DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Stock Photography >> Arcangel - anyone with them?
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 13 of 13, (reverse)
AuthorThread
12/09/2019 06:36:08 PM · #1
Letting the title speak for itself. I've uploaded samples of my work - past entries from here - but so far not a peep from them. Been over a week now. Their application form is annoyingly vague.

I make barely any sales on Alamy but at least they notify you if they're rejecting your work or application! I *get* that Arcangel is a next-level stock site. I am pretty sure I can get in, given a fair chance and some feedback....and unlike Alamy you're apparently only there for a 3-year contract at a time. Smart actually, keeps things fresh.

ETA: Yes I know that Wendy Stevenson, aka shudderbug here, is on Arcangel....but she has yet to bother to respond to any emails from me.

Message edited by author 2019-12-09 18:37:02.
12/15/2019 03:17:59 PM · #2
bump
02/02/2020 10:35:55 AM · #3
Like you snaffles, I'm on alamy (I have one sale in total!) & I've just applied to arcangel. I'm thinking arcangel for the more fine art images.

Did you ever hear back from them ?

Message edited by author 2020-02-02 10:36:27.
02/02/2020 02:15:04 PM · #4
I have just applied too so will let you know if I hear back from them.
02/02/2020 07:51:38 PM · #5
Originally posted by lrjlrj:

Like you snaffles, I'm on alamy (I have one sale in total!) & I've just applied to arcangel. I'm thinking arcangel for the more fine art images.

Did you ever hear back from them ?


No, I haven't, and I don't know if it's because I was honest and mentioned that I have images for sale on Alamy too, and they just shunt you off to the side and won't consider you for that? Also the sample images I sent them were entries from here so maybe they thought I was stealing them.

Basically it seems that if they don't care for your images you won't hear back ....kinda rude if you ask me. Alamy at least will tell you WHY your images were rejected.
02/03/2020 10:04:37 PM · #6
I have a portfolio at Arcangel. I got accepted a day or two after I applied. I don't know if they are usually that quick, but it was quick. You hear from an actual person, unlike at Alamy where QC is controlled by a machine basically. I had to complete paperwork, give tax info, etc.

I found this helpful: Arcangel Inspire They work with a lot of publishing houses. It gives you an idea of the kind of work they're looking for.

I thought the application was thorough, and you should be honest about everything. If you lie, they will catch you. It happens all the time. The images you have with Arcangel cannot be with another agency. I have some images licensed through Trevillion Images for years. If a client is using one of your images for a book cover, they don't want to see it anywhere else. Agencies can get in huge trouble if contributors aren't honest about where their work is as can the contributors.

I wouldn't link to anything from DPC. ( Sorry DPC, you look old and dated.) Link from your own website or wherever you have your images besides here. It doesn't look professional to link from here. Your ribbons here mean nothing to them.

Think of your application as a resume. Do you hear back from everyone you send a resume to? Nope. It's not rude, it's just the way it is. They don't have time to tell you why they don't want your work. Remember, as I mentioned above, real people are looking at your work, not an automated system like Alamy. I get work rejected by Arcangel. I never get a reason and that's fine. I don't take it personally. I put the images elsewhere as long as they aren't similar to what I have at Arcangel and upload some new ones for Arcangel to look through first. I do love the Arcangel does all the keywording...love it!

Another thing to keep in mind when sending in images to Arcangel...copy space. Is there room for lettering? A book title and author? Not all images need a huge negative space, but visually busy book covers are a rare thing. Also, all photos with people must have releases.

Message edited by author 2020-02-03 22:08:41.
02/03/2020 10:35:01 PM · #7
I have an account with Arcangel as well, although until today, I haven't uploaded anything to it for over a year. I don't recall how long the application took, but I don't think it was more than a few days or a week or so.
02/04/2020 05:33:56 AM · #8
I got this reply:

Hello Paul,
Thank you for your application.
We've looked through your work and unfortunately we feel it is not right for our collection.
Your work is first class but not really suitable for the industries we work in, primarily book
publishing, which have a different approach.

When we look at possible contributors work, we have to look at the work in it’s
entirety. On more than one occasions we have accepted photographers because of a few suitable pictures in a portfolio of unsuitable work. The resulting problem for us is that further submissions tend to be mostly unsuitable for our clients base, most images submitted are then rejected which frustrates the contributor and we spend a huge amount of time processing and rejecting images.

Some of the factors that we are interested in, are as follows…

Strong focal points
Narrative element, that could be applied to different themes.
Crop with 'book covers' in mind.
Avoid weak compositions that have a lack of focal points and are too 'snapshot'.

You will find examples of what we are looking for
//blog.arcangel.com/2018/09/04/what-do-we-look-for-in-book-cover-photography/
https://blog.arcangel.com/2020/01/23/book-cover-design-trends-in-2020/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3HKJte_WQk English subtitles available.
https://es.pinterest.com/arcangelimages/

Feel free to send a new portfolio anytime.

Good luck and thank you for your interest in Arcangel.

Best Regards
02/04/2020 07:01:15 AM · #9
That's incredibly constructive feedback, so very useful

Originally posted by P-A-U-L:

I got this reply:

Hello Paul,
Thank you for your application.
We've looked through your work and unfortunately we feel it is not right for our collection.
Your work is first class but not really suitable for the industries we work in, primarily book
publishing, which have a different approach.

When we look at possible contributors work, we have to look at the work in it’s
entirety. On more than one occasions we have accepted photographers because of a few suitable pictures in a portfolio of unsuitable work. The resulting problem for us is that further submissions tend to be mostly unsuitable for our clients base, most images submitted are then rejected which frustrates the contributor and we spend a huge amount of time processing and rejecting images.

Some of the factors that we are interested in, are as follows…

Strong focal points
Narrative element, that could be applied to different themes.
Crop with 'book covers' in mind.
Avoid weak compositions that have a lack of focal points and are too 'snapshot'.

You will find examples of what we are looking for
//blog.arcangel.com/2018/09/04/what-do-we-look-for-in-book-cover-photography/
https://blog.arcangel.com/2020/01/23/book-cover-design-trends-in-2020/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3HKJte_WQk English subtitles available.
https://es.pinterest.com/arcangelimages/

Feel free to send a new portfolio anytime.

Good luck and thank you for your interest in Arcangel.

Best Regards
02/04/2020 09:38:34 AM · #10
Originally posted by salmiakki:

That's incredibly constructive feedback, so very useful



Totally agree and totally understand why they felt my photography is not suitable. I don't want to waste time submitting and being rejected.

02/10/2020 05:35:25 AM · #11
Paul,
That's useful feedback from arcangel - except that I got exactly the same rejection a few days ago. Maybe it's relevant to both of us, maybe not!


02/10/2020 07:16:12 AM · #12
Originally posted by lrjlrj:

Paul,
That's useful feedback from arcangel - except that I got exactly the same rejection a few days ago. Maybe it's relevant to both of us, maybe not!


Oh that is interesting to hear. It may well be just one of their standard responses but it did make sense and I would tend to agree my portfolio doesn't match their requirements.

I realise I will never make loads of money from Stock but nice to make a few beer tokens for very little effort.
02/11/2020 05:05:34 PM · #13
Originally posted by RKT:

I have a portfolio at Arcangel. I got accepted a day or two after I applied. I don't know if they are usually that quick, but it was quick. You hear from an actual person, unlike at Alamy where QC is controlled by a machine basically. I had to complete paperwork, give tax info, etc.

I found this helpful: Arcangel Inspire They work with a lot of publishing houses. It gives you an idea of the kind of work they're looking for.

I thought the application was thorough, and you should be honest about everything. If you lie, they will catch you. It happens all the time. The images you have with Arcangel cannot be with another agency. I have some images licensed through Trevillion Images for years. If a client is using one of your images for a book cover, they don't want to see it anywhere else. Agencies can get in huge trouble if contributors aren't honest about where their work is as can the contributors.

I wouldn't link to anything from DPC. ( Sorry DPC, you look old and dated.) Link from your own website or wherever you have your images besides here. It doesn't look professional to link from here. Your ribbons here mean nothing to them.

Think of your application as a resume. Do you hear back from everyone you send a resume to? Nope. It's not rude, it's just the way it is. They don't have time to tell you why they don't want your work. Remember, as I mentioned above, real people are looking at your work, not an automated system like Alamy. I get work rejected by Arcangel. I never get a reason and that's fine. I don't take it personally. I put the images elsewhere as long as they aren't similar to what I have at Arcangel and upload some new ones for Arcangel to look through first. I do love the Arcangel does all the keywording...love it!

Another thing to keep in mind when sending in images to Arcangel...copy space. Is there room for lettering? A book title and author? Not all images need a huge negative space, but visually busy book covers are a rare thing. Also, all photos with people must have releases.


Good to hear from someone who is actually with Arcangel! I never heard back at all in any way shape or form, and I was very honest, told them I was with Alamy.

But if I go set up a website on which to post pics to send Arcangel, wouldn't that then be exposing the images?! So now I have to go through all the bs of setting up a website of my pics, just so I can send them to Arcangel, who doesn't want your images seen anywhere else? Makes no sense at all.

FWIW I did link them to some of my DPC images (making it clear that I am the photog). Will ready more of this thread and either go shoot accordingly or just mine the archives for images that I think might be suitable....thanks for posting the links to their relevant pages, you can't access those unless you're already a contributor from what I can tell.

Message edited by author 2020-02-11 17:07:09.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 04/05/2020 08:11:05 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 04/05/2020 08:11:05 PM EDT.