DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Hardware and Software >> Mac geeks, need help!
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 13 of 13, (reverse)
AuthorThread
11/17/2019 07:18:19 PM · #1
Hey all, I recently upgraded my new macmini and it runs Mojave. I already had to do some dicking around with it to stop it from crashing PS - would let you open a file, but then immediately crash it the moment you chose a tool and went to go use it on the pic.

Now it seems that there is a NIK-related bug with Mojave/PS too. I went to apply a Silver filter and PS crashed.

All I can say is thank gawd I kept my old mini with El Capitan and it works just fine. Still annoying that I have to switch Macs come PS time.

The fix I saw online basically says that there is an issue with smart layers. I dunno about that haven't yet tried it. But if someone knows of an easy work around please let me know!!
11/17/2019 07:47:44 PM · #2
For the Nik issue try this: Open an image in PS and launch any of the plugins, like Silver. Once it opens, click on the Plugin's Properties or settings and check "Open on the same layer" instead of the default "on a new layer".

That did it for me. The only thing is that now I just need to duplicate the layer every time before I lunch Nik. But that doesn't bother me.
11/17/2019 08:07:51 PM · #3
Originally posted by luissales:

For the Nik issue try this: Open an image in PS and launch any of the plugins, like Silver. Once it opens, click on the Plugin's Properties or settings and check "Open on the same layer" instead of the default "on a new layer".

That did it for me. The only thing is that now I just need to duplicate the layer every time before I lunch Nik. But that doesn't bother me.


It does work but it's annoying as you have to do it every single time you use a NIK filter - NIK doesn't remember it. Thanks though it does work!
11/17/2019 08:19:14 PM · #4
Once you change the setting on a plugin, it should remain like that, permanently. It's a one time thing. Now, creating a layer copy in PS before applying Nik, that you have to do all the time. That is, unless you don't care applying the effect on the same layer you're working on.

Glad it worked for you.

Message edited by author 2019-11-17 20:20:57.
11/24/2019 05:34:14 PM · #5
hey Luissales, how to deal with this so it doesn't show up each time I close or quit PS? ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/55000-59999/59029/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1243330.png', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/55000-59999/59029/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1243330.png', '/') + 1) . '
11/24/2019 10:45:13 PM · #6
Try this:

- Go to System Preferences
- Security & Privacy
- Click on the Privacy Tab
- Scroll down and click "Accessibility" on the left pane
- Check the box next to Photoshop on the right Pane, under "Allow the apps below to control your computer"

Please, notice that, for you to make any changes here, you'll need to first click on the little lock, at the bottom, and enter your password. Then you can make changes.

Let me know if it works for you.

11/25/2019 08:32:28 AM · #7
Originally posted by luissales:

Try this:

- Go to System Preferences
- Security & Privacy
- Click on the Privacy Tab
- Scroll down and click "Accessibility" on the left pane
- Check the box next to Photoshop on the right Pane, under "Allow the apps below to control your computer"

Please, notice that, for you to make any changes here, you'll need to first click on the little lock, at the bottom, and enter your password. Then you can make changes.

Let me know if it works for you.


Hey Luis, it did kinda work but I still get the little notice right at the very end, just got it now...don't know why if it's allowed you to make changes that this would still crop up
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/55000-59999/59029/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1243352.png', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/55000-59999/59029/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1243352.png', '/') + 1) . '

Message edited by author 2019-11-25 08:33:33.
11/25/2019 09:49:50 AM · #8
I see.

Check this link: Adobe Crash on Exit. It refers to Illustrator but I guess you can try it anyway.

At this point it comes down to CS5 being 7 years old and Adobe not updating it anymore so I guess, eventually, you won't be able to run it anymore. Sorry.
11/25/2019 10:04:27 AM · #9
32 bit program running on 64bit OS.

Apple are really pushing people to upgrade and Mojave is the first serious OS that is pushing this. Catalina, I believe will NOT run any 32 bit apps, so please do not upgrade again.

I hate the way they force people to upgrade stuff regardless of the individuals satisfaction or preference.
11/25/2019 12:47:35 PM · #10
Originally posted by MAK:

32 bit program running on 64bit OS.

Apple are really pushing people to upgrade and Mojave is the first serious OS that is pushing this. Catalina, I believe will NOT run any 32 bit apps, so please do not upgrade again.

I hate the way they force people to upgrade stuff regardless of the individuals satisfaction or preference.


I've heard that too about Catalina, my Mac guy who helps me with upgrades etc has ensured that Mojave is as far as this new mac will go.
11/25/2019 06:43:50 PM · #11
It's a "common" issue with people trying to run "old" applications.

Apple wants to push people to the latest stuff. Adobe trying to put more people into the Subscription service. And everyday more Vendors trying to go the 100% digital download/subscription approach. Easy to see how it has become increasingly hard to keep those Apps running.
11/25/2019 09:46:13 PM · #12
Originally posted by luissales:

It's a "common" issue with people trying to run "old" applications.

Apple wants to push people to the latest stuff. Adobe trying to put more people into the Subscription service. And everyday more Vendors trying to go the 100% digital download/subscription approach. Easy to see how it has become increasingly hard to keep those Apps running.


Yeah essentially good ol *planned obsolcence* has never lost its power to make peeps buy/upgrade more...and more....and more....*sigh*
11/26/2019 04:54:06 AM · #13
Originally posted by snaffles:


I've heard that too about Catalina, my Mac guy who helps me with upgrades etc has ensured that Mojave is as far as this new mac will go.


Your Mac guy is referring to the hardware of your actual machine, and to be fair, if it has installed Mojave (which requires a metal based video card to instal) then it will instal Catalina too, the issue is with the software support.

If I were you, honestly, I would reinstall a fresh copy of high sierra and leave it there. The other option is to buy a new version of Adobe rental crap cloud subscription software package.. :)

I bought a piece of musical hardware, it was an ADAT, the system was Yosemite, after the upgrade to el capitan, all fine, next up to Sierra.. Hardware not recognised, cannot roll back, need to reinstall.. ANGRY!! £1000 worth of hardware disabled by OSX. I did manage to get it up and running using a command at root level but was a royal PITA and quite disgusting..

I have no idea what machine you are running so all this is guesswork really.. Good luck.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 12/13/2019 11:08:37 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2019 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 12/13/2019 11:08:37 PM EST.