DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Hardware and Software >> NIK COLLECTION 2 - Anyone tried it yet?
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 14 of 14, (reverse)
AuthorThread
06/11/2019 04:21:57 AM · #1
I see there is a new version of Nik Efex available - looks like there are a load of new presets. Anyone tried it yet?

https://nikcollection.dxo.com/release-notes-2
06/11/2019 12:19:08 PM · #2
I have it. $39.00 upgrade for the moment. The changes they have made to it really aren't especially significant for those of us who are diehard PS/LR users. The presets are nice, but... The reason *I* bought it is I travel with a very hi-resolution laptop and the previous version didn't understand that, so my NIK tools displayed with literally microscopic type and I couldn't find a way to change that. I trialed the new version, and the tools display at a nominal size now, so I snapped it up.

The other thing NIK does now is integrate directly into DxO Photolab 2, a very nice, powerful RAW processing engine. When you buy the upgrade, they will download you a lite version of Photolab 2. I already HAVE the full version, so I'm integrated into that, but I have not been in the habit of using it before now. In theory, if I process my RAWS through Photolab I can now use u-point technology and al the NIK tools on RAW files. I'll give it a try sometime :-)
06/12/2019 02:36:35 AM · #3
I wonder if it will work with Aperture. I still have switched not LR, not do I feel inclined to.
06/12/2019 03:15:01 AM · #4
From their description not much has changed? Just few more presets? I haven't tried it but I thought the change was too minimal. I absolutely love LR and used it since version 1 so no interest in Photolab. I am also suspecting that they got NIK to use it as marketing tool for selling Photolab :(
06/12/2019 03:58:02 AM · #5
Thanks Robert. That is interesting to hear. I am quite lazy so love a good preset and with some extra stability and the discount I am quite tempted.
06/12/2019 09:20:00 AM · #6
I would be interested in your DxO Photolab / Nik impressions if you get time to investigate that, Robert. I have been having a lot of Photoshop crashes -- especially with the Nik tools. I installed the trial of the new Nik tools hoping it would provide relief. Unfortunately, it did not.

I may revert to an earlier PS to see if I can get some stability.
06/12/2019 12:00:23 PM · #7
I bit the bullet as seemed worth the money to me. It installed with Photoshop 2019 on Windows 10 without any problems and seems to work perfectly. I really like the new presets too. I watched a video that reviewed it and that convinced me. Funny thing is I realised I had only been using the 7 or so Classic presets in Analog and now realise there were a load of other categories - not sure how I missed them.

It was about £41.60 in the UK if you are VAT registered.
06/12/2019 03:02:19 PM · #8
Originally posted by markwiley:

I would be interested in your DxO Photolab / Nik impressions if you get time to investigate that, Robert. I have been having a lot of Photoshop crashes -- especially with the Nik tools. I installed the trial of the new Nik tools hoping it would provide relief. Unfortunately, it did not.

I may revert to an earlier PS to see if I can get some stability.

I quite like DxO Photolab, I've had a couple generations of it. It's a very efficient RAW processing engine, and now the integration of the Nik tools directly into it only make it more attractive. But I am used to LR, so I keep falling back on that. Incidentally, you can now call up Photolab FROM the LR interface, which is what I will experiment with.
06/13/2019 10:51:15 PM · #9
Would anyone know if the new version is compatible with recent versions of Corel Paint shop pro?
06/13/2019 11:16:40 PM · #10
Does photolab handle highlights as well as LR?
06/14/2019 12:09:22 PM · #11
Originally posted by tanguera:

Does photolab handle highlights as well as LR?

Seems to.
06/14/2019 01:00:19 PM · #12
where did you see upgrade for $39? for me it shows $59.

Originally posted by Bear_Music:

I have it. $39.00 upgrade for the moment. The changes they have made to it really aren't especially significant for those of us who are diehard PS/LR users. The presets are nice, but... The reason *I* bought it is I travel with a very hi-resolution laptop and the previous version didn't understand that, so my NIK tools displayed with literally microscopic type and I couldn't find a way to change that. I trialed the new version, and the tools display at a nominal size now, so I snapped it up.

The other thing NIK does now is integrate directly into DxO Photolab 2, a very nice, powerful RAW processing engine. When you buy the upgrade, they will download you a lite version of Photolab 2. I already HAVE the full version, so I'm integrated into that, but I have not been in the habit of using it before now. In theory, if I process my RAWS through Photolab I can now use u-point technology and al the NIK tools on RAW files. I'll give it a try sometime :-)
07/22/2019 04:59:09 PM · #13
Loosely connected plea for help.

Have just treated myself to a new Mac (Mojave 10.14.4 Version) and downloaded Photoshop and Nik Collection 2 (both of which were on my old MacBok.. However, try as I may, I cannot get the Nik element embedded into PShop. Have tried closing PS , uninstalling and resinstalling Nik and re-opening but to no avail. Tried 'forcing' by physically selecting the Adobe plug ins (following a You Tube guide!) it seemed to work until I actually went to the filter list again - nada, zilch zero. . Tried dragging and dropping. But keep getting told something like ' PS doesn't recognise this type of plug in'. I am also finding my images are opening under 'Adobe Camera Raw' , which I have never seen before, making drag and drop difficult. I'm pretty rubbish with IT at the best of time so grateful for some Noddy-level advice

Thanks in advance.

Giving up for the night (2200hrs here) ready to fight it again tomorrow!
07/22/2019 10:15:36 PM · #14
on your computer, go to this location "/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-Ins/CC/DXO" and see if that DXO folder exists and it has folders like below and if they do not then that is what your problem is. Each of these folders have respective plugins. I would suggest to uninstall NIK and re-install. even if that doesn't solve the problem then sorry but you will have to contact DXO for that.

Analog Efex Pro 2
HDR Efex Pro 2
Silver Efex Pro 2
Color Efex Pro 4
Selective Tool
Viveza 2
Dfine 2
Sharpener Pro 3


Originally posted by Pangurban:

Loosely connected plea for help.

Have just treated myself to a new Mac (Mojave 10.14.4 Version) and downloaded Photoshop and Nik Collection 2 (both of which were on my old MacBok.. However, try as I may, I cannot get the Nik element embedded into PShop. Have tried closing PS , uninstalling and resinstalling Nik and re-opening but to no avail. Tried 'forcing' by physically selecting the Adobe plug ins (following a You Tube guide!) it seemed to work until I actually went to the filter list again - nada, zilch zero. . Tried dragging and dropping. But keep getting told something like ' PS doesn't recognise this type of plug in'. I am also finding my images are opening under 'Adobe Camera Raw' , which I have never seen before, making drag and drop difficult. I'm pretty rubbish with IT at the best of time so grateful for some Noddy-level advice

Thanks in advance.

Giving up for the night (2200hrs here) ready to fight it again tomorrow!
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 07/23/2019 08:01:02 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2019 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 07/23/2019 08:01:02 AM EDT.