DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Hardware and Software >> Computer won't import photos.
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 19 of 19, (reverse)
AuthorThread
11/21/2019 11:48:23 PM · #1
I plug in my camera usb and my computer shows it is searching for new photos and videos. It counts them - 3927 photos found - and then it freezes. This problem has been intermittent for a few weeks. Turning the computer off completely, even unplugging it, then starting again was working. But not today. Same story with a usb card reader.

I've entered today's challenge by using my old computer. What a hassle that was! Old programs, slow, slow, slow. And even a hassle to view what I put on. Definitely not a solution.

Can anyone suggest what might be wrong?
11/23/2019 07:49:20 AM · #2
Bump. Anyone? Today was no better than yesterday.
11/23/2019 09:08:50 AM · #3
The SD card? If it is the same from the camera and the card reader then maybe the card is faulty. Try this:

"Windows Check Disk

Open Windows Explorer and find the drive for your SD card in the folder panel. Right-click on your SD card drive and select Properties.

Select the Tools tab and click the Check now... button in the Error-checking section."
11/23/2019 09:57:35 AM · #4
Hard drive space on the computer ?

Windows or Mac?
11/23/2019 03:12:35 PM · #5
Originally posted by MAK:

Hard drive space on the computer ?

Windows or Mac?


Windows 10. No, it's not a lack of space.
11/23/2019 03:29:53 PM · #6
Originally posted by marnet:

The SD card? If it is the same from the camera and the card reader then maybe the card is faulty. Try this:

"Windows Check Disk

Open Windows Explorer and find the drive for your SD card in the folder panel. Right-click on your SD card drive and select Properties.

Select the Tools tab and click the Check now... button in the Error-checking section."


I don't think it's the card. My old computer could read that okay. It has its own card reader slot. My 'new' computer has to have a usb connection. It has 3 usb ports but it's the same with all of them.
11/23/2019 05:45:55 PM · #7
Just for kicks, try connecting the camera to the computer with the card in the camera, and see if the computer can read THAT. It may be as simple as an out-of-synch-version issue with the reader and the USB ports you have, although supposedly the newer ports are all backwards compatible.
11/23/2019 06:19:29 PM · #8
Originally posted by Bear_Music:

Just for kicks, try connecting the camera to the computer with the card in the camera, and see if the computer can read THAT. It may be as simple as an out-of-synch-version issue with the reader and the USB ports you have, although supposedly the newer ports are all backwards compatible.


That is my usual method. I only tried the card reader because having the camera plugged in wasn't working.
11/23/2019 07:49:59 PM · #9
Well, strange thing, it's either fixed (unlikely) or back to being an intermittent problem. I just plugged in another usb device which worked, then plugged my camera back in and successfully uploaded the photos. It's only been 3 days of trying. I guess with computers, it isn't crazy to keep trying the same things and hoping for a different outcome.
11/23/2019 11:55:41 PM · #10
Glad you were able to access your images after all. Were all 3,927 photos new ones? I have seen a number of sources that recommend formatting the memory card every time pictures are transferred to the computer. This is because formatting the card helps prevent minor card corruption and isolates newly forming bad sectors (that can interfere with proper reading of the card). Deleting photos to make room does not provide the same advantage. Just be sure to always confirm the pictures all exist on the computer drive before formatting the card.
11/24/2019 01:52:59 AM · #11
Originally posted by bob350:

Glad you were able to access your images after all. Were all 3,927 photos new ones? I have seen a number of sources that recommend formatting the memory card every time pictures are transferred to the computer. This is because formatting the card helps prevent minor card corruption and isolates newly forming bad sectors (that can interfere with proper reading of the card). Deleting photos to make room does not provide the same advantage. Just be sure to always confirm the pictures all exist on the computer drive before formatting the card.


No, they weren't all new photos. Only about 110 of them. I do delete photos I don't want rather than format. That is something new to try, thanks.
11/24/2019 09:38:48 AM · #12
Some sources advise formatting the card in the camera using the built-in function to assure fully functional results. Using the computer to format the card while in the card reader may be less reliable. I read somewhere that some cameras have a choice between quick format and deep format. When available, deep format would do a better job. I don't have any reliable information about the distinction.
11/24/2019 12:33:18 PM · #13
Originally posted by bob350:

Some sources advise formatting the card in the camera using the built-in function to assure fully functional results. Using the computer to format the card while in the card reader may be less reliable. I read somewhere that some cameras have a choice between quick format and deep format. When available, deep format would do a better job. I don't have any reliable information about the distinction.

Amen to that. I reformat my card, in-camera, after every download to the computer. I leave nothing on the card.
11/24/2019 01:44:30 PM · #14
Originally posted by Bear_Music:

Originally posted by bob350:

Some sources advise formatting the card in the camera using the built-in function to assure fully functional results. Using the computer to format the card while in the card reader may be less reliable. I read somewhere that some cameras have a choice between quick format and deep format. When available, deep format would do a better job. I don't have any reliable information about the distinction.

Amen to that. I reformat my card, in-camera, after every download to the computer. I leave nothing on the card.

+1
11/24/2019 05:38:10 PM · #15
I used to use card readers but they aren't worth it, they just don't do a good enough job and crap out on you. Nowadays I just cable the camera to comp (usb2.0 cable I think) and it works perfectly. I need to rformat my card more often too!
11/24/2019 07:24:07 PM · #16
I never used card readers until I discovered that downloading through my point-and-shoot camera messed with the EXIF data, leaving me with no valid jpg originals for minimal challenges. I suspect the same may apply with my M50.
11/24/2019 08:58:44 PM · #17
Originally posted by GinaRothfels:

I never used card readers until I discovered that downloading through my point-and-shoot camera messed with the EXIF data, leaving me with no valid jpg originals for minimal challenges. I suspect the same may apply with my M50.

That only happens when you use the manufacturer's software to download the images. If you attach the camera to the computer then open "My Computer" you should see it mounted as a drive, or at least a source, like a memory stick would be. Then you can do a drag 'n drop download and there will be no EXIF adjustments made.
11/25/2019 03:32:32 AM · #18
Originally posted by Bear_Music:

Originally posted by GinaRothfels:

I never used card readers until I discovered that downloading through my point-and-shoot camera messed with the EXIF data, leaving me with no valid jpg originals for minimal challenges. I suspect the same may apply with my M50.

That only happens when you use the manufacturer's software to download the images. If you attach the camera to the computer then open "My Computer" you should see it mounted as a drive, or at least a source, like a memory stick would be. Then you can do a drag 'n drop download and there will be no EXIF adjustments made.


It's been a while since I connected one of my cameras to my computer, but I'm pretty sure I didn't use the camera's software. I usually download using cut and paste.

When I discovered the problem I was advised to use Adobe Bridge's download function and that worked for a while but I'm still using CS5 and Bridge doesn't even see the RAW files from my M50 so I was forced to revert to cut and paste.
12/12/2019 05:36:48 AM · #19
Hi Jomari, I think your system have not enough space in a hard disk or RAM is low because you are using old computer and the data of images high resolution. I would suggest you can update you system OS and drivers.

Message edited by author 2019-12-12 05:40:04.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 12/13/2019 10:50:26 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2019 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 12/13/2019 10:50:26 PM EST.