DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Hardware and Software >> Finally punted Adobe
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 14 of 14, (reverse)
AuthorThread
11/27/2019 11:07:29 AM · #1
After months, I finally moved everything over to Dark Table and GIMP.
Took a while to get used to a different workflow, but next month should be the last payment to Adobe.

I'm not adverse to paying for products, I simply loathe subscription plans for most things.
11/27/2019 12:48:05 PM · #2
Up until last week, I had last played around with the GIMP about a decade and a half ago. I just recently loaded it on my work laptop, with Raw Therapee as the RAW converter. It's certainly usable, allows me to do the quick, global edits that I need to do on small work-related imaging projects. I cannot, however, say that I would use it for my everyday photo processing. One thing I quickly discovered is that GIMP still does not support non-destructive editing (no adjustment layers).
I'm normally a little subscription averse as well. They tend to creep up on you until you realize just how much you are shelling out each month in total subscription costs. In the case of the Adobe Ps/Lr Photography Plan, frankly I see the value.
11/27/2019 01:02:07 PM · #3
Equally Most annoying is when you are willing to pay for a subscription (I'm not) and the latest "update" forces you to also update the OS, which in turn forces you to purchase new hardware. I'd love to see some consumer-protection law which requires backward-compatibility (or perhaps built-in or freely supplied emulation?) in most cases.

Personally, I do without a few "advanced features" (which I doubt I'd use that often anyway) and sacrifice some speed in favor of continuing to use what I already own.
11/27/2019 01:35:28 PM · #4
Originally posted by kirbic:

One thing I quickly discovered is that GIMP still does not support non-destructive editing (no adjustment layers).

No, it doesn't.
It's on their to-do list. Definitely a deal breaker for many potential users.
11/27/2019 01:54:45 PM · #5
Had to check, non-destructive adjustments are coming in release 3.2.
Their road map doesn't specify when it's expected to be released; could be tomorrow (unlikely) or two years from now.
11/27/2019 01:59:10 PM · #6
Originally posted by GeneralE:

Equally Most annoying is when you are willing to pay for a subscription (I'm not) and the latest "update" forces you to also update the OS, which in turn forces you to purchase new hardware.


That's certainly a hamster wheel that is difficult to stay off. It's most irksome with regard to smart phones, which have strictly planned obsolescence. You're lucky if you get OS updates after two or three years.

11/27/2019 02:00:45 PM · #7
Originally posted by kirbic:

That's certainly a hamster wheel that is difficult to stay off. It's most irksome with regard to smart phones, which have strictly planned obsolescence. You're lucky if you get OS updates after two or three years.

The easy solution is to never own a cell phone.
One day when my iPod dies (11 years old) I'll be left with little choice, until then I'm holding out.
11/27/2019 04:27:42 PM · #8
I've been sticking with using the camera manufacturer's RAW converter and Corel PSP. I've played around a little with some alternate 3rd party RAW editors. I have both Canon and Olympus cameras, so it would be nice to be able to use the same thing all around. So far I haven't gotten comfortable with anything else.
11/27/2019 07:13:27 PM · #9
Originally posted by Yo_Spiff:

I've been sticking with using the camera manufacturer's RAW converter and Corel PSP. I've played around a little with some alternate 3rd party RAW editors. I have both Canon and Olympus cameras, so it would be nice to be able to use the same thing all around. So far I haven't gotten comfortable with anything else.

Corel AfterShot Pro?
11/27/2019 08:32:04 PM · #10
Originally posted by glad2badad:

Corel AfterShot Pro?

Tried the free version of Afterhshot that they included with PSP and couldn't quite get used to it. I try every once in a while. It may be the lightroom-esque interface that everyone is going to these days.
11/27/2019 08:48:19 PM · #11
Maybe I'll give it another shot. I just ran up Aftershot (not Pro) that was installed with my PSP 2018 and it is offering me Aftershot pro for only $20. Do you know if there is there any compatibility with plugins made for Lightroom?
11/27/2019 11:26:38 PM · #12
Whilst I don't love paying a monthly subscription I have decided to also use Adobe Portfolio which is a free web hosting that allows me use my own domain name.
I also regularly use Adobe Spark for presentations and because I subscribe I can add branding.
Figure it's worth the money when I add these to the mix.

My website
My Adobe Portfolio Website

A Spark presentation
Victoria Trip
11/28/2019 01:33:25 PM · #13
Originally posted by Yo_Spiff:

Maybe I'll give it another shot. I just ran up Aftershot (not Pro) that was installed with my PSP 2018 and it is offering me Aftershot pro for only $20. Do you know if there is there any compatibility with plugins made for Lightroom?

Sorry, I don't know. I rarely use RAW files nowadays (when I do I use AfterShot Pro for conversion). Haven't used Lightroom in years, and when I did I never used any plugins. Only plugins I've used are Topaz and Nik, but I use those in PSP.
11/28/2019 02:15:59 PM · #14
Originally posted by RamblinR:

Whilst I don't love paying a monthly subscription I have decided to also use Adobe Portfolio which is a free web hosting that allows me use my own domain name.

Ahhhhh.
Much cheaper than I'm paying over at Zenfolio. I might need to keep Adobe to save money (sounds oxymoronic).

Message edited by author 2019-11-28 14:19:38.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 12/13/2019 10:55:05 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2019 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 12/13/2019 10:55:05 PM EST.