DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Tips, Tricks, and Q&A >> Property Rules??
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 11 of 11, (reverse)
AuthorThread
07/27/2005 02:32:07 AM · #1
This may be a dumb question, but what are the rules for submitting a photo of someone else's property?(ex. a house)
07/27/2005 02:34:52 AM · #2
Originally posted by scsher29:

This may be a dumb question, but what are the rules for submitting a photo of someone else's property?(ex. a house)


You must first purchase the property from them. Then, the Terms of Service on DPC require that you turn over the deed to the administrators if you post an image of said property on this site.

Heehee. Just kidding. I don't know, but someone does...
07/27/2005 02:35:14 AM · #3
I really can't see how it would be a problem unless you somehow identified them. I really don't want any crazy psychopaths coming to my house because they saw the address in a photograph ;-) But beyond that? Open game, it would seem.
07/27/2005 02:39:37 AM · #4
If you are on public property, and not making special effort to invade their privacy, a shot of the building is perfectly legal for our purposes. You may be restricted from making commercial use of it.

Check out this site for more info on your rights and responsibilities as a photographer:

//www.krages.com/bpkphoto.htm

Be sure to download and carry with you the PDF of the summary.
07/27/2005 02:40:00 AM · #5
Thanks, I definately wouldn't show the address or anything, just don't want to get into trouble. I'm new to all of this.
07/27/2005 02:40:50 AM · #6
Depends on teh property - PPG in Pittsburgh is really picky about letting you photograph their 30_ story skyscraper.
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/16648/thumb/141452.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/16648/thumb/141452.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
It is the castle looking one in the middle.

Some claim copyright or some such similar hokum on building designs.

See no problems (as i dodge the lightning bolts...)
07/27/2005 02:41:25 AM · #7
Far as I know there isn't a 'rule' for submitting HERE a photo of someone elses house or property. I would though out of respect, probably not show an address or anything, or anything personal like their kids playing in their yard or something.
I know I'd be quite upset if someone submitted a photo of my house and it identified me in any way.
Worst case scenario...
Submit a photo of a house. Address on the side of the (very wealthy)house, kids toys in the yard. You titled it 'The Ralston's'.
A perv looking to kidnap some kids says...'sweet...there's kids at the ralston's at street address 7878, I'll kidnap their kids'
So what? There's probably a million 7878's in the world. Well...he does a switchboard search for Ralston in SC (since we can assume it's a house near you) and he sees that alas! there is a ralston at 7878 toad street. He drives to 7878 toad street, kidnaps the kids, calls for ransom. Mom and Dad have to pay billions of dollars and call the police to get their kids back safely.
Like I said...no rule against it...but be careful. :)
07/27/2005 02:47:40 AM · #8
Originally posted by hbunch7187:

Far as I know there isn't a 'rule' for submitting HERE a photo of someone elses house or property. I would though out of respect, probably not show an address or anything, or anything personal like their kids playing in their yard or something.
I know I'd be quite upset if someone submitted a photo of my house and it identified me in any way.
Worst case scenario...
Submit a photo of a house. Address on the side of the (very wealthy)house, kids toys in the yard. You titled it 'The Ralston's'.
A perv looking to kidnap some kids says...'sweet...there's kids at the ralston's at street address 7878, I'll kidnap their kids'
So what? There's probably a million 7878's in the world. Well...he does a switchboard search for Ralston in SC (since we can assume it's a house near you) and he sees that alas! there is a ralston at 7878 toad street. He drives to 7878 toad street, kidnaps the kids, calls for ransom. Mom and Dad have to pay billions of dollars and call the police to get their kids back safely.
Like I said...no rule against it...but be careful. :)

Dayum! That was quite an involved hypothetical. As a potential kidnapper looking for an opportunity, I might be salivating over the "Affluence" challenge. LOL
07/27/2005 02:49:19 AM · #9
Thanks for the link to the PDF, GeneralE. Very instructive.
07/27/2005 02:54:49 AM · #10
Thanks all who helped. I appreciate it!
07/27/2005 03:00:38 AM · #11
Originally posted by Prof_Fate:

Some claim copyright or some such similar hokum on building designs.

It's not "hokum," it is US copyright law, and applies to buildings built after 1986 or so.

Here is the Special Releases List of buildings for which you need a release from the property-owner.

Note that these rules restrict your use of the photo, but do not say you can't photograph a building for personal or educational use. Just don't try to sell the image or make other commercial use of it and it doesn't matter.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 10/25/2020 06:16:23 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 10/25/2020 06:16:23 PM EDT.