DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> General Discussion >> Anyone have a camera they want to sell?
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 17 of 17, (reverse)
AuthorThread
12/06/2021 07:51:59 AM · #1
Cheap?

My son (' . substr('https://www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', strrpos('https://www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', '/') + 1) . ' jcar) is now working at Yellowstone. He had been using a Pixel phone, but that was lost on an adventure. His new inexpensive samsung phone does not have quality photos. Plus, he'd like to get a long lens now that he's in the land of cool wildlife.

I only have a couple hundred buck for Christmas, so I don't know that I could really get anything decent. He'd have to buy his own long lens, but I started with a 75-300 that was inexpensive and still pretty good.

Any thoughts? Any old cameras sitting around collecting dust?
12/06/2021 08:35:18 AM · #2
I'm looking to sell an Olympus OM-D EM-1 Mark II along with the 7-14 f/2.8 PRO, 12-40 f/2.8 PRO, and the 40-150 f/2.8 PRO, but that's probably out of the price range.
12/06/2021 08:39:17 AM · #3
yup.

I'm thinking maybe going back to my Canon days, and perhaps a Canon 60d or equivalent. It looks like used ones of those are getting down there. And he could get a cheap 75-300mm.
12/06/2021 08:53:32 AM · #4
I have a Canon 6d (moderate wear) you can have for $200 or a Canon 50D (minor wear) for $100. (plus shipping).
12/06/2021 09:04:55 AM · #5
Originally posted by GolferDDS:

I have a Canon 6d (moderate wear) you can have for $200 or a Canon 50D (minor wear) for $100. (plus shipping).


I don't know much about the 6D. Do you know how it compares to the 60d or 7d?

Edited to add -- I'm very interested!

edited again to add -- It's all working great? No scratches on the sensor or broken lcd?

Message edited by author 2021-12-06 09:08:03.
12/06/2021 09:30:42 AM · #6
The main difference is that it has a full frame sensor. It uses the same batteries at the Canon 5D Mark IV. It was working fine the last time I tried it. No problems with the sensor or broken glass. I'd check it over before I sent it. Unfortunately I do not have the original box or other paraphernalia that comes with it.

The 50d has the original box and everything that came with it. It works fine but would check it again before I sent it.

If you find anything that you don't like I would refund your money with return.

I can send you pictures also if you like!

It would be great if someone else could use them.
12/06/2021 10:15:43 AM · #7
Originally posted by GolferDDS:

The main difference is that it has a full frame sensor. It uses the same batteries at the Canon 5D Mark IV. It was working fine the last time I tried it. No problems with the sensor or broken glass. I'd check it over before I sent it. Unfortunately I do not have the original box or other paraphernalia that comes with it.

The 50d has the original box and everything that came with it. It works fine but would check it again before I sent it.

If you find anything that you don't like I would refund your money with return.

I can send you pictures also if you like!

It would be great if someone else could use them.


Which one do you like better? I'm definitely leaning towards the 6D. But when I had a lot of canon equipment, I definitely had my likes and dislikes.
12/06/2021 10:20:12 AM · #8
Originally posted by GolferDDS:

I have a Canon 6d (moderate wear) you can have for $200 or a Canon 50D (minor wear) for $100. (plus shipping).


I had a 50D for a long time. Great camera. Can't argue about $100, even though it's now about a 14 year old model. Gave it to my granddaughter and her boyfriend killed it.

I was going to sell the Lumix GX85 I had with me when I met up with you recently, but gave it to my stepdaughter who needed something for vlogging for her hair salon.
12/06/2021 11:53:06 AM · #9
Originally posted by GolferDDS:

The main difference is that it has a full frame sensor. It uses the same batteries at the Canon 5D Mark IV. It was working fine the last time I tried it. No problems with the sensor or broken glass. I'd check it over before I sent it. Unfortunately I do not have the original box or other paraphernalia that comes with it.

The 50d has the original box and everything that came with it. It works fine but would check it again before I sent it.

If you find anything that you don't like I would refund your money with return.

I can send you pictures also if you like!

It would be great if someone else could use them.


Awesome!! I talked with my husband, and we'll do the 6D, please!

Do you have any old lenses that you're not currently using with your mirrorless?
12/06/2021 11:53:56 AM · #10
Originally posted by Yo_Spiff:

Originally posted by GolferDDS:

I have a Canon 6d (moderate wear) you can have for $200 or a Canon 50D (minor wear) for $100. (plus shipping).


I had a 50D for a long time. Great camera. Can't argue about $100, even though it's now about a 14 year old model. Gave it to my granddaughter and her boyfriend killed it.

I was going to sell the Lumix GX85 I had with me when I met up with you recently, but gave it to my stepdaughter who needed something for vlogging for her hair salon.


The 50D was tempting, because I did like my 40D. But I think I'll go with the newer full frame option.
12/06/2021 12:30:29 PM · #11
Wendy , I値l take a good look at my 6d to make sure it痴 OK and I値l private message you.
12/06/2021 01:28:16 PM · #12
Originally posted by GolferDDS:

Wendy , I値l take a good look at my 6d to make sure it痴 OK and I値l private message you.


Thanks!!
12/06/2021 02:46:11 PM · #13
I think the 6D is a great choice. It has a really good sensor. I still have mine. The AF system is, by today's standards, rudimentary. But heck we all started there, right? ;-)
DO recognize that a long lens will look "shorter" on a FF sensor, and lenses designed for APS-C will not work, so there is some additional expense with being full-frame.
If it is likely he will continue with photography, then FF is a good way to go, as most of the really good bodies are now FF, including currently all of the Canon RF-mount offerings (which also take EF lenses with an adapter).
12/06/2021 11:36:02 PM · #14
Originally posted by kirbic:

I think the 6D is a great choice. It has a really good sensor. I still have mine. The AF system is, by today's standards, rudimentary. But heck we all started there, right? ;-)
DO recognize that a long lens will look "shorter" on a FF sensor, and lenses designed for APS-C will not work, so there is some additional expense with being full-frame.
If it is likely he will continue with photography, then FF is a good way to go, as most of the really good bodies are now FF, including currently all of the Canon RF-mount offerings (which also take EF lenses with an adapter).


Good point on the apsc lenses!
12/06/2021 11:44:27 PM · #15
Finalizing things, but I知 starting to get a bit nervous

It痴 a great camera but the lens I知 looking at is starting to look far from great. I originally thought a 75-300, becAuse that痴 what I started with. But when I pull it up, it basically says that it痴 canon痴 worst lens.

The 70-300 is better , but is beyond the price range.

There痴 a 70-300 sigma for canon, that sounds better than the 75-300 , but is still not wonderful. Neither would be IS, and the camera (i believe) isn稚 IS. I know I started this way, and it seemed fine at the time, but I didn稚 know any better. He does. He痴 used my good stuff. It seems like something is better than nothing. But am I wrong in my thinking?
12/06/2021 11:58:57 PM · #16
Originally posted by vawendy:

It seems like something is better than nothing. But am I wrong in my thinking?

If it's more in line with your budget, maybe consider some other lens -- I'm assuming that you pay more for more reach (longer focal lengths).

On the other hand, I myself am used to trying to get the best out of non-optimum equipment -- that's one way to really learn -- and almost always favor getting a quality image (subject, composition) over "image quality" (noise, sharpness), so maybe the 75-300 would be OK (at least for now).
12/07/2021 07:16:57 AM · #17
Originally posted by vawendy:

I originally thought a 75-300, becAuse that痴 what I started with. But when I pull it up, it basically says that it痴 canon痴 worst lens.


Yeah.....Canon's worst lens. Think about that. I use a 28-300 for my walkaround lens on my FF camera 'cause I'm lazy. It'll be fine for now.

Originally posted by vawendy:

There痴 a 70-300 sigma for canon, that sounds better than the 75-300 , but is still not wonderful.


It's just my own personal experience and tastes, but I never recommend third party glass. It's never quite as good as the top shelf OE glass.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 01/24/2022 05:14:58 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2022 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 01/24/2022 05:14:58 PM EST.