practice for FEMA to take journalists along on search and rescue missions. This is an exception because FEMA is currently being shown in a bad light. A light they have lit themselves, Iím afraid.


Is it comon practice to bring reporters and photograpers along on body recovery missions? Search and rescue, and recovery are two different things. I babysat reporters on S&R missions, we kept them away on recovery missions.
09/07/2005 08:38:20 PM · #73
Originally posted by nsbca7:

Isn't that about the same reply you gave when the Abu Ghurayb story first came out. I think you used the words "a few bad apples" that time.


I don't remember what I said way back then, if anything??? Are you trying to change the subject?
09/07/2005 08:40:25 PM · #74
Originally posted by nsbca7:

You asked for authorities stopping journalists from doing their job. You now have an example.


No I didn't, please re-read what I wrote. It was pretty specific.
09/07/2005 08:44:56 PM · #75
Originally posted by kirbic:

Of course the media are to blame in some respects for this attitude, with the lack of scruples as to what they wil air.


The media is simply reacting to what is popular. If there is demand they will show it otherwise it will not see the light of day - simple really and I doubt as a whole they have any values other than ratings.

I think that "banning" photos is wrong (just as it is for the dead from the various wars). I could care less if nobody sees - or wants to - the photos; most people have hundreds of channels, pick another one. How do we know it's not politicans covering their a** unless somebody records it (I suspect it is this in any case).
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 01/27/2021 08:57:25 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2021 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 01/27/2021 08:57:25 AM EST.