DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Individual Photograph Discussion >> Does anyone wanna...
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 12 of 12, (reverse)
AuthorThread
08/22/2021 11:18:15 AM · #1
Does anyone want to tell me why my Extended FS didn't do well?

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/3000-3999/3258/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1263426.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/3000-3999/3258/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1263426.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

I was so excited about it. Ha!

08/22/2021 01:33:49 PM · #2
If I had to guess, I would say it just veers too far away from photography into the realm of digital art. It's not against the rule set, but it just deviates enough away from "photography" that it might have turned people off that way. It's a nice image, though :)
08/22/2021 04:11:28 PM · #3
I'm wondering whether people are currently hyper-sensitized to what could be viewed by some as "exploitation of the female form" ...

I also think it's a nice image though ... hopefully you'll also hear from your detractors ...:-)
08/22/2021 04:23:09 PM · #4
My favorite challenges to vote on are Extended Free Studies. I missed this one due to being on vacation. I would have given it a 9 or 10. I am totally against exploiting women in photography, but this does not feel like exploitation to me. I think it's an awesome shot.
08/22/2021 06:35:21 PM · #5
Originally posted by GeneralE:

I'm wondering whether people are currently hyper-sensitized to what could be viewed by some as "exploitation of the female form" ...

I also think it's a nice image though ... hopefully you'll also hear from your detractors ...:-)


I love reading this!

I actually made her boob... She was wearing a swimsuit. LOL! (She was pleased with my enhancement. *grin* She's quite slender.)

She asked me to take it off in PS... because she was afraid I'd be shocked if she took it off in my kitchen. LOL!

I thank you all for your responses.

I understand it now.

Too much "non-real" stuff.

Although... that's her real hair (minus the coloring).
08/22/2021 07:12:32 PM · #6
Originally posted by Lydia:

I actually made her boob... She was wearing a swimsuit. LOL! (She was pleased with my enhancement. *grin* She's quite slender.)

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/0-4999/1031/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_120984.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/0-4999/1031/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_120984.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
08/23/2021 02:05:27 AM · #7
I didn't vote in this challenge, fwiw.

I absolutely love what you did with the background water / spray, and the tail. I also think you did an excellent job on the spines down her back!

From my perspective, the image has three issues. First is the waistline of where the tail meets the human body. That makes the tail look like a strap-on appendage rather than an integral part of a living creature.

Second is the dark shadow on the left between her hair and her face. I think this is the source of folks saying that her hair looks like a wig.

Third is that, no offense intended, the shape of her face is more masculine than most folks' mental imagination of what a mermaid should look like.

It is a great image and I'm sure you put in a lot of work on it.
08/23/2021 01:09:29 PM · #8
Originally posted by dtremain:

I didn't vote in this challenge, fwiw.

I absolutely love what you did with the background water / spray, and the tail. I also think you did an excellent job on the spines down her back!

From my perspective, the image has three issues. First is the waistline of where the tail meets the human body. That makes the tail look like a strap-on appendage rather than an integral part of a living creature.

Second is the dark shadow on the left between her hair and her face. I think this is the source of folks saying that her hair looks like a wig.

Third is that, no offense intended, the shape of her face is more masculine than most folks' mental imagination of what a mermaid should look like.

It is a great image and I'm sure you put in a lot of work on it.


I totally agree with all three issues. I really should have known to integrate the tail to her body... duh! I actually PUT the shadow there to make it look like there was space. Silly me. Your idea is the way to go.

Originally posted by alanfreed:

If I had to guess, I would say it just veers too far away from photography into the realm of digital art. It's not against the rule set, but it just deviates enough away from "photography" that it might have turned people off that way. It's a nice image, though :)


Thank you, Alan!

It seems to be the consensus.

In reality, the tail is a photo of toad skin (still on a live toad Ha!), the ocean is a still lake with a sandy beach (I drew in the waves and splashes).

That's her real body, face, and hair.

I drew in the fin.

It's more photographs then drawing, but I do agree that it appears.

If you want to see her on land, she's the model in my Mannerism entry also.

Thanks bunches for an honest assessment from all of you!

08/23/2021 03:07:11 PM · #9
the answer is very simple, some people just hate mermaids )). Just look at the scores I got for my latest entry
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/3000-3999/3268/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1263285.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/3000-3999/3268/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1263285.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
08/23/2021 04:30:56 PM · #10
Fourth place doesn't seem all that hateful ... and yeah, a great find. :-)
08/23/2021 05:01:59 PM · #11
Originally posted by GeneralE:

Fourth place doesn't seem all that hateful ... and yeah, a great find. :-)
I was kidding of course. And I did say "some people" ))
08/24/2021 03:44:33 PM · #12
Originally posted by LevT:

Originally posted by GeneralE:

Fourth place doesn't seem all that hateful ... and yeah, a great find. :-)
I was kidding of course. And I did say "some people" ))


I thought it was funny, Lev. :D
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 08/15/2022 03:15:07 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2022 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 08/15/2022 03:15:07 PM EDT.