DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Challenge Results >> My first challenge result (pet's & people)
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 11 of 11, (reverse)
AuthorThread
12/29/2004 06:41:21 AM · #1
Hi! First I have to say thank you to everyone who left comments on my entry *hugs*. This turned out to be more exciting than I expected, even though I knew my photo was extremely average :) I just wanted to post the picture that I had wanted to submit, but didn't because I didn't feel it fit the challenge since my silly cat was desperately trying to escape! He hates to be held so it was pretty awful trying to get a decent picture. I gave up when both my daughter and the cat were cranky :P

Anyway, I'd love to have some input from y'all on what I could've done to make this photo better.

Here's the one I submitted:
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/289/thumb/129510.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/289/thumb/129510.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

and the one I think is better (if you take away the box on the right of the chair that's showing, ugh, after trying so hard to keep only the chair in the background to avoid that snapshottish look, and of course overlook the antsy cat):
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/10658/thumb/131411.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/10658/thumb/131411.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
12/29/2004 06:54:43 AM · #2
I prefer the first one. In the second picture, it's obvious that the cat doesn't have fun.
12/29/2004 07:39:05 AM · #3
Originally posted by gloda:

I prefer the first one. In the second picture, it's obvious that the cat doesn't have fun.


Oh I know, he just wouldn't sit still. I couldn't believe he actually looked content in that one picture. That was pure luck :)

I noticed you and I both got comments calling our entries "snapshots" (from the same person no less). Mine could probably pass for a "snapshot" (grrr), but yours doesn't look like a snapshot at all. I thought your use of negative space was interesting :)
12/29/2004 08:04:55 AM · #4
OFreasier, I think I prefer the expression on your daughter's face in the 2nd one more. You can tell she really loves Smokey, even if he's not amused by the whole thing. LOL

My entry was one of those love-hate things I suppose...I knew it might be a little snapshot-ish but it really did show the relationship between one of my kiddos and our dog, Peanut. I had one outtake that I actually entered and pulled the last couple of hours before the challenge started. Do you think it might have fared any better or did I pick the right one?

entry:
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/289/thumb/128771.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/289/thumb/128771.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

outtake:
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/18349/thumb/131417.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/18349/thumb/131417.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
12/29/2004 08:14:59 AM · #5
Originally posted by laurielblack:

I had one outtake that I actually entered and pulled the last couple of hours before the challenge started. Do you think it might have fared any better or did I pick the right one?

outtake:
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/18349/thumb/131417.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/18349/thumb/131417.jpg', '/') + 1) . '


Ohh, Laurie, I think the outtake would have been a real contender! Great expression on all three faces... and those ears! I hope that some other folks will give an opinion as well. Do the rest of you see it as I do?
12/29/2004 12:23:31 PM · #6
Originally posted by nova:

Originally posted by laurielblack:

I had one outtake that I actually entered and pulled the last couple of hours before the challenge started. Do you think it might have fared any better or did I pick the right one?

outtake:
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/18349/thumb/131417.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/18349/thumb/131417.jpg', '/') + 1) . '


Ohh, Laurie, I think the outtake would have been a real contender! Great expression on all three faces... and those ears! I hope that some other folks will give an opinion as well. Do the rest of you see it as I do?


LOL... apparently not! ;o)

Thanks though. I really liked this one better but the one I submitted seemed to have more interaction between the pet and his person. :o)
12/29/2004 12:59:49 PM · #7
Originally posted by laurielblack:

I had one outtake that I actually entered and pulled the last couple of hours before the challenge started. Do you think it might have fared any better or did I pick the right one?


Uh oh Laurie. I think you screwed up big time. I gave your submitted picture a 6. If the boy was looking AT the dog, it would have been higher. The boy's mouth also seemed a bit contrived to me.

On the other hand, the pic with both boys and Peanut would have been AT LEAST an 8 - and probably a 9 even. Great composition, expressions.
========================================================
OFreasier - I also liked your outtake better, much better expression on the girl's face. And the fact that the cat was not happy is FINE! The challenge said to show the relationship between the pet and his people. No one said the pet had to be happy about it! If you title it, "No I do not like being held!" Or "Let me outa here" - or something similar, I think it definitely shows the empotion the cat seems to be feeling.
12/29/2004 01:06:48 PM · #8
Originally posted by laurielblack:

OFreasier, I think I prefer the expression on your daughter's face in the 2nd one more. You can tell she really loves Smokey, even if he's not amused by the whole thing. LOL

My entry was one of those love-hate things I suppose...I knew it might be a little snapshot-ish but it really did show the relationship between one of my kiddos and our dog, Peanut. I had one outtake that I actually entered and pulled the last couple of hours before the challenge started. Do you think it might have fared any better or did I pick the right one?

entry:
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/289/thumb/128771.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/289/thumb/128771.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

outtake:
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/18349/thumb/131417.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/18349/thumb/131417.jpg', '/') + 1) . '


I prefer her expression in the outtake as well! I caught the sparkle in her eye and if only Smokey had cooperated I think it would've been a wonderful picture. Ah well, such is life :)

To tell you the truth, I think they're both great :) But I do like the expressions on all three faces in the outtake just a little better, so I think that's the one I'd have submitted. I think this was a hard challenge because emotions were involved so much more than in the average challenge :)

Onessa
12/29/2004 01:11:11 PM · #9
Originally posted by photom:

OFreasier - I also liked your outtake better, much better expression on the girl's face. And the fact that the cat was not happy is FINE! The challenge said to show the relationship between the pet and his people. No one said the pet had to be happy about it! If you title it, "No I do not like being held!" Or "Let me outa here" - or something similar, I think it definitely shows the empotion the cat seems to be feeling.


I didn't even think of giving it a title like that! *smacks forehead* Well, that's why I'm here, to learn :)
12/29/2004 06:50:06 PM · #10
it was my first submission as well, and while I didn't think my picture was great (I found pets and people VERY hard), at least I didn't get last place, hehe! my avg was about 3.76...well, I am VERY proud of my mechanical one..its at 4.05 so far <finger crossed>
12/29/2004 08:15:52 PM · #11
Originally posted by okiesisi:

it was my first submission as well, and while I didn't think my picture was great (I found pets and people VERY hard), at least I didn't get last place, hehe! my avg was about 3.76...well, I am VERY proud of my mechanical one..its at 4.05 so far <finger crossed>


I think you and I did just fine for our first submissions :) I've been studying entries from past challenges and I'm hoping to do better next time, and I'm sure you will too *fingers crossed* :)
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 02/18/2020 02:25:25 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 02/18/2020 02:25:25 AM EST.