DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> General Discussion >> Has anyone noticed that...
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 51, (reverse)
AuthorThread
02/08/2019 04:38:30 PM · #1
Has anyone noticed that... the Average Vote by Commenters is gone?

Yipppeeee!

Feel free to comment now without anyone knowing your vote if you were the only commenter (which is sometimes the case these days).

Well done, Langdon!

Thank you!
02/08/2019 04:42:25 PM · #2
We took it away a couple of weeks ago, though I believe it remains on old challenge pictures.

But yes, we hope that encourages more commenting.
02/08/2019 04:43:56 PM · #3
It is still shown on the over-all results page for each challenge though.
02/08/2019 04:51:31 PM · #4
Originally posted by Janja:

It is still shown on the over-all results page for each challenge though.

We're working on that too.
02/08/2019 04:53:16 PM · #5
Great! It is really an improvement.
02/08/2019 07:46:32 PM · #6
I will miss it. :(
02/08/2019 10:08:15 PM · #7
me too.
02/09/2019 01:07:41 AM · #8
Very disappointed about this change, maybe it should have put to a vote? The person who advocated this the most is not currently active on DPC.

To me it was an important part of the scoring system and I don't believe I will make more comments because it is not there!
02/09/2019 02:17:20 AM · #9
Donít tell me somethingís changed, I thought this was a constantly constant appearance.
02/09/2019 03:32:40 AM · #10
I'll miss it too. When I get comments they usually come with above average scores, so that score usually made me feel a bit better about my low scoring photos.
02/09/2019 07:33:15 AM · #11
Originally posted by Janja:

It is still shown on the over-all results page for each challenge though.


I hope this statistic remains.

02/09/2019 09:34:29 AM · #12
Originally posted by posthumous:

I will miss it. :(

+1
02/09/2019 10:19:09 AM · #13
** Warning: This post has been hidden as it may content mature content. Click here to show the post.
02/09/2019 10:36:14 AM · #14
Originally posted by jagar:

Donít tell me somethingís changed, I thought this was a constantly constant appearance.

Hey!

That sh*t's for the other thread!

LOL!!!

02/09/2019 10:49:26 AM · #15


Originally posted by posthumous:

I will miss it. :(


Really!!! Damned if you do...dames if you donít...
02/09/2019 11:02:52 AM · #16
Originally posted by posthumous:

I will miss it. :(


Originally posted by Ja-9:

Really!!! Damned if you do...dames if you donít...


Not to be confused with a damsel in dis dress...
02/09/2019 12:38:29 PM · #17
The participant and non-participant average stats remain. Only the average for commenters is being removed, as the (often) extremely low number of comments compromises the anonymity of individual voters. And an "average" really has little meaning without a more significant number of data points than two or three.
02/09/2019 12:44:05 PM · #18
Originally posted by marnet:

Very disappointed about this change, maybe it should have put to a vote? The person who advocated this the most is not currently active on DPC.

To me it was an important part of the scoring system and I don't believe I will make more comments because it is not there!


Not quite sure who the "advocate" was (can't find the thread I remember where conversation of removing this feature took place), but I do remember making the following post (from this thread):

Originally posted by glad2badad:

Originally posted by tanguera:

<snip> ... I think it's the price we pay for anonymity.

When it comes to commenting with a score I think it may be the LACK of anonymity that is holding many back in the community here.

Used to be that odds were good if you commented on a photo, someone else would have also. This would, in most cases, hide the score that you gave. Now, if you're the lone comment (not uncommon) your score is visible under average per commenter.

Also, Tom - I think that when people have a great reaction to a photo, with a high score, they're likely to pop off a quick comment ("awesome", "my top pick", "beautiful", etc...) while those that may study it a bit more and find fault with the image are afraid or less likely to leave a comment that is less than positive.


For me personally, the statistic of "Average Commenter Vote" was holding me back from making comments. Most recently I voted in the Free Study and Handshake challenges and did NOT comment when I wanted to because of the lost anonymity of vote cast (there were at least 5 or 6 images I would have commented on). So ... pleased to see the change. Thanks Langdon! I'll be able to comment freely now. :-)
02/09/2019 01:16:46 PM · #19
Originally posted by NikonJeb:

Originally posted by posthumous:

I will miss it. :(


Originally posted by Ja-9:

Really!!! Damned if you do...dames if you donít...


Not to be confused with a damsel in dis dress...


Deep sigh
02/09/2019 01:44:06 PM · #20
Originally posted by Ja-9:

Originally posted by NikonJeb:

Originally posted by posthumous:

I will miss it. :(

Originally posted by Ja-9:

Really!!! Damned if you do...dames if you donít...

Not to be confused with a damsel in dis dress...

Deep sigh

Depp's eye? The one hidden by the patch?
02/09/2019 01:52:35 PM · #21
Originally posted by Bear_Music:

Originally posted by Ja-9:

Originally posted by NikonJeb:

Originally posted by posthumous:

I will miss it. :(

Originally posted by Ja-9:

Really!!! Damned if you do...dames if you donít...

Not to be confused with a damsel in dis dress...

Deep sigh

Depp's eye? The one hidden by the patch?


YOU know Iím just special - more so today!!! (Rolling my eyes!!)
02/09/2019 02:00:08 PM · #22
Originally posted by glad2badad:



For me personally, the statistic of "Average Commenter Vote" was holding me back from making comments. Most recently I voted in the Free Study and Handshake challenges and did NOT comment when I wanted to because of the lost anonymity of vote cast (there were at least 5 or 6 images I would have commented on). So ... pleased to see the change. Thanks Langdon! I'll be able to comment freely now. :-)


Exactly!

I was the most recent "advocate", asking to have it removed (for this exact reason). It was gone the next day, I think! Langdon rocks!

02/09/2019 04:03:13 PM · #23
This all seems so backwards to me. Because nobody is willing to leave comments you take the information away, and then people say they will now leave comments? What am I missing? From my view, if I leave a good comment and a good vote, Iím happy to share that information. If someone doesnít find my entry appealing and tells us me so in a comment, I expect their score will reflect their opinion and so be it.
02/09/2019 05:24:30 PM · #24
Originally posted by PennyStreet:

This all seems so backwards to me. Because nobody is willing to leave comments you take the information away, and then people say they will now leave comments? What am I missing? From my view, if I leave a good comment and a good vote, Iím happy to share that information. If someone doesnít find my entry appealing and tells us me so in a comment, I expect their score will reflect their opinion and so be it.

What information are you losing (that matters)? If you get MORE comments, then it seems like a better thing to me.

"What am I missing?" you ask - the part where if only one comment is left the score they left is also visible, which defeats the anonymity of voting.
02/09/2019 07:35:43 PM · #25
Originally posted by glad2badad:

Originally posted by PennyStreet:

This all seems so backwards to me. Because nobody is willing to leave comments you take the information away, and then people say they will now leave comments? What am I missing? From my view, if I leave a good comment and a good vote, Iím happy to share that information. If someone doesnít find my entry appealing and tells us me so in a comment, I expect their score will reflect their opinion and so be it.

What information are you losing (that matters)? If you get MORE comments, then it seems like a better thing to me.

"What am I missing?" you ask - the part where if only one comment is left the score they left is also visible, which defeats the anonymity of voting.


1. If there are going to be more comments, as people say, then anonymity would return so why take the statistic away. I, for one, find it interesting.
2. And anyway, why do we feel the need for anonymity with our comments if we are giving fair votes to begin with.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 12/15/2019 08:59:25 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2019 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 12/15/2019 08:59:25 AM EST.