DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Current Challenge >> Candid - jjbeguin
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 23 of 23, (reverse)
AuthorThread
07/08/2018 01:27:21 PM · #1
The current challenge reminds me of this masterpiece from the early days of DPC.

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_279671.jpg

brought to us by 21.gif jjbeguin
07/08/2018 02:27:52 PM · #2
I remember that quite well and have always admired Jean-Jacques work.

Message edited by author 2018-07-08 14:28:26.
07/08/2018 02:48:08 PM · #3
Holy crap, that's an awesome photo! And holy crap, it wouldn't do well now because it's not perfectly processed.
07/08/2018 03:21:05 PM · #4
Originally posted by vawendy:

Holy crap, that's an awesome photo! And holy crap, it wouldn't do well now because it's not perfectly processed.

It is SO perfectly processed! That's great, old-school B/W work right there. Part of why it won, I'm sure. Easily one of the top-10 images posted at DPC in all these years, arguably the best. IMO of course...
07/08/2018 03:42:04 PM · #5
I gave it a 9. The only reason it did not get a 10 is, I did not shoot it. ;-P

I agree that it is arguably the best on DPC.
07/08/2018 03:51:29 PM · #6
Now, I really miss the good ol' days.
07/08/2018 04:15:46 PM · #7
Originally posted by Bear_Music:

Originally posted by vawendy:

Holy crap, that's an awesome photo! And holy crap, it wouldn't do well now because it's not perfectly processed.

It is SO perfectly processed! That's great, old-school B/W work right there. Part of why it won, I'm sure. Easily one of the top-10 images posted at DPC in all these years, arguably the best. IMO of course...


I like the processing -- but don't you agree that people these days would see it as underexposed? It seems like we're getting too picky on the processing end.
07/08/2018 04:54:23 PM · #8
Originally posted by vawendy:

Originally posted by Bear_Music:

Originally posted by vawendy:

Holy crap, that's an awesome photo! And holy crap, it wouldn't do well now because it's not perfectly processed.

It is SO perfectly processed! That's great, old-school B/W work right there. Part of why it won, I'm sure. Easily one of the top-10 images posted at DPC in all these years, arguably the best. IMO of course...


I like the processing -- but don't you agree that people these days would see it as underexposed? It seems like we're getting too picky on the processing end.


Absolutely Wendy. Not necessarily too picky in pp but sort of postcard clarity.
07/08/2018 05:23:01 PM · #9
Originally posted by vawendy:

I like the processing -- but don't you agree that people these days would see it as underexposed? It seems like we're getting too picky on the processing end.

You may be right, that it would do less well nowadays, that the voters might want more structure in the shadows, a greater range of tones, etc etc. I was just reacting to what you SAID:

Originally posted by vawendy:

And holy crap, it wouldn't do well now because it's not perfectly processed.

If you meant to say "because the voters would think the processing was too muddy/murky" then I'll give you a pass on that :-)
07/08/2018 05:36:29 PM · #10
he has a website

"Perfect" processing is totally subjective. And, IMO the style of photography adds a dimension to the subjectivity.

He does wonderful work.
07/08/2018 05:49:20 PM · #11
And this is why I still hang out here at DPC.... where else can you see amazing images and then be a fly on the wall as other photographer's discuss said photo. I have seen a few of jjbeguin's images over the years but never saw this one.

What amazes me besides the fabulous street photography and the terrific editing is that score! Almost an 8! I know the scores don't really matter but to me it highlights how voting has changed over the years.
07/08/2018 06:32:11 PM · #12
Originally posted by Catherine_B:

And this is why I still hang out here at DPC.... where else can you see amazing images and then be a fly on the wall as other photographer's discuss said photo. I have seen a few of jjbeguin's images over the years but never saw this one.

What amazes me besides the fabulous street photography and the terrific editing is that score! Almost an 8! I know the scores don't really matter but to me it highlights how voting has changed over the years.


Voting has definitely changed over the years -- but then again, we've changed and grown over the years. I was a lot more easily impressed 9 years ago than I am now. I still try to keep my average about the same as it was, but there's far less 8s 9s and 10s, because now I know what those should really look like. Because there are/have been some incredible photographers on this site that has made it difficult to score anymore. Just looking at the front page of Jean-Jacques's website proves that. It makes me wonder why I even try portraits -- yet I've gotten so much better than I used to be. But I still have so incredibly far to go.

That's the other thing that's good about this site. It makes you realize just how incredible things can be.
07/08/2018 08:04:00 PM · #13
And it keeps us humble.... one vote of an 8 is worth 100 thumbs up or likes on social media.....

Every time I think wow I'm getting better at this photography thing and I enter challenges, I get reminded I'm still average. This is probably a good thing.
07/08/2018 08:06:27 PM · #14
Originally posted by Catherine_B:

And it keeps us humble.... one vote of an 8 is worth 100 thumbs up or likes on social media.....

Every time I think wow I'm getting better at this photography thing and I enter challenges, I get reminded I'm still average. This is probably a good thing.


Agreed!!
07/09/2018 05:54:13 AM · #15
Best comment I ever got was that my image reminded someone of his work
07/09/2018 06:51:33 AM · #16
you can feel his spontaneity and sheer openness to the moment in any one of his photos. In the same way that a good haiku can, his images bypass the filter of me and go directly to what is. Letís be having this.
07/09/2018 12:55:52 PM · #17
Originally posted by jagar:

you can feel his spontaneity and sheer openness to the moment in any one of his photos. In the same way that a good haiku can, his images bypass the filter of me and go directly to what is. Letís be having this.

Would you please stop being so f*cking magnificent???

Like your photography isn't enough in its own right, you have to put out this masterful encapsulation of what is JJ Beguin.

Wish I'd said that....

Just shut the hell up, willya John?

8>)
07/09/2018 02:35:51 PM · #18
One more, because I just can't stop...

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_524272.jpg
07/09/2018 03:01:30 PM · #19
One more because, why not?
Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_99147.jpg
I have an unhealthy level of love for this image.
07/09/2018 03:19:44 PM · #20
Originally posted by mpeters:

One more, because I just can't stop...

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_524272.jpg
someone should tell him that this shot would no longer be DQ'd under Standard.
07/09/2018 03:24:47 PM · #21
He probably wouldn't care... But it was a shame to see it DQ'd.

07/09/2018 05:23:25 PM · #22
I always loved this one because of his story of it. What a hoot! An accidental 8+! Gotta love that on so many levels.

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_146420.jpg
07/12/2018 12:09:39 PM · #23
JJ is and always was a legend!
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 09/21/2018 11:34:57 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2018 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 09/21/2018 11:34:57 PM EDT.