DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> The Critique Club >> your opinion please: night shots
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 18 of 18, (reverse)
AuthorThread
02/09/2005 01:33:55 AM · #1
I've been trying to get some good nighttime shots lately. I took a few when I was in Sydney last week on a photo shoot. If possible, I would really like to have these images critiqued to see if I am heading in the right direction.

Thanks for your time.

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/32147/thumb/142482.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/32147/thumb/142482.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/32147/thumb/142483.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/32147/thumb/142483.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/32147/thumb/142484.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/32147/thumb/142484.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
02/09/2005 01:35:37 AM · #2
Wait! This would have made a great Bridge entry! Nice work.
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/32147/thumb/142483.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/32147/thumb/142483.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
02/09/2005 01:39:25 AM · #3
To be back there again, hmmmm.

Not that good at critiques, yet! However, I really love the Bridge photo (Darling_Harbour_Sydney_2.jpg) and then the city scape ( Darling_Harbour_Sydney_1.jpg). The last one, hmmm just doesn't do it for me.

Also, like jbsmithana said, I think your bridge picture would have done well in the current challenge!
02/09/2005 01:44:02 AM · #4
As usual... lol. I shot all of these on the 1st of Feb so they couldnt be entered anyway. Thats usually just my luck. I had some great japanese architechture shots taken a day before the latest architecture challenge was posted too.

Thank you for your comments, though. I am glad to see that somebody is having a look. Cheers!
02/09/2005 01:54:08 AM · #5
You're doing very well. You're avoiding the "yawning chasm of sky" pitfall, and you have that much sought after "velvety" look. I'm not sure if your overall "flourescent green" cast is the direction you want to go, but that's easily 'shopped anyway...

Robt.
02/09/2005 03:27:56 AM · #6
Thanks, Rob.

Could you by chance provide an example of the Yawning Chasm of Sky? I am not quite sure what you mean. I am assuming that you mean that the sky in the photo would be too prominent or too bright?

Originally posted by bear_music:

You're doing very well. You're avoiding the "yawning chasm of sky" pitfall, and you have that much sought after "velvety" look. I'm not sure if your overall "flourescent green" cast is the direction you want to go, but that's easily 'shopped anyway...

Robt.
02/10/2005 02:12:29 AM · #7
[thumb]IMAGE_ID=145425[/thumb] Just took this 1 hour ago. Nighshot, placed it in the action gallery
02/10/2005 02:15:54 AM · #8
Originally posted by RulerZigzag:

[thumb]IMAGE_ID=145425[/thumb] Just took this 1 hour ago. Nighshot, placed it in the action gallery

I think this is what you where looking for, you only want the number pasted between the [thumb] thingys.

[thumb]145425[/thumb]

Nice photo.

Ok that is not working, Let me see....


Message edited by author 2005-02-10 02:17:53.
02/10/2005 02:18:15 AM · #9
thanks scott..didnt work for you too huh..simple tasks , oh the simple tasks.
02/10/2005 02:20:00 AM · #10
Originally posted by RulerZigzag:

thanks scott..didnt work for you too huh..simple tasks , oh the simple tasks.


I must be getting sleepy cus I can't see what it does not work.
02/10/2005 02:40:58 AM · #11
I like the bridge picture a lot. The flags make nice feeling of smoothness here. I would probably increase the contrast, just little bit, and I would do it slightly darker.
02/10/2005 02:41:28 AM · #12
lonewolf,
The one with the bridge works best for me. The water looks wonderful I like the light on the sandstone bridge supports and the light on the hazy? sky is nice. What time was it taken?
I was at Darling Harbour two days ago looking at the same view, I made a mental note of what I'd like to shoot, and yours is one that I would have taken (daylight version) had I not had two kids, husband and 38C heat to contend with.
02/10/2005 03:14:12 AM · #13
Originally posted by lonewolfone:

Thanks, Rob.

Could you by chance provide an example of the Yawning Chasm of Sky? I am not quite sure what you mean. I am assuming that you mean that the sky in the photo would be too prominent or too bright?

Originally posted by bear_music:

You're doing very well. You're avoiding the "yawning chasm of sky" pitfall, and you have that much sought after "velvety" look. I'm not sure if your overall "flourescent green" cast is the direction you want to go, but that's easily 'shopped anyway...

Robt.


The opposite, actually; the great flaw in most night shots is a pure, empty black sky, with any part of the landscape or structure that is not well-lit just fading off into the sky with no separation. You can see many examples in the challenge archives in the "Classy Ornament" challenge runa round xmas time.

Your night shots have tremendous "presence" of sky in them. Another exceptionally good night sky is the second place finisher in the recent 3's challenge.

Robt.
02/10/2005 03:50:52 AM · #14
Love the shot of the Pyrmont Bridge. Its one of my favourite places in Sydney. So much happening on and around it in Darling Harbour. Your shot captures it perfectly.
02/10/2005 06:13:52 PM · #15
Originally posted by datcat:

lonewolf,
The one with the bridge works best for me. The water looks wonderful I like the light on the sandstone bridge supports and the light on the hazy? sky is nice. What time was it taken?
I was at Darling Harbour two days ago looking at the same view, I made a mental note of what I'd like to shoot, and yours is one that I would have taken (daylight version) had I not had two kids, husband and 38C heat to contend with.


Thanks datcat. I was fortunate to be there right before a big rainstorm - hence the sky had some really low, fast moving clouds. That is one of the elements in this series that really helps - as it helps to extend the colors of the lights upward for more of a "glow effect".

I have a few more angles of this bridge that I'll process later on, but I thought the shot that I put up here was probably the best one. However, as some of you mentioned, I am not quite happy with the green cast on the image. A bit more work is probably in order.
02/10/2005 06:20:12 PM · #16
Originally posted by bear_music:



Your night shots have tremendous "presence" of sky in them. Another exceptionally good night sky is the second place finisher in the recent 3's challenge.

Robt.


I think the key is often not shooting at night, but at twilight, to get a really effective sky. That or shooting somewhere with some clouds and a lot of light pollution :)
02/10/2005 06:22:41 PM · #17
Originally posted by thommo:

Love the shot of the Pyrmont Bridge. Its one of my favourite places in Sydney. So much happening on and around it in Darling Harbour. Your shot captures it perfectly.


Thommo, I just saw the Pyrmont shot in your portfolio. Its nice to see a clear daytime shot of this location, as I didnt really have time to check it out during the day. The other interesting bit is that I was there only 2 days later!

You are correct though, one could probably spend all day at Darling Harbour and capture all sorts of completely different scenes... the people, the seagulls, the monorail, etc.
02/10/2005 07:16:05 PM · #18
clouds help a lot, it was raining when I took this shot and the lights from the SCG also helped

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/19474/thumb/139434.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/19474/thumb/139434.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 01/18/2021 03:15:33 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2021 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 01/18/2021 03:15:33 PM EST.