DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Current Challenge >> YELLOW how we all doing?
Pages:  
Showing posts 51 - 75 of 247, (reverse)
AuthorThread
12/08/2004 11:57:09 AM · #51
Originally posted by glass_slippers:

Well I just finished voting on all the shots..gave out seven 10's to well deserving shooters and a lot f 9's to some near misses for a 10. Gave out a lot of 1's & 2's for just very poor composition alone and bad quality of picture. But the majority were voted between 4-6..those that I gave 7-8's to; I felt they had very good ideas originality wise, composition was very good but a little bit lacking in some aspects or their techinal aspects lowered a score a little bit.
Why am I saying this? Because I think I voted very fairly and gave the best scores to the most original, "challenge" impact oriented, artistic created, with the techinal crispness.. There were some very good shots, beautiful concepts and pictures that I gave 2-3's for because I felt they didn't meet the challenge. I will tell you this. I will never look at ____________ (you know what subject matter I speak of)the same way again.


Now do us all a favor - if you gave a 1 2 or 3 to a pic go back and leave a constructive coment on what can be done to make it better / what is wrong in your eyes, etc. PLEASE! No 'this is boaring / crap/etc' and no need to fawn at the 10s either 'Just Great / Wow / best pic all year/'.
12/08/2004 11:58:05 AM · #52
I don't have an entry in yellow challenge, (taking a break) but this is one of the strongest fields of photos in recent challenges.
Congrats to everybody!
Awesome set of pics, you've all done well.
Reading the post there appears to be quite a few trolls out there!
C'mon people, these are good pictures and the scores should reflect that!!!!

I'm gonna give ya all 10's if this keeps up!!
12/08/2004 11:59:06 AM · #53
Originally posted by rkligman:

Votes: 61
Views: 70
Avg Vote: 4.2295
Comments: 2
Favorites: 0
Wish Lists: 0
Updated: 12/08/04 11:51 am

I am utterly disgusted! This was one of my best shots and after my wife and I browsed the 399 photos, we agreed, certainly had a good chance for a Top 50. Instead I'm getting buried AND nobody is telling me anything as to why. Every update it's going down. It means I'm getting 4 after 4 after 4 after 3 with no comment.

This just totally sucks. I signed up a month ago and have eagerly aniticipated each challenge and done the best I could. On the photos that I really cared about though, read spent time to actually make a good effort rather than just throw in an entry, I'm getting hammered and with no comments!

I'm just about done out here. It seems like such a waste. My ego is getting hurt and I don't mind that IF I knew why. The most commented pictures I have are the ones that I just threw into the contest just to have entry. They were not good pics and people told me why. The good pics though go uncommented and scored low.

VERY DISCOURAGING. I just don't understand what is going through peoples minds out here.


Score on this post: 9.
Comment: hear hear.

Feel better now? Me neigher...still dropping and the only comment is positive! I too was happier before i became a member.
12/08/2004 12:00:47 PM · #54
Votes: 69
Views: 100
Avg Vote: 5.1159
Comments: 1

hmm.. I was really hoping to continue my >6 trend, but oh well. I thought it was well done, the voters don't. Maybe. It'd help if they tell me.

And suprisingly, I used what I thought would be a common theme, and there's only one other one in the challenge. So that can't possibly be it, can it?
12/08/2004 12:08:16 PM · #55
Originally posted by rkligman:



This just totally sucks. I signed up a month ago and have eagerly aniticipated each challenge and done the best I could. On the photos that I really cared about though, read spent time to actually make a good effort rather than just throw in an entry, I'm getting hammered and with no comments!

I'm just about done out here. It seems like such a waste. My ego is getting hurt and I don't mind that IF I knew why. The most commented pictures I have are the ones that I just threw into the contest just to have entry. They were not good pics and people told me why. The good pics though go uncommented and scored low.

VERY DISCOURAGING. I just don't understand what is going through peoples minds out here.


hey i feel this way sometimes too, i put in an entry and its getting killed and it may only get 2 comments but someone will usually come along and tell you what everyone else is seeing eventually. im pretty good about not meeting the challenge in others eyes. i know there are alot of shots trying to pass for yellow that are orange and other colors that may be getting voted down on. and as far as comments go i usually go back and comment when i am done voting like many other people i think.

and whats with people getting mad because comments say "its boring" maybe they gave you a 3 and you wanted to know why...
well that is why...
12/08/2004 12:11:04 PM · #56
I think there might be some pre-christmas shopping stress going on here. I slept soundly last night with my score solidily at 5.6xx after 25 some votes...

Alas, I check this morning to find 4.88. wow....what a drop, tis a shame, I love the shot. I've only looked over the thumbs in the challenge, but they look incredible!

Good job, and good luck!
12/08/2004 12:12:31 PM · #57
Thanks bestagents. Yes I feel a bit better. I agree, if you score a 1,2,3 then leave a comment. Even a 4 probably needs something. My current shot is doing worse than a shot I took in about 30 seconds in Lucky 7 that was completely out of focus and I turned the contrast knob to High to make up for it. Very stupid. If the photo is on topic and in focus, it should rarely ever get below a 5 score IMHO.

You know what disgusts me even more though? Photos that don't meet the topic, gets tons of comments that it doesn't meet the topic, yet scores in the Top 30. Lucky 7 had several of those. That is really disgusting. Take a picture of a cow. OK, here's a duck. Dude, that duck looks GREAT. I'd give you a 10 but it's off topic so here's a 9. What the heck is the point of a topic if it isn't adhered to. You miss the topic, you get a 1. You failed. It's starting to get like our school system out here. We wouldn't want to hurt anyones feelings...

Sorry for the rant. I'll go to work now and relieve my mind from this horror...
12/08/2004 12:12:36 PM · #58
Started voting...for some i using a placeholder of 1 so that i can go back anc commetn later and give them the proper score (NOT a one!). So some of you out there will get a bump later..but haver 200 votes I doubt you will notice. Now, if 20 other people are dong the same I have some hope. Bet not!
12/08/2004 12:17:11 PM · #59
Hey all! Bravo to the risktakers. We are too caught up in scores. People who push the envelope always take a few hits, or a lot of hits. So what!

Thinkers are always a threat to rule followers. Big deal!

Rarely does a photo that I really like place top three. And I know that the ones that some of my photos have received don't deserve them (I probably don't deserve my 10's either.) I don't really care. I am here to learn technique and to push myself.

Hell, it is just a little icon ribbon anyway. Intelligent conversation and opinions are the true treasure of this place.

12/08/2004 12:19:17 PM · #60
Bestagents, IMHO, your placeholder method stinks.
12/08/2004 12:19:33 PM · #61
creeping towards 5 - please go give me some more 5s - mines the yellow one that has a person in it.
12/08/2004 12:28:42 PM · #62
Originally posted by KDO:

Hey all! Bravo to the risktakers. We are too caught up in scores. People who push the envelope always take a few hits, or a lot of hits. So what!

Thinkers are always a threat to rule followers. Big deal!

Rarely does a photo that I really like place top three. And I know that the ones that some of my photos have received don't deserve them (I probably don't deserve my 10's either.) I don't really care. I am here to learn technique and to push myself.

Hell, it is just a little icon ribbon anyway. Intelligent conversation and opinions are the true treasure of this place.


Bravo for these sentiments. I wish there were another 300 of you here. :)
12/08/2004 12:34:13 PM · #63
I am at 4.90... and I should have probably gone with my other image

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/23478/thumb/126946.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/23478/thumb/126946.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

Hey, that is the way the ball bounces... or the voters vote:)
12/08/2004 12:40:44 PM · #64
Mine is doing badly - oh cruel world why do you mock me?!!

Maybe talk about it after the voting is over.


12/08/2004 12:53:59 PM · #65
Well put KDO! Kudos to you and your outlook!
12/08/2004 12:56:18 PM · #66
Thanks for the support. I am feeling a bit attacked in the other forum I am participating in...YIKES
12/08/2004 12:56:32 PM · #67
Originally posted by scalvert:

Originally posted by BrenB:

I need new contacts.:)


Can't take good pictures without good lenses. See if you can get some L contacts. ;-)


Good one Shannon.
12/08/2004 12:57:17 PM · #68
Not so good (4.03 and falling). I got hung up on the file size submission requirement
and ended up with a small image. So far 3 comments and all mention the small size.
It's ashame too because I thought it would do better. Is image size that important?
When scoring I assume things like size and sometimes color and brightness are
a function of my monitor and not the image so I tend to focus more on composition
and detail sharpness.
12/08/2004 12:59:39 PM · #69
Votes: 65
Views: 75
Avg Vote: 6.2769
Comments: 3
feeling much better, specially after my Humor II submission
12/08/2004 01:01:31 PM · #70
Originally posted by KDO:

Bestagents, IMHO, your placeholder method stinks.


You'd prefer i give 10s and lower them later?
It would be nice to vote and comment on entries at once, but my time and scedule does not allow that. IF you wnat me to give ANY thought to what i am seeing or commenting on ,then I need someway to mark pics for later consideration.

I am open to suggestions!
12/08/2004 01:05:27 PM · #71
Originally posted by stargazer:

Not so good (4.03 and falling). I got hung up on the file size submission requirement
and ended up with a small image. So far 3 comments and all mention the small size.
It's ashame too because I thought it would do better. Is image size that important?
When scoring I assume things like size and sometimes color and brightness are
a function of my monitor and not the image so I tend to focus more on composition
and detail sharpness.


DPI means NOTHING unless you are printing.
SOOO, crop first, and when you are done editing (except for final USM/sharpening) resize the pic to be about 640 in the longest side (the other side will be in prooportion so ignore it). Then do your final USM and and you can save in 2 ways - For Web or Save As. If using PS and Save for Web you can pick the final file size (147k) and PS will do the rest. The Exif info is stripped out though. I prefer just a plain Save As and s I pick the JPG compression (quality) to get a file size that works - my entires are usually about 110-130k, a quality/compression of 9 to 11. Try not to go below 8 as that may affect teh quality. If you can't get it to fit, try less sharpening or slightly small dimentsions (600...)

And yes, small size HURTS. A LOT.
12/08/2004 01:06:30 PM · #72
Originally posted by stargazer:

Not so good (4.03 and falling). I got hung up on the file size submission requirement
and ended up with a small image. So far 3 comments and all mention the small size.
It's ashame too because I thought it would do better. Is image size that important?
When scoring I assume things like size and sometimes color and brightness are
a function of my monitor and not the image so I tend to focus more on composition
and detail sharpness.


my lowest score was a small submission...well a bad shot too but most the comments were about the file size, so yes it will impact your score because you cant study the detail of the image
12/08/2004 01:07:07 PM · #73
Trying not to be too discouraged, but shaping up to be my worst score yet:

Votes: 67
Views: 77
Avg Vote: 4.0448
Comments: 1

I suspect that the problem is the subject matter and not the shot. Should've known better.

12/08/2004 01:15:09 PM · #74
Votes: 67
Views: 90
Avg Vote: 5.2687
Comments: 1

just trying to beat my personal best at a 5.438 which youd think would be a simple task, doesnt seem to be so simple for me.
i have to say i am happy with the 5.2 because it was sitting at a 4.0 at one point
12/08/2004 01:16:40 PM · #75
Originally posted by riotspyne:

Votes: 67
Views: 90
Avg Vote: 5.2687
Comments: 1

just trying to beat my personal best at a 5.438 which youd think would be a simple task, doesnt seem to be so simple for me.
i have to say i am happy with the 5.2 because it was sitting at a 4.0 at one point


I get scores like you (nice images you have there)- but i have lowered my hopes, I just wanna break 5!
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 08/23/2019 10:01:57 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2019 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 08/23/2019 10:01:57 AM EDT.