DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Tips, Tricks, and Q&A >> Help with Canon 350D / RAW / PS Question
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 29, (reverse)
AuthorThread
04/01/2005 12:41:48 AM · #1
I just purchased a Canon 350D and have Photoshop CS and ImageReady CS. Today was the first time I took pictures with the camera and I took a few in JPG and a few in RAW. When I go to PS I can open the JPG files with no problem but if try to open a RAW file it pops up a dreaded boxes with a red circle and a X inside it that says Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document. BTW my camera saves RAW files as IMG_00001.CR2 as an example.
I have tried reading the online help for CS but I cant seem to get it. I have read the 350D handbook completely and it does not go into deal on this issue.
If anyone knows the proper setup for this I would be grateful if you would share your knowledge. I want to do it right without loosing my EXIF data.
Thanks,
Scott.

04/01/2005 12:44:16 AM · #2
Originally posted by SDW65:

I just purchased a Canon 350D and have Photoshop CS and ImageReady CS. Today was the first time I took pictures with the camera and I took a few in JPG and a few in RAW. When I go to PS I can open the JPG files with no problem but if try to open a RAW file it pops up a dreaded boxes with a red circle and a X inside it that says Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document. BTW my camera saves RAW files as IMG_00001.CR2 as an example.
I have tried reading the online help for CS but I cant seem to get it. I have read the 350D handbook completely and it does not go into deal on this issue.
If anyone knows the proper setup for this I would be grateful if you would share your knowledge. I want to do it right without loosing my EXIF data.
Thanks,
Scott.


Go to //www.adobe.com and download the Raw upgrade. The version of Photoshop that you have was obviously created before the 350D was put on the market.
04/01/2005 12:44:42 AM · #3
or use Digital Photo Professional that came with your camera to convert the CR2 files to tiff and open that in photoshop.

Message edited by author 2005-04-01 00:45:14.
04/01/2005 12:46:47 AM · #4
The RAW upgrade is 2.4, the same one that the 20D uses.
04/01/2005 12:48:43 AM · #5
Originally posted by Philos31:

or use Digital Photo Professional that came with your camera to convert the CR2 files to tiff and open that in photoshop.


That was what Canon sugested to me when I called them about this very question. Not an option for me. I like PS Raw Utility.
04/01/2005 01:01:07 AM · #6
Originally posted by dpdave:

The RAW upgrade is 2.4, the same one that the 20D uses.

Just did the 2.4 upgrade on RAW and it still says the same thing and will not open it. ????
04/01/2005 01:12:04 AM · #7
Is there a special setup is PS I have to do to open RAW files?
04/01/2005 01:16:28 AM · #8
Originally posted by SDW65:

Originally posted by dpdave:

The RAW upgrade is 2.4, the same one that the 20D uses.

Just did the 2.4 upgrade on RAW and it still says the same thing and will not open it. ????


After you download the files you have to open them and install them into the Photoshop Plugins folder.
04/01/2005 01:30:01 AM · #9
Originally posted by nsbca7:

Originally posted by SDW65:

Originally posted by dpdave:

The RAW upgrade is 2.4, the same one that the 20D uses.

Just did the 2.4 upgrade on RAW and it still says the same thing and will not open it. ????


After you download the files you have to open them and install them into the Photoshop Plugins folder.


I did it exactly as posted on Adobe web site, "Installation Instructions". The download also came with a read file and it was the same as the sites installation process.
I was reading in PS about RAW and it was saying something about go to advanced mode, etc, etc... went over my head.. so I didn't know if I had to set up CS for raw other than the patch download.

04/01/2005 01:36:48 AM · #10
Originally posted by SDW65:

Originally posted by nsbca7:

Originally posted by SDW65:

Originally posted by dpdave:

The RAW upgrade is 2.4, the same one that the 20D uses.

Just did the 2.4 upgrade on RAW and it still says the same thing and will not open it. ????


After you download the files you have to open them and install them into the Photoshop Plugins folder.


I did it exactly as posted on Adobe web site, "Installation Instructions". The download also came with a read file and it was the same as the sites installation process.
I was reading in PS about RAW and it was saying something about go to advanced mode, etc, etc... went over my head.. so I didn't know if I had to set up CS for raw other than the patch download.


So you unziped the file, deleted the old Raw file from the Plugins folder and installed the new one?
04/01/2005 01:43:27 AM · #11
If you installed the raw plugin while ps is open on your computer, you might try to turn ps off and then on again, better yet restart your computer.
04/01/2005 01:45:26 AM · #12
When you download the zip file you have two files [the 2.4 raw plug-in and a readme]. I did not delete the old raw plug in, I placed it in another folder as advised by the instrutions. Then I placed the new 2.4 plug-in in adobe > Photoshop CS > Plug-ins > File Formats folder where the original "Camera RAW" file was.
04/01/2005 01:47:10 AM · #13
Originally posted by undieyatch:

If you installed the raw plugin while ps is open on your computer, you might try to turn ps off and then on again, better yet restart your computer.


I turned PS off while doing the upgrade but I have not tried rebooting my computer. I will try that now and let you know if that makes a difference.

04/01/2005 01:54:23 AM · #14
Reboot did not help...

I noticed that the 2.4 plug-in was updated in January 2005 and the 350D came out after that. Is there anyone else that is having this problem with the 350D? I can go to the software supplied by canon and open the RAW file with no problem but I like working in PS.
04/01/2005 02:02:25 AM · #15
It is possible the 350 is not compatible with ver. 2.4. Another reason for your error message is that you may be trying to drag or open the raw file without using the ps browser. You must use the ps File Browser and probably double click on the file you want. File Browser is not the same as File/Open. File Browser is at upper right on cs little file with the magnifying glass. This may or may not be true, but I have received error messages on some occasions without using the file browser, but not always.

Message edited by author 2005-04-01 02:38:15.
04/01/2005 02:51:57 AM · #16
Originally posted by SDW65:

When you download the zip file you have two files [the 2.4 raw plug-in and a readme]. I did not delete the old raw plug in, I placed it in another folder as advised by the instrutions. Then I placed the new 2.4 plug-in in adobe > Photoshop CS > Plug-ins > File Formats folder where the original "Camera RAW" file was.


I had to remove the old Raw file from the Plugin folder to get mine to work. You are using CR2 Raw files, which are the same files that my 1D Mk II creates.
04/01/2005 02:58:14 AM · #17
The .CR2 files are common throughout the 1D series and the 20D. I suppose it's possible that Canon changed something small, but I wouldn't think so.
04/01/2005 03:01:22 AM · #18
Originally posted by dpdave:

The .CR2 files are common throughout the 1D series and the 20D. I suppose it's possible that Canon changed something small, but I wouldn't think so.


No, I think the 1D Mk II is the only camera in the 1D line that uses CR2s. My 1Ds didn't.
04/01/2005 03:04:31 AM · #19
the 20D does, I just double checked. But didn't notice you said 1D line...ooops.

Edit after reading the original post refered to ;0)

Message edited by author 2005-04-01 03:05:33.
04/01/2005 04:41:16 AM · #20
Ed just use this address //www.pixmantec.com/index2.html for an absolutely superb FREE application that will totally transform your RAW conversion. Ed Clarke (e301) recommended this to me and I must say its not only far better than Photoshop RAW but its also a full and free version. Enjoy!
05/06/2005 12:02:22 AM · #21
ditto to the above problems. adobe photoshop does not open raw files take on EOS 350D regardless of all the methods tried. you'd be better off waiting for the update or using the program that came with the camera. (apologies for the post. it's just that i chanced upon this forum during my search on this problem)

Message edited by author 2005-05-06 00:03:45.
09/29/2005 04:37:45 PM · #22
I have a 20D and have had no problems with RAW formats and PS CS (version 8) using the plugin 2.4 and DNG converter. I am now using a borrowed 350D right now as the 20D has been sent back to Canon for a new shutter. I am using the 350 in the same way as the 20D but I cannot get either DNG convertor or PS CS to open the files. Everything in this thread I am aware of but I'm still trying to find out why this camera doesn't produce correct CR2 files. I am using MAC OSX 10.3.9 so the recommendation to go to Pixmantec.com doesn't help since that s/w is Windows only... oh and YES using a card reader is the only way to go, USB2 or FIREWIRE.
09/29/2005 04:41:16 PM · #23
Camera Raw 3.1 update from Adobe. (not 3rd-party software)

I have been using it and must say, like the inner workings of using RAW.
09/29/2005 06:40:33 PM · #24
I also can`t open 350d raw files with photoshop cs.
It is impossible you have to upgrade to cs2 sc1093ss.gif
09/30/2005 01:05:03 PM · #25
[quote=marbo] I also can`t open 350d raw files with photoshop cs.
It is impossible you have to upgrade to cs2

This is bad news Adobe! I'm getting fed-up (not to mention poorer) of having to upgrade to the next version... CS is good enough for me apart from this and I refuse to part with more cash. Therefore I'm still searching for a Mac friendly solution to this...
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 11/18/2018 01:50:59 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2018 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 11/18/2018 01:50:59 PM EST.