DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Challenge Suggestions >> Still life with pure sadness
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 31, (reverse)
AuthorThread
04/21/2020 11:51:07 PM · #1
no description
04/21/2020 11:52:18 PM · #2
Are you depressed, sweet Wendy?

04/22/2020 12:10:13 AM · #3
I vote yes
04/22/2020 05:07:16 AM · #4
Sorry, Wendy but Still Life with a Big Laugh would be my preference
04/22/2020 08:22:45 AM · #5
There's room for both.

More importantly, how are you Wendy? I've been very worried since your last post in the forums.
04/22/2020 09:12:55 AM · #6
Naw -- not sad. I was just looking through some abstract titles and came across that one. I found it extremely evocative. I thought it would come up with some fascinating images -- usually still lives are more about beauty or harmony.

I'm doing a lot better. I was actually feeling pretty human yesterday for the first time in awhile! I've always been fine sitting and not moving anyway, so it isn't too bad. And the fever has always been a low grade one. It's just lasting so long, I'm tired of it. Thanks for asking. :)

I even got a flower shot in that's currently at 4.09 -- but I'm blaming the fever on that. ;P
04/22/2020 10:17:11 AM · #7
Originally posted by marnet:

Sorry, Wendy but Still Life with a Big Laugh would be my preference


+1
04/22/2020 03:33:25 PM · #8
...pure sadness...I like it. Something with emotion.
04/22/2020 03:48:35 PM · #9
this really speaks to the times. we can do this.
04/24/2020 12:06:33 AM · #10
Since I have been working hard on not getting depressed I will give this challenge a miss - neither enter nor vote on it. Be depressed!
04/24/2020 12:10:26 AM · #11
sadness is not the same as depression.
04/24/2020 12:23:20 AM · #12
Being sad is painful for me, I don't take pleasure from pain, I get depressed.

There is enough sad and depressing stuff happening in the world today to want to think about sad things in order to meet this challenge.
04/24/2020 12:58:01 AM · #13
I'm sorry sad is painful for you, that it leads to depression. It is not that I take pleasure from sadness: I feel that mournfulness is part of the deal.
04/24/2020 01:05:36 AM · #14
Originally posted by marnet:

Being sad is painful for me, I don't take pleasure from pain, I get depressed.

There is enough sad and depressing stuff happening in the world today to want to think about sad things in order to meet this challenge.


Think of it as soulful. History is full of sadness, music can be sad but uplifting for example. I would suggest something but don't know what you listen to. Maybe that will help.
04/24/2020 07:50:48 AM · #15
Creating art is a good remedy for sadness..maybe?
04/24/2020 10:55:01 AM · #16
I'll wager this challenge could be relabeled the 'Dead Flowers' challenge. :-}

ETA - Sorry, hadn't read this thread. Glad to know you're feeling a bit better Wendy. Hope you're back 100% soon!

Message edited by author 2020-04-24 10:56:46.
04/25/2020 01:18:10 AM · #17
A sultry women, in a red dress with a slit up her skirt singing the Blues, can be sad.
A flash of red in the woods that you think is a exotic mushroom, but turns out to be a coke can, can be happy, as it made you happy when you saw it, but sad when you found out it's true nature.
A dead bird never knew a moment of sadness before it died.
A cactus leaf dying, turns amazing colours and stuns with it displays.
A dead bouquet of flowers brought happiness to the person that received it.
A glimpse in the past of a photograph of a young women all dolled up and now 99 years old can or could be sad.
Split milk is sad, but the cat finds joy in it.
A women in black, at a funeral, can be sad, but is actually joyful.
A permanent marker drawing by your 3 year old on your brand new painted wall, could be sad. Until you frame it and display it.

I guess it is how you see it and title it.

Or, again I am just rambling (((see that could be sad as well, for a person))) !!

04/25/2020 11:20:25 AM · #18
Originally posted by JulietNN:

A sultry women, in a red dress with a slit up her skirt singing the Blues, can be sad.
A flash of red in the woods that you think is a exotic mushroom, but turns out to be a coke can, can be happy, as it made you happy when you saw it, but sad when you found out it's true nature.
A dead bird never knew a moment of sadness before it died.
A cactus leaf dying, turns amazing colours and stuns with it displays.
A dead bouquet of flowers brought happiness to the person that received it.
A glimpse in the past of a photograph of a young women all dolled up and now 99 years old can or could be sad.
Split milk is sad, but the cat finds joy in it.
A women in black, at a funeral, can be sad, but is actually joyful.
A permanent marker drawing by your 3 year old on your brand new painted wall, could be sad. Until you frame it and display it.

I guess it is how you see it and title it.

Or, again I am just rambling (((see that could be sad as well, for a person))) !!

Some fun ideas, but I thought this was a 'Still Life' challenge? Some of the above wouldn't fit that definition. At least IMO.
04/25/2020 12:02:29 PM · #19
it was a poem, juliet naughty nice.
04/25/2020 01:04:23 PM · #20
Originally posted by glad2badad:

Originally posted by JulietNN:

A sultry women, in a red dress with a slit up her skirt singing the Blues, can be sad.
A flash of red in the woods that you think is a exotic mushroom, but turns out to be a coke can, can be happy, as it made you happy when you saw it, but sad when you found out it's true nature.
A dead bird never knew a moment of sadness before it died.
A cactus leaf dying, turns amazing colours and stuns with it displays.
A dead bouquet of flowers brought happiness to the person that received it.
A glimpse in the past of a photograph of a young women all dolled up and now 99 years old can or could be sad.
Split milk is sad, but the cat finds joy in it.
A women in black, at a funeral, can be sad, but is actually joyful.
A permanent marker drawing by your 3 year old on your brand new painted wall, could be sad. Until you frame it and display it.

I guess it is how you see it and title it.

Or, again I am just rambling (((see that could be sad as well, for a person))) !!

Some fun ideas, but I thought this was a 'Still Life' challenge? Some of the above wouldn't fit that definition. At least IMO.


Yeah, forgot about that bit, got to rambling instead about sad. ROFL
04/25/2020 01:52:36 PM · #21
It is important for this challenge to maintain two qualities perfectly, stillness and sadness. For some reason, life is not important. Any life that does make it into this challenge must of course remain still.

And remember to keep your sadness pure. Do not mingle it with tears or regret. Do not moan or make any noise. Let it move effortlessly through your composition, the eye must follow it through all parts of the photograph and then out of frame, into the viewer's own life, where he/she will see the perfect sadness they inhabit, the sadness reflecting upon all things, even those things they love that will some day be gone forever.

As you frame your shot, you will notice that this even distribution of deep, essential sorrow is both impossible and unavoidable. You can press the shutter at this moment or just before, but don't dally. Moments never last. That is why the photographer is always betraying them.
04/26/2020 01:43:46 PM · #22
Self portraits allowed? I'm very still. And I'm sad.
04/26/2020 08:40:16 PM · #23
But are you still sad?
04/26/2020 10:56:09 PM · #24
Originally posted by tnun:

But are you still sad?


Ha! Not now. Thanks for the laugh! :-)
04/28/2020 04:35:06 PM · #25
Originally posted by posthumous:

It is important for this challenge to maintain two qualities perfectly, stillness and sadness. For some reason, life is not important. Any life that does make it into this challenge must of course remain still.

And remember to keep your sadness pure. Do not mingle it with tears or regret. Do not moan or make any noise. Let it move effortlessly through your composition, the eye must follow it through all parts of the photograph and then out of frame, into the viewer's own life, where he/she will see the perfect sadness they inhabit, the sadness reflecting upon all things, even those things they love that will some day be gone forever.

As you frame your shot, you will notice that this even distribution of deep, essential sorrow is both impossible and unavoidable. You can press the shutter at this moment or just before, but don't dally. Moments never last. That is why the photographer is always betraying them.


hahahaha!

I needed that laugh. I've been researching sadness, sad things, etc for the past hour.

Now, I'm depressed.

Pages:  
Current Server Time: 05/29/2020 07:40:37 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 05/29/2020 07:40:37 PM EDT.