DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Current Challenge >> Rules regarding defishing
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 11 of 11, (reverse)
AuthorThread
02/23/2020 12:03:57 PM · #1
I'm not sure defishing is something I'll ever want to use for a challenge because I like fisheye photography, but I guess it could happen.

My entry in Extended Free Study was shot with a 7artisans 7.5mm fisheye lens and shows quite a lot of distortion. While I like it, not everyone will.

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/2000-2999/2973/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1245794.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/2000-2999/2973/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1245794.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

Clearly the defished version shown below would have been legal for this challenge, but would it have passed under the current advanced rule set?

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/0-4999/2158/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1246095.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/0-4999/2158/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1246095.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
02/23/2020 12:10:56 PM · #2
That would be legal. You could even completely defish it if you were so inclined.
02/23/2020 12:40:43 PM · #3
I really like the fisheye version, Gina!
02/23/2020 12:42:43 PM · #4
Thanks Robert.

I tried a total defish but I didn't like the way the bottom turned out. It doesn't help that Photoshop CS5 doesn't have a profile to match my new lens. I'm not sure whether newer versions do.
02/23/2020 12:43:30 PM · #5
Originally posted by Lydia:

I really like the fisheye version, Gina!


Thanks Lydia. I prefer it too, and it's impossible to please everyone.
02/23/2020 01:37:49 PM · #6
I've defished many entries when I was using a 7.5mm fisheye as my wideangle (it was quite inexpensive). I'm the opposite of yourself, I like wideangle, but not usually the distorted fisheye look. I've since bought a more normal 7.5mm wide lens.

I did have one entry where I thought it worked well for the subject, so I left it and it did well in the challenge.
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/2000-2999/2822/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1234756.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/2000-2999/2822/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1234756.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

Message edited by author 2020-02-23 13:40:39.
02/23/2020 06:19:50 PM · #7
My 'normal' wide angle lens is my EF-M 11-22mm. Pretty good for a lot of things, but I tried reshooting my challenge entry with it and was amazed how much of the scene I lost - almost the entire ceiling and, more importantly, the sides of the lights. And it was impossible to take a step back without losing the entire bottom area.

That certainly made me appreciate the ability to defish if I need to.
02/23/2020 07:49:20 PM · #8
Originally posted by GinaRothfels:

That certainly made me appreciate the ability to defish if I need to.

Do bear in mind that a true, rectilinear defishing will cost you a LOT of peripheral real estate, as I discovered to my chagrin once whilst shooting a bridge :-(
02/23/2020 11:31:08 PM · #9
Originally posted by Yo_Spiff:

I've defished many entries when I was using a 7.5mm fisheye as my wideangle (it was quite inexpensive). I'm the opposite of yourself, I like wideangle, but not usually the distorted fisheye look. I've since bought a more normal 7.5mm wide lens.

I did have one entry where I thought it worked well for the subject, so I left it and it did well in the challenge.
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/2000-2999/2822/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1234756.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/2000-2999/2822/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1234756.jpg', '/') + 1) . '


This portrait made such an impression on me when I saw it. I'd never considered using a fisheye on a portrait and this was masterful.
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/1000-1999/1207/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_887130.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/1000-1999/1207/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_887130.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
02/24/2020 12:10:42 AM · #10
Originally posted by tanguera:

This portrait made such an impression on me when I saw it. I'd never considered using a fisheye on a portrait and this was masterful.
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/1000-1999/1207/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_887130.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/1000-1999/1207/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_887130.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

I agree it's a masterful portrait, but it wasn't shot with a fish. He used an extreme wide-angle 10-24mm rectilinear lens on a crop-sensor camera, the equivalent of a 16-35mm on a FF camera.
02/24/2020 12:15:43 AM · #11
Originally posted by Bear_Music:

I agree it's a masterful portrait, but it wasn't shot with a fish. He used an extreme wide-angle 10-24mm rectilinear lens on a crop-sensor camera, the equivalent of a 16-35mm on a FF camera.


*Blush* Thanks. Bear is correct, not a fisheye. I have a liking for these closeup wideangle portraits. I was about 9" from his face and the minor discomfort of the camera being so close was what produced that smile. BTW, that lens is for sale since I've move to Micro 4/3.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 04/05/2020 08:05:18 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 04/05/2020 08:05:18 PM EDT.