DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Hardware and Software >> Save for Web mystery color shift
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 19 of 19, (reverse)
AuthorThread
05/08/2019 09:00:01 PM · #1
So, SUDDENLY, when I save for web, it's rendering a VERY red image. This just started today. I checked all the usual suspects (making sure the color space, etc. are all sRGB) - it's all good. I've changed nothing at all in any of my settings.

Plus I just checked, and even if I save as a jpg, it's turning everything red....

Help!!
05/08/2019 09:02:21 PM · #2
What format are you saving it from (and to), and what (version) software?
05/08/2019 09:56:43 PM · #3
Originally posted by GeneralE:

What format are you saving it from (and to), and what (version) software?


I'm on a new PC running windows 10, and whatever the latest iteration of cc is
05/08/2019 10:14:46 PM · #4
My condolences ... :-)

Want to email me a small (scaled-down) .PSD file to check out?

And/or just for fun maybe you should try making the file conversion using IrfanView -- fast and free and can handle many file formats. I use it a lot for previewing and batch processing; I find it much easier for that than PS.
05/09/2019 02:07:04 AM · #5
Originally posted by GeneralE:

My condolences ... :-)

Want to email me a small (scaled-down) .PSD file to check out?

And/or just for fun maybe you should try making the file conversion using IrfanView -- fast and free and can handle many file formats. I use it a lot for previewing and batch processing; I find it much easier for that than PS.


Hmmm, I'll try the software. Do I import the psd file?
05/09/2019 04:49:44 AM · #6
Have you tried looking at the Jpeg with Firefox? Does it look OK there?
05/09/2019 05:13:06 AM · #7
Chances are your new computer has a wide-gamut monitor. I went through this very same problem as well, and tried loads of tricks, none resulting in something satisfactory. In the end I put my monitor in "sRGB mode" (directly on the monitor interface), artificially limiting its output capabilities. This is the only "fix" that really worked for me, all other adjustments I tried had some problems in a way or another.

As far as I understood, the main problem lies in the fact that operating systems are engineered for sRGB-compliant display environments, not wide-gamut ones. In Photoshop (or any color-managed application), it is great, because the software compensates for it and allows you to benefit from the better hardware (then you can for example print it, in wide-gamut). However, outside of such application, the problem appears (namely, web browsers are mostly not color-managed). You can read some information here.
05/09/2019 07:49:11 AM · #8
Originally posted by tanguera:

Originally posted by GeneralE:

My condolences ... :-)

Want to email me a small (scaled-down) .PSD file to check out?

And/or just for fun maybe you should try making the file conversion using IrfanView -- fast and free and can handle many file formats. I use it a lot for previewing and batch processing; I find it much easier for that than PS.


Hmmm, I'll try the software. Do I import the psd file?

You can just use the File>Open command, and then Save-As. I use the menu, as some of the keyboard shortcuts can be different from other programs.

But it is probably the monitor issue, as noted ...
05/09/2019 10:57:52 AM · #9
Originally posted by gyaban:

Chances are your new computer has a wide-gamut monitor. I went through this very same problem as well, and tried loads of tricks, none resulting in something satisfactory. In the end I put my monitor in "sRGB mode" (directly on the monitor interface), artificially limiting its output capabilities. This is the only "fix" that really worked for me, all other adjustments I tried had some problems in a way or another.

As far as I understood, the main problem lies in the fact that operating systems are engineered for sRGB-compliant display environments, not wide-gamut ones. In Photoshop (or any color-managed application), it is great, because the software compensates for it and allows you to benefit from the better hardware (then you can for example print it, in wide-gamut). However, outside of such application, the problem appears (namely, web browsers are mostly not color-managed). You can read some information here.


While all of this may certainly be true, this problem just suddenly emerged yesterday. I bought a Benq monitor about 6 months ago without any issues whatsoever. I do not believe it is a monitor issue at all, but something has changed in how PS saves its files.

If it were the monitor, then it wouldn't look right in photoshop either. Not only that. I did a screen grab of the image in photoshop and compared it to the image as both save for web and save as jpg - both of which were positively scarlet by comparison. If it were the monitor I wouldn't be able to detect any difference. Plus I shared the images with a friend, who was able to see the differences as well.

Finally, a very inelegant workaround is to complete desaturate the reds in photoshop; when saved, the image comes as close as I can get it to "normal".

Message edited by author 2019-05-09 10:58:59.
05/09/2019 11:33:31 AM · #10
The mystery thickens.

I've lowered all the reds in the image with an adjustment layer. When I save for web, the split screen shows the original on the left, and the to-save image on the right. The original looks VERY red (like the posted images) even though the to-save image looks exactly like the file image. However, the saved image doesn't look like the to-save image, it looks like the original - very red.

It is most definitely something in the saving process that is now working. I've Saved As, Saved for Web, Export As... As I've said, I've checked all the places where color space/choice is, have everything checked to sRGB. I've even tried saving as CMYK, 8-bit channel, etc. Nothing. The image looks fine in photoshop, but all attempts to save it render it a red/magenta mess.

Message edited by author 2019-05-09 11:49:13.
05/09/2019 01:22:36 PM · #11
I'll be home for the next 2-3 hours if you want to send me the PSD file (send the "normal" one, not the desat red).
05/11/2019 02:47:09 PM · #12
Something to try... create an "image" that is nothing but a continuous tone of neutral gray. Ensure that it is truly neutral (R, G and B values all the same). What does it look like when rendered in Ps? Is it neutral, or is it reddish? How about when saved and viewed elsewhere?
05/11/2019 09:24:06 PM · #13
I have had similar issues in the past. Can't remember exactly how it got resolved, but I did find extra places to look for solutions. For example, in addition to "color" settings, Photoshop has additional options for how colors display tucked into the View menu. One item is "Proof Setup" which has many choices about how to make the display match the way colors are handled across lots of different devices. It seems aimed at getting the screen to give a preview of what a printer will produce (it offers many printers to emulate), but can be used in other ways as well. It can also affect how things display in general.

In the same menu, you will find "Proof Colors," with shortcut Ctrl+y. I think this item toggles on and off the settings chosen in "Proof Setup." An accidental activation of Ctrl-y combined with settings in proof setup that may not have been selected deliberately could cause unexpected display behavior.
05/12/2019 12:03:31 PM · #14
Originally posted by bob350:

I have had similar issues in the past. Can't remember exactly how it got resolved, but I did find extra places to look for solutions. For example, in addition to "color" settings, Photoshop has additional options for how colors display tucked into the View menu. One item is "Proof Setup" which has many choices about how to make the display match the way colors are handled across lots of different devices. It seems aimed at getting the screen to give a preview of what a printer will produce (it offers many printers to emulate), but can be used in other ways as well. It can also affect how things display in general.

In the same menu, you will find "Proof Colors," with shortcut Ctrl+y. I think this item toggles on and off the settings chosen in "Proof Setup." An accidental activation of Ctrl-y combined with settings in proof setup that may not have been selected deliberately could cause unexpected display behavior.


Will look 8nto that, although I don't think it's a display issue because I can see the difference between the two different versions side by side.
05/12/2019 12:06:20 PM · #15
Originally posted by kirbic:

Something to try... create an "image" that is nothing but a continuous tone of neutral gray. Ensure that it is truly neutral (R, G and B values all the same). What does it look like when rendered in Ps? Is it neutral, or is it reddish? How about when saved and viewed elsewhere?


Will try, but as stated elsewhere, the problem seems to be during the saving, not the displaying

I have found a very inelegant workaround by doing a screengrab and opening it in paint. I crop and save it there and the colors are fine
05/13/2019 09:58:13 PM · #16
Based on several suggestions here, I found something that greatly improved the image, although it didn't completely resolve the problem.

I changed the export settings in LR from sRGB to AdobeRGB (1998). This vastly improved the discrepancy in PS when I saved as jpg. Tones were almost identical, even though the original image still looks slightly redder than the output image. I also unchecked the save as sRGB box in export preferences in PS.

Playing around with the PS proof colors didn't do anything at all when saving.

It's an improvement, but...
05/14/2019 01:55:13 AM · #17
I still think it is an embedded colour profile problem that manifests in some viewers, have you tried opening one of the red coloured JPEGs with Firefox, that should read and display the image properly irrespective of an embedded colour profile.
05/14/2019 10:42:32 AM · #18
Originally posted by Paul:

I still think it is an embedded colour profile problem that manifests in some viewers, have you tried opening one of the red coloured JPEGs with Firefox, that should read and display the image properly irrespective of an embedded colour profile.


Yeah, I use firefox
05/14/2019 02:17:16 PM · #19
Have you tried dropping a faulty coloured JPEG into Firefox to use it as an image viewer? Does it still look bad?

Message edited by author 2019-05-14 14:17:35.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 05/20/2019 03:13:19 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2019 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 05/20/2019 03:13:19 AM EDT.