DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Hardware and Software >> Mojave + PSCS5 + NIK = AAAAARGGGHHHHH
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 18 of 18, (reverse)
AuthorThread
08/09/2020 08:56:29 PM · #1
Ok I think my header says it all.

For whatever reason, Mac's Mojave and just about any version of PS do not get along. PS CS5 quits often and seems even more prone to doing so when I am using NIK filters.

Any fixes out there apart from just whining at Mac that Mojave sucks?! I am literally having to save images after every.single.frickin.change just so when PS quits, then I haven't lost completely everything. Except my patience!
08/09/2020 09:46:43 PM · #2
Unfortunately, the answer is "it's unlikely." Ps CS5 was launched in April 2010, so a little over 10 years ago. Operating systems have come a long way since then, and it's not unusual for an application this old to not play well with the newest operating systems. Throw in third-party add-ins like NIK, and you again raise the likelihood of trouble.
The only thing I can suggest that may help is turning off GPU acceleration. Even if that turns out to be a solution, it's a kinda crappy one. The only real solution is to update Ps.
08/09/2020 10:37:46 PM · #3
Originally posted by kirbic:

The only real solution is to update Ps.

Or keep editing on an older Mac ... ;-)
08/09/2020 11:03:19 PM · #4
Originally posted by snaffles:

Any fixes out there apart from just whining at Mac that Mojave sucks?! I am literally having to save images after every.single.frickin.change just so when PS quits, then I haven't lost completely everything. Except my patience!

You could switch over to Luminar & Aurora HDR. I'm using them a lot right now and they work very, very well. Much cheaper than PS...
08/10/2020 02:54:34 AM · #5
Affinity Photo, much cheaper but can do quite the same as PS. Works fine together with NIK, but when you use the older NIK versions there’s only a small problem with the colours when using Viveza. No problems wit any of the other filters.

Message edited by author 2020-08-10 03:40:59.
08/10/2020 08:12:01 AM · #6
Originally posted by kirbic:

Unfortunately, the answer is "it's unlikely." Ps CS5 was launched in April 2010, so a little over 10 years ago. Operating systems have come a long way since then, and it's not unusual for an application this old to not play well with the newest operating systems. Throw in third-party add-ins like NIK, and you again raise the likelihood of trouble.
The only thing I can suggest that may help is turning off GPU acceleration. Even if that turns out to be a solution, it's a kinda crappy one. The only real solution is to update Ps.


Can't...a Mac geek friend says that Mac is phasing out 32 bit applications. Im fact upgrading would be the worst thing to do cause then I couldn't use PS at all.

Did see a fix online that I don't think I've tried yet. Otherwise may have to do as the General says as I do have an older Mac with Yosemite or somethin on it. But really annoying cause I got the new(er) mac so I could continue to use PS....will also look into Affinity and Luminar. Thanks all!

ETA: screenshot of a JavaScript fix I want to try but haven't yet cause I don't know if it will futz things up even more. ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/55000-59999/59029/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1253034.png', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/55000-59999/59029/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1253034.png', '/') + 1) . ' I just really hate having to play the technology game and have to change my apps and workflow to suit it.

Whatever happened to the good ol days when technology was OUR slave and not the other way round?!

Message edited by author 2020-08-10 08:21:48.
08/10/2020 10:57:08 AM · #7
Originally posted by snaffles:

Whatever happened to the good ol days when technology was OUR slave and not the other way round?!

I don't think they existed. We've essentially been "slaves" (if you want to call it that) to "technology" since the first ape lifted a rock and smashed a clam :-)
08/10/2020 01:35:29 PM · #8
Originally posted by snaffles:



Can't...a Mac geek friend says that Mac is phasing out 32 bit applications. Im fact upgrading would be the worst thing to do cause then I couldn't use PS at all.

Did see a fix online that I don't think I've tried yet. Otherwise may have to do as the General says as I do have an older Mac with Yosemite or somethin on it. But really annoying cause I got the new(er) mac so I could continue to use PS....will also look into Affinity and Luminar. Thanks all!

ETA: screenshot of a JavaScript fix I want to try but haven't yet cause I don't know if it will futz things up even more. ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/55000-59999/59029/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1253034.png', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/55000-59999/59029/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1253034.png', '/') + 1) . ' I just really hate having to play the technology game and have to change my apps and workflow to suit it.

Whatever happened to the good ol days when technology was OUR slave and not the other way round?!


To be clear, I was suggesting updating to Ps CC, which is as modern as you can get, and would run on any recent Mac OS. While I think the suggestions to evaluate other software solutions are entirely valid, a change in software and workflow comes with a significant learning curve, and some risk. For instance, migrating from Lightroom? Well, you can probably start over with all your library functionality, including any keywording, all your old development settings etc., which for most of us represents potentially thousands of hours of work product.
08/10/2020 03:38:15 PM · #9
Kirbic, I download images to iPhoto, convert to DNG (unless I shot in jpg of course) and then use PS and NIK.
08/10/2020 04:50:10 PM · #10
Originally posted by snaffles:

Kirbic, I download images to iPhoto, convert to DNG (unless I shot in jpg of course) and then use PS and NIK.


Sounds like you would be fine transitioning to another editor, as long as you're not a power user looking for all the Ps bells and whistles, and don't mind the re-learning.
08/10/2020 08:02:42 PM · #11
Originally posted by kirbic:

Originally posted by snaffles:

Kirbic, I download images to iPhoto, convert to DNG (unless I shot in jpg of course) and then use PS and NIK.


Sounds like you would be fine transitioning to another editor, as long as you're not a power user looking for all the Ps bells and whistles, and don't mind the re-learning.


LOL I don't think I'm a power user - not a pro GD by any stretch or uploading 100s of images to Alamy each week :-) How difficult is the relearning though? And just downloaded the Javascript shown in the screen shot earlier. May as well give it a shot.
08/11/2020 10:26:53 AM · #12
Originally posted by snaffles:

...How difficult is the relearning though?


Well, from personal experience it can be a little painful, however I think it is less of a problem these days as the interfaces have become a little more intuitive and common tools seem to act in similar manners. As for not being a power user, you may be surprised at what qualifies. About 15 years ago (Holy crap where did that time go??!!) I was looking for an image editor to use for work (they were too cheap to spring for Ps) and I was told "just use GIMP, it does almost all of what Ps does, and it's FREE!" So I installed GIMP, and right out of the box I was looking for non-destructive editing tools (adjustment layers). No dice. REALLY?? Nope. And here's the kicker, 15 years later they are still not supported!
I'll certainly admit that I have not tried any alternative editors recently.
08/11/2020 07:14:37 PM · #13
*cautiously knocking on wood* Well the JavaScript fix seems to be working...though once I Save For Web, apparently then it's game over and PS picks up its ball and goes home.

Also doesn't like working on native jpgs and will quit anytime. I didn't realize that I was shooting fine jpgs and not NEF. However once I convert the the jpgs to psd I am *allowed* to work on the current batch of images, on which I am just doing quick n dirty PS. Don't know how long this JS fix may hold for bigger and more detailed projects.

Haven't yet tried it with a NEF converted to dng. Hopefully it will work!

That's all for now folks!
08/14/2020 08:45:51 AM · #14
hey all, just a quick question....what if I downgrade my system a couple of OSXs? Would that help solve my PS problem? I think up to High Sierra it still works fine. Interwebz and PS is basically all I use the Mac for anyway.' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/55000-59999/59029/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1253193.png', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/55000-59999/59029/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1253193.png', '/') + 1) . '

Message edited by author 2020-08-14 08:49:41.
08/14/2020 08:50:00 AM · #15
Security would be my main concern with doing so. I'm really not familiar at all with Apple's policy on security updates for legacy versions of MacOS. I would assume that, like Windows, there is some support and patching for a time, but what that time is, I dunno.
08/14/2020 09:38:46 AM · #16
Seeing all the pain and trouble you've been going thru, I can't help but dare to ask you if it wouldn't be easier for you, at this point, to just get the $9.99/month Adobe Photography Plan and get PS & LR CC.

Even if you solve this problem now, it's just a matter of time for you to face it again. Unless you decide to remain forever in the same old OS and PS versions.

Message edited by author 2020-08-14 09:39:22.
08/15/2020 04:54:38 PM · #17
Originally posted by theluissales:

....even if you solve this problem now, it's just a matter of time for you to face it again. Unless you decide to remain forever in the same old OS and PS versions.


Actually I am such a technopeasant, and the much-touted benefits of upgrading to newer OSXs are, for me anyway, so minimal, that I really don't think I would mind staying with the same ol OSX and PS versions.
08/15/2020 07:33:38 PM · #18
Originally posted by snaffles:

..benefits of upgrading to newer OSXs are, for me anyway, so minimal, that I really don't think I would mind staying with the same ol OSX and PS versions.


And really, if it works for you, then you should stay with it. I would strongly recommend, however, that you figure out when security updates end for your selected OS version, and after they do, only use the machine as a local one. That doesn't necessarily mean it can't be connected to your network, but if it is, be sure that your network is secured (modern modem and router, change the default admin account name and password, make sure you use a good, secure network password, you know the drill.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 09/23/2020 02:56:31 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 09/23/2020 02:56:31 AM EDT.