DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Challenge Outtakes >> Colorful Objects (DPL4 WK4) Outtakes
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 42, (reverse)
AuthorThread
08/06/2018 12:00:17 AM · #1
Post your outtakes from the Colorful Objects (DPL4 WK4) challenge here.
08/06/2018 01:32:12 AM · #2
Entry:
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/2000-2999/2698/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1222233.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/2000-2999/2698/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1222233.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

Well since I spent a small fortune to get into the Chihuly Garden of Glass just to get something for this challenge, I might as well share some of the other pics I considered entering. Enjoy.

These first three were outside the exhibit and free, so a pox on anyone who says I should have entered one of these.
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/25000-29999/28742/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1221805.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/25000-29999/28742/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1221805.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/25000-29999/28742/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1221806.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/25000-29999/28742/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1221806.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/25000-29999/28742/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1221807.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/25000-29999/28742/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1221807.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

Inside the exhibit:
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/25000-29999/28742/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1221808.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/25000-29999/28742/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1221808.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/25000-29999/28742/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1221809.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/25000-29999/28742/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1221809.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/25000-29999/28742/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1221810.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/25000-29999/28742/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1221810.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/25000-29999/28742/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1221812.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/25000-29999/28742/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1221812.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/25000-29999/28742/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1221813.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/25000-29999/28742/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1221813.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/25000-29999/28742/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1221814.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/25000-29999/28742/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1221814.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/25000-29999/28742/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1221815.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/25000-29999/28742/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1221815.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/25000-29999/28742/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1221817.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/25000-29999/28742/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1221817.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/25000-29999/28742/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1221818.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/25000-29999/28742/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1221818.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

Alternate Edit of the one I entered:
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/25000-29999/28742/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1222174.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/25000-29999/28742/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1222174.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
08/06/2018 02:36:26 AM · #3
What a fabulous place!!! You were spoiled for choice. I gave you 10 so whatever else you chose couldn't have topped that. However, my favourite (not shown here till following through) would be number 4, probably a cropped version of number 4 in your line. There are several other 10s in there!
08/06/2018 02:54:39 AM · #4
Originally posted by jomari:

What a fabulous place!!! You were spoiled for choice. I gave you 10 so whatever else you chose couldn't have topped that. However, my favourite (not shown here till following through) would be number 4, probably a cropped version of number 4 in your line. There are several other 10s in there!

You mean like this? It was in the batch, just forgot to include in the post. It was one of my final three choices.
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/25000-29999/28742/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1221811.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/25000-29999/28742/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1221811.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

Thanks for the nice feedback and for the 10. I just wish one of the nine 2, 3 and 4 voters would chime in and let me know why they thought so little of it. Could be "it's just a photo of someone else's artwork" - I can respect that.
08/06/2018 04:34:03 AM · #5
I gave you a 10 for your entry, but I would have done the same with most of your outtakes! I love glass and I am so jealous of anyone who can go see Chihuly's work. *wistful sigh*
08/06/2018 08:27:33 AM · #6
Weíre lucky in Florida too there is a permanent display of Chihulyís work...I didnít go for this challenge...but itís quite impressive...not nearly as many pieces but Iíve visited several of his traveling displays around the country...well worth the visit for sure!!!
08/06/2018 11:42:00 AM · #7
I'm going to toss this out here because my team spent an inordinate amount of time discussing the difference between what would and would not be considered a scene, and two of us wound up abandoning an image we preferred for another (which seems to have worked out, but I digress).

Here is my image: ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/2000-2999/2698/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1222189.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/2000-2999/2698/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1222189.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

Here is the image I decided not to enter...
The original crop: ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/155000-159999/156466/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1222043.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/155000-159999/156466/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1222043.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
And the original with the trees removed: ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/155000-159999/156466/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1222046.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/155000-159999/156466/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1222046.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

In the flurry of the discussion I decided that the original crop that included the trees might still be considered a scene, and that the removal of those trees may have crossed the line of what you can and cannot do in the removal of objects and earn a DQ (I would have argued that without the tree tops you would go to the horizon but flat earthers might say otherwise :-) ).

So my question in posting this is one of whether or not either would have been a "scene" to you, and to the SC watching whether or not the removal of the trees would have violated editing rules.
08/06/2018 12:17:33 PM · #8
The nitpickers will always find something and neglect the visual impact of the overall image.

A quick explanation of the challenge would be: When the colorful objects are put in a context creating a story they become part of a scene.
So, if the image that got the blue would have had a person in it it would have turned from object to a scene ...hmmm...and then we get into confusion by looking at the other ribbons where the colorful objects do something (pencils leave space for an eye or peppers fall into a basin, pencils unzip themselves, spaghettis unfold from a fork... etc)

I think that the point of the challenge was to stay away from landscapes with brilliant skies or red sunsets.

But I believe that we don't need a bunch of lawyers to figure out if we broke any fine line of the description of a challenge and take good, meaningful photos.

08/06/2018 12:34:37 PM · #9
Originally posted by JakeKurdsjuk:

... to the SC watching whether or not the removal of the trees would have violated editing rules.

No problem -- you can remove "anything" by cropping as long as a) cropping is allowed for the challenge, and b) the remaining image is at least 160 x 160 pixels or larger.

You can also remove (clone out) almost anything within the frame as long as it is replaced by what would have been visible had the object not existed at the time you actuated the shutter.
08/06/2018 02:24:17 PM · #10
Originally posted by mariuca:

The nitpickers will always find something and neglect the visual impact of the overall image.

A quick explanation of the challenge would be: When the colorful objects are put in a context creating a story they become part of a scene.
So, if the image that got the blue would have had a person in it it would have turned from object to a scene ...hmmm...and then we get into confusion by looking at the other ribbons where the colorful objects do something (pencils leave space for an eye or peppers fall into a basin, pencils unzip themselves, spaghettis unfold from a fork... etc)

I think that the point of the challenge was to stay away from landscapes with brilliant skies or red sunsets.

But I believe that we don't need a bunch of lawyers to figure out if we broke any fine line of the description of a challenge and take good, meaningful photos.


I was curious whether people thought that having few colors wasn't colorful enough or whether it was a scene, or whether it just was a blah photo. It's actually one of my favorite butterfly shots that I've managed to nab. So I'm curious whether people thought my photo was boring or didn't meet the challenge.

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/2000-2999/2698/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1221977.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/2000-2999/2698/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1221977.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
08/06/2018 02:25:20 PM · #11
I really had a hard time deciding with this one, some of my teammates like this one because of the splash
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/120000-124999/121949/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1221424.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/120000-124999/121949/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1221424.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

Some of us like my entry because of the colors reflecting on the water, one of those times you wish you could combine two shots.

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/2000-2999/2698/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1221477.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/2000-2999/2698/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1221477.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
08/06/2018 02:32:01 PM · #12
I like the second one much better, Jenn
08/06/2018 02:58:55 PM · #13
Originally posted by vawendy:

So I'm curious whether people thought my photo was boring or didn't meet the challenge.
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/2000-2999/2698/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1221977.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/2000-2999/2698/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1221977.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

My take: Definitely met the challenge. Not a blah photo, but in relation to all the other color entries it just didn't rise to the top. I gave it a 6.
08/06/2018 03:00:12 PM · #14
Jenn, you submitted the better of the two, IMO.
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/2000-2999/2698/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1221477.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/2000-2999/2698/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1221477.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
08/06/2018 03:02:59 PM · #15
Originally posted by Art Roflmao:

Originally posted by vawendy:

So I'm curious whether people thought my photo was boring or didn't meet the challenge.
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/2000-2999/2698/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1221977.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/2000-2999/2698/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1221977.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

My take: Definitely met the challenge. Not a blah photo, but in relation to all the other color entries it just didn't rise to the top. I gave it a 6.


Thanks -- That helps a lot. :)

Sometimes you just get rather attached to something.
08/06/2018 03:24:25 PM · #16
Originally posted by vawendy:



I was curious whether people thought that having few colors wasn't colorful enough or whether it was a scene, or whether it just was a blah photo. It's actually one of my favorite butterfly shots that I've managed to nab. So I'm curious whether people thought my photo was boring or didn't meet the challenge.

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/2000-2999/2698/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1221977.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/2000-2999/2698/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1221977.jpg', '/') + 1) . ' [/quote]

I gave it a 6. It is a really pretty shot, fine and crisp, sharp and very colorful, hard to capture, lovely PP work. But for some reason, for me, it didn't grab me in any emotional way what-so ever. But it is a great photo.
08/06/2018 03:31:48 PM · #17
I shot and processed my entry literally right before rollover, and I did not have time to look carefully at all takes I did. So only afterwards I looked at this crop and cursed myself because I thought it had a stronger impact... or maybe not... what do you think?
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/30000-34999/30214/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1222451.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/30000-34999/30214/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1222451.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
The original entry
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/2000-2999/2698/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1222413.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/2000-2999/2698/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1222413.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

Message edited by author 2018-08-06 15:32:26.
08/06/2018 03:35:29 PM · #18
Originally posted by Art Roflmao:

Originally posted by vawendy:

So I'm curious whether people thought my photo was boring or didn't meet the challenge.
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/2000-2999/2698/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1221977.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/2000-2999/2698/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1221977.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

My take: Definitely met the challenge. Not a blah photo, but in relation to all the other color entries it just didn't rise to the top. I gave it a 6.


I gave it a 6 as well, it met the challenge, but since it was just one color others got a higher score for me. I would have given it a higher score in a different challenge. So in a way I guess it was a little DNMC
08/06/2018 03:43:38 PM · #19
Originally posted by LevT:

I shot and processed my entry literally right before rollover, and I did not have time to look carefully at all takes I did. So only afterwards I looked at this crop and cursed myself because I thought it had a stronger impact... or maybe not... what do you think?
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/30000-34999/30214/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1222451.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/30000-34999/30214/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1222451.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
The original entry
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/2000-2999/2698/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1222413.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/2000-2999/2698/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1222413.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

It all depends on how people would interpret/prioritize the challenge -- if they take "shoot a colorful object" to be "take a catalog/product shot of something colorful" then I think your entry fits the challenge better, while your alternate might be considered "better art" ...
08/06/2018 03:57:50 PM · #20
Cool! Thanks guys! That does help.
08/06/2018 03:59:45 PM · #21
actually, Lev, I thought I'd like the closer crop better, but I don't. The original entry is clean and crisp and gives more of a sense of scale and how silly small the marble is in comparison. In the thumbnails, the close crop is better. In reality, the original goes over much much better.

That's why I wish you couldn't vote on cell phones. So many times you just miss the details that make the shot.
08/06/2018 04:13:55 PM · #22
Thank you guys! For me, my entry was too much like a "catalog shot", as ' . substr('https://www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/user_id/1031.gif', strrpos('https://www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/user_id/1031.gif', '/') + 1) . ' GeneralE has said, and I usually detest this look. However, Wendy, you may be right, and it indeed might have worked better for the challenge, score-wise.
08/06/2018 04:40:35 PM · #23
Originally posted by LevT:

Thank you guys! For me, my entry was too much like a "catalog shot", as ' . substr('https://www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/user_id/1031.gif', strrpos('https://www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/user_id/1031.gif', '/') + 1) . ' GeneralE has said, and I usually detest this look. However, Wendy, you may be right, and it indeed might have worked better for the challenge, score-wise.


It's a catalog shot without the marble. The marble turned it into something interesting/fun/playful for me. Perhaps because my mind would have just thought of the slinky. The marble brought up a whole bunch of questions and intrigued me.
08/06/2018 05:09:32 PM · #24
Originally posted by LevT:

I shot and processed my entry literally right before rollover, and I did not have time to look carefully at all takes I did. So only afterwards I looked at this crop and cursed myself because I thought it had a stronger impact... or maybe not... what do you think?
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/30000-34999/30214/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1222451.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/30000-34999/30214/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1222451.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
The original entry
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/2000-2999/2698/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1222413.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/2000-2999/2698/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1222413.jpg', '/') + 1) . '


The drop in front of the slinky didn't add anything to the photo for me, I gave it a 6.
08/06/2018 05:11:47 PM · #25
Originally posted by JakeKurdsjuk:

I'm going to toss this out here because my team spent an inordinate amount of time discussing the difference between what would and would not be considered a scene, and two of us wound up abandoning an image we preferred for another (which seems to have worked out, but I digress).

Here is my image: ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/2000-2999/2698/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1222189.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/2000-2999/2698/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1222189.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

Here is the image I decided not to enter...
The original crop: ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/155000-159999/156466/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1222043.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/155000-159999/156466/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1222043.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
And the original with the trees removed: ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/155000-159999/156466/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1222046.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/155000-159999/156466/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1222046.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

In the flurry of the discussion I decided that the original crop that included the trees might still be considered a scene, and that the removal of those trees may have crossed the line of what you can and cannot do in the removal of objects and earn a DQ (I would have argued that without the tree tops you would go to the horizon but flat earthers might say otherwise :-) ).

So my question in posting this is one of whether or not either would have been a "scene" to you, and to the SC watching whether or not the removal of the trees would have violated editing rules.


To me it would not be a scene, a scene would be a sunset or colorful trees, or a field of flowers. This would have clearly been object. I think removing the trees would have been borderline but I doubt it would get a DQ with the more liberal rules.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 12/08/2019 05:23:41 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2019 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 12/08/2019 05:23:41 PM EST.