DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Current Challenge >> Let's reflect upon our scores...
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 37, (reverse)
AuthorThread
04/29/2020 12:22:49 AM · #1
Am I the only one who misses multiple people rushing to post a punny score thread title after rollover? I even waited 20 minutes to give you guys first chance.
04/29/2020 12:47:17 AM · #2
Originally posted by Yo_Spiff:

Am I the only one who misses multiple people rushing to post a punny score thread title after rollover? I even waited 20 minutes to give you guys first chance.


Ha ha I was thinking about a title for this challenge also, and purposely came inside to start one, but lo and behold you already did.

I wonít tell you what mine was going to be...

Anyway I couldnít be more chuffed with my score.
04/29/2020 12:54:23 AM · #3
.....upon reflection....I might end up wit a score of 2
1 vote at 6
4 votes at 3.5
04/29/2020 12:57:41 AM · #4
Archival challenges don't work for me at all!

Votes: 7
Views: 8
Avg Vote: 5.8571
Comments: 0
04/29/2020 01:06:25 AM · #5
I seem to be doing ok on this one. A lot of killer entries, though. I expect the top 5 will all be at least in the high 6's.

Votes: 8
Views: 13
Avg Vote: 6.3750
04/29/2020 01:15:07 AM · #6
How water dominates the "cast back" of subjects. I really thought mine was an original, but alas, there is a second, very nicely done by the way.
04/29/2020 02:08:32 AM · #7
Originally posted by marnet:

Archival challenges don't work for me at all!

Votes: 7
Views: 8
Avg Vote: 5.8571
Comments: 0


At 5,2 for me neither! Apparently, I always pick the wrong image.
04/29/2020 02:14:07 AM · #8
Not a bad start at least

Votes: 8
Views: 11
Avg Vote: 6.3750
Comments: 0
Favorites: 0
Wish Lists: 0
Updated: 04/29/20 02:13 am
04/29/2020 02:46:32 AM · #9
I am really constant recently :)

Votes: 9
Views: 16
Avg Vote: 4.0000
Comments: 0
04/29/2020 07:07:13 AM · #10
Votes: 13
Views: 23
Avg Vote: 4.8462

I hate looking for entries for archival challenges. It's so depressing looking at photos of all the places I went regularly, wishing I could be there now and wondering whether I'll ever be able to go there again.
04/29/2020 11:12:09 AM · #11
Originally posted by GinaRothfels:

Votes: 13
Views: 23
Avg Vote: 4.8462

I hate looking for entries for archival challenges. It's so depressing looking at photos of all the places I went regularly, wishing I could be there now and wondering whether I'll ever be able to go there again.


I disagree. I look back gratefully and with the joy having had the chance to be there. It's about counting your blessings.
As for the future...who knows...
04/29/2020 11:14:56 AM · #12
Originally posted by Tiberius:

I am really constant recently :)

Votes: 9
Views: 16
Avg Vote: 4.0000
Comments: 0


Tibi how is it possible to score more than you (when I was aiming for 2?)
Now at 4.64. Seems like, again, my voters are not in unison
04/29/2020 01:33:41 PM · #13
went up overnight

Votes: 20
Views: 35
Avg Vote: 6.7000
Comments: 0
Favorites: 0
Wish Lists: 0
Updated: 04/29/20 01:10 pm
04/29/2020 02:51:07 PM · #14
Originally posted by mariuca:

Originally posted by GinaRothfels:

Votes: 13
Views: 23
Avg Vote: 4.8462

I hate looking for entries for archival challenges. It's so depressing looking at photos of all the places I went regularly, wishing I could be there now and wondering whether I'll ever be able to go there again.


I disagree. I look back gratefully and with the joy having had the chance to be there. It's about counting your blessings.
As for the future...who knows...


Unfortunately it doesn't feel like I have too many blessings to count. I've never been out of South Africa and haven't travelled at all for many years. I haven't seen the sea since I was in my twenties - long before I had a proper camera! And the area I live in doesn't offer the best photographic opportunities at the best of times. So it's rather tough now that my favourite places will be closed for months or maybe even longer.
04/29/2020 04:13:55 PM · #15
I'm kinda relishing the archival challenges as I'm as busy as I have ever been at work (I'm a medical planner....) I have a dizzying 7+ for my reflection offering. No guarantee that will last but I can hope. I am fortunate to have a garden and lovely country walking opportunities right outside my door but there are only so many apple blossom and bee images one can take! Twice a week I drive past Stonehenge....but it's all sealed off and I can't justify pulling into a lay-by; shame because it's looking fabulous without tourists. But a small price to pay when I hear about my medical colleagues looking after some very, very poorly people. If only I had time to brush up my indoor lighting skills. On a positive note, as I have been digging through my archives I have realised just how much I have developed my photography skills since I joined DPC. The watershed was the last DPC Challenge when I learnt SO much from my team mates - thank you Wild Things! So I'll press on, play indoors and dig out the oldies....and hope my current reflection score sticks!

Message edited by author 2020-04-29 16:14:43.
04/29/2020 04:24:31 PM · #16
Votes: 18
Views: 36
Avg Vote: 5.3333
Comments: 0
04/29/2020 07:41:14 PM · #17
Archives are the best, Iím loving going through all my photos. Brings back wonderful memories, and a longing to travel again.

Since there are so many entries in this challenge, it shouldnít be too difficult for everyone to comment on at least three photos. Thatís not even one per day,,thatís very easy to do. I already have three nice comments thank you. If you feel particularly generous, comment on one per day.
04/29/2020 07:48:32 PM · #18
Originally posted by Neat:

Archives are the best, Iím loving going through all my photos. Brings back wonderful memories, and a longing to travel again.

Since there are so many entries in this challenge, it shouldnít be too difficult for everyone to comment on at least three photos. Thatís not even one per day,,thatís very easy to do. I already have three nice comments thank you. If you feel particularly generous, comment on one per day.


Good idea.
I posted the alternate not that the missed one, upon reflection, would have scored better.
04/29/2020 08:50:00 PM · #19
Originally posted by GinaRothfels:

Originally posted by mariuca:

Originally posted by GinaRothfels:

Votes: 13
Views: 23
Avg Vote: 4.8462

I hate looking for entries for archival challenges. It's so depressing looking at photos of all the places I went regularly, wishing I could be there now and wondering whether I'll ever be able to go there again.


I disagree. I look back gratefully and with the joy having had the chance to be there. It's about counting your blessings.
As for the future...who knows...


Unfortunately it doesn't feel like I have too many blessings to count. I've never been out of South Africa and haven't travelled at all for many years. I haven't seen the sea since I was in my twenties - long before I had a proper camera! And the area I live in doesn't offer the best photographic opportunities at the best of times. So it's rather tough now that my favourite places will be closed for months or maybe even longer.


hey Gina .. where i live doesnt offer the amazing scenery that a lot of ppl can photograph where they live or travel to .. i'm also a bit limited in where i can go as well ..
one way i overcame that 'restriction' was in photographing the miniature world .. my love and fascination with insects spiders and the like helped me appreciate their amazing diversity etc .. and when i got my first macro lens .. which i still use btw .. the 100mm macro .. it opened up a whole new world for me .. i was blown away often .. especially when i downloaded something onto the computer and saw something that was invisible when i was taking the photograph ..
edit to say .. have you done much macro photography Gina ..
and i know this isnt about the current challenge .. ie reflections ..

i took a photo for the reflection challenge after the challenge was announced .. as with all the archival challenges ... i knew it wouldnt stack up against some of the amazing archival photos that ppl would enter .. or not even archival .. but i liked it .. sitting around 5.8 ish .. and i'm ok with that .. would like a 5.9 so i could put it in the tiniest violin tho .. :)

and like Anita ' . substr('https://www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21_F.gif', strrpos('https://www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21_F.gif', '/') + 1) . ' neat has said .. lets make some comments ..
comments .. i feel .. are a part of the life blood of this site ..
and makes it so much more of a community .. more personal ..
having said that i'm going to make a few comments now .. and with a slow internet .. thats really doing my bit for dpc .. !! .. ;)

and i'm totally with you ' . substr('https://www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21_F.gif', strrpos('https://www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21_F.gif', '/') + 1) . ' mariuca about counting our blessings .. doing a gratitude journal every day helps bring into our awareness the positive things that happen in our lives .. on a regular basis .. sometimes they can pass us by unnoticed .. :(

Message edited by author 2020-04-29 20:52:27.
04/29/2020 09:32:21 PM · #20
Originally posted by roz:



hey Gina .. where i live doesnt offer the amazing scenery that a lot of ppl can photograph where they live or travel to .. i'm also a bit limited in where i can go as well ..
one way i overcame that 'restriction' was in photographing the miniature world .. my love and fascination with insects spiders and the like helped me appreciate their amazing diversity etc .. and when i got my first macro lens .. which i still use btw .. the 100mm macro .. it opened up a whole new world for me .. i was blown away often .. especially when i downloaded something onto the computer and saw something that was invisible when i was taking the photograph ..
edit to say .. have you done much macro photography Gina ..
and i know this isnt about the current challenge .. ie reflections ..

i took a photo for the reflection challenge after the challenge was announced .. as with all the archival challenges ... i knew it wouldnt stack up against some of the amazing archival photos that ppl would enter .. or not even archival .. but i liked it .. sitting around 5.8 ish .. and i'm ok with that .. would like a 5.9 so i could put it in the tiniest violin tho .. :)

and like Anita ' . substr('https://www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21_F.gif', strrpos('https://www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21_F.gif', '/') + 1) . ' neat has said .. lets make some comments ..
comments .. i feel .. are a part of the life blood of this site ..
and makes it so much more of a community .. more personal ..
having said that i'm going to make a few comments now .. and with a slow internet .. thats really doing my bit for dpc .. !! .. ;)

and i'm totally with you ' . substr('https://www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21_F.gif', strrpos('https://www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21_F.gif', '/') + 1) . ' mariuca about counting our blessings .. doing a gratitude journal every day helps bring into our awareness the positive things that happen in our lives .. on a regular basis .. sometimes they can pass us by unnoticed .. :(


Roz, I've done a bit of macro photography, but my skills don't come close to yours. I don't often see interesting bugs either.

When it comes to the reflections challenge I wish I'd tried for a new photo instead of making a last minute attempt to find something decent in my archive. That might have worked if all my photos had keywords but most don't and due to space constraints most are only on external hard drives making access really hard.

I'm in desperate need of a new computer but now really isn't the time for a rushed purchase. Especially as I'd have to buy online because I'm stuck at home with my Mom. Can't go out for fear of bringing the virus home and making her sick. I've been nowhere since mid-March and now my car battery has died from neglect.

Sadly I'm struggling to find much for be grateful for, but I'll try.
04/29/2020 09:58:33 PM · #21
Gina ' . substr('https://www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21_F.gif', strrpos('https://www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21_F.gif', '/') + 1) . ' GinaRothfels .. i've sent you a pm .. xx
04/29/2020 10:00:16 PM · #22
You have commented on 9 images (9%) in this challenge.
95 to go .. !!!! .. ;)
04/29/2020 10:32:31 PM · #23
Posting this before I lose the 6. I thought I had a killer entry that could stay in the mid 6's at least. Wrong again.

Votes: 25
Views: 48
Avg Vote: 6.0000
Comments: 0
04/30/2020 07:48:05 AM · #24
Originally posted by roz:

You have commented on 9 images (9%) in this challenge.
95 to go .. !!!! .. ;)


Well done - that's nine more than me! Might have to wait until the weekend. In the meantime the inevitable drop in my score has arrived; but I enjoyed it while it lasted!
04/30/2020 08:03:09 AM · #25
First 4 votes produced 6.0000

Different story ever since (familiar sequence, although bigger drop than typical):
Votes: 27
Views: 52
Avg Vote: 4.9259
Comments: 1
Favorites: 0

On the other hand, the comment was favorable.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 07/08/2020 10:54:36 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 07/08/2020 10:54:36 PM EDT.