DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Current Challenge >> Minimal editing question
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 8 of 8, (reverse)
AuthorThread
02/01/2019 10:45:09 PM · #1
Can the clarity slider in Lightroom be used for sharpening in the minimal editing rules?
02/02/2019 12:03:04 AM · #2
Originally posted by GolferDDS:

Can the clarity slider in Lightroom be used for sharpening in the minimal editing rules?

NO
03/11/2019 09:42:49 PM · #3
one related and one unrelated minimal editing question

1) is global structure change allowed, in combo with global sharpening?

2) is in-camera HDR allowed, e.g., the camera combines multiple exposures and saves as a single “flattened” image?
p.s. i know this was discussed back in 2017, but not sure if anything changed under the NEWEST minimal rule set

Message edited by author 2019-03-11 21:46:42.
03/11/2019 10:15:55 PM · #4
Originally posted by mefnj:

one related and one unrelated minimal editing question

1) is global structure change allowed, in combo with global sharpening?

2) is in-camera HDR allowed, e.g., the camera combines multiple exposures and saves as a single “flattened” image?
p.s. i know this was discussed back in 2017, but not sure if anything changed under the NEWEST minimal rule set


Dunno 'bout (1), but I believe that for (2), the answer will be "no." The Minimal rules refer to "from a single capture" and in-camera HDR requires multiple captures. I guess it depends on if SC defines "capture" as one image acquisition (I would) or one shutter button press (I would not).
03/12/2019 04:44:05 AM · #5
Originally posted by kirbic:

Originally posted by mefnj:

one related and one unrelated minimal editing question

1) is global structure change allowed, in combo with global sharpening?

2) is in-camera HDR allowed, e.g., the camera combines multiple exposures and saves as a single “flattened” image?
p.s. i know this was discussed back in 2017, but not sure if anything changed under the NEWEST minimal rule set


Dunno 'bout (1), but I believe that for (2), the answer will be "no." The Minimal rules refer to "from a single capture" and in-camera HDR requires multiple captures. I guess it depends on if SC defines "capture" as one image acquisition (I would) or one shutter button press (I would not).

I'd vote yes (if I had a vote), one shutter click, one exif file (regarding the HDR question). Things where you have to make choices after the capture, like in-camera cropping or other adjustments shouldn't be legal.
03/12/2019 11:12:26 AM · #6
Interestingly, most (if not all) in-camera HDR is done from a single exposure, in much the same way as we might combine several versions of the same frame in Photoshop. And as far as I know we have no way of telling this has been done, so that's not any different than adjusting an in-camera parameter for contrast/saturation/etc and should be acceptable.

Regarding "global structure change", that's a big fat NO :-)

Message edited by author 2019-03-12 11:15:45.
03/12/2019 01:25:30 PM · #7
Originally posted by Bear_Music:

Interestingly, most (if not all) in-camera HDR is done from a single exposure, in much the same way as we might combine several versions of the same frame in Photoshop. And as far as I know we have no way of telling this has been done, so that's not any different than adjusting an in-camera parameter for contrast/saturation/etc and should be acceptable.

Regarding "global structure change", that's a big fat NO :-)


thanks for the firm clear answer to #1. i’ll just sit on #2 for a bit... i want to stay in the spirit of the Minimal rules...
03/12/2019 06:15:17 PM · #8
Originally posted by Bear_Music:

Interestingly, most (if not all) in-camera HDR is done from a single exposure...


I thought I had read differently regarding Canon in-camera HDR, and it turns out I was not mistaken. The implementation on Canon DSLRs does use separate exposures, three to be exact. The rendered output is always a JPEG file, though the "originals" can be either RAW or JPEG.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 11/13/2019 05:19:03 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2019 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 11/13/2019 05:19:03 AM EST.