DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Current Challenge >> ipad
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 21 of 21, (reverse)
AuthorThread
05/30/2018 08:29:50 AM · #1
hello, is it possible to enter a challenge using only an ipad ?

also is it ok to use snapseed to process ?

thank you so much
05/30/2018 12:09:05 PM · #2
You can definitely take a photo on your iPad and enter it assuming your iPad is connected to the internet. Same principle as entering on a mobile phone.

I have used Snapseed on a few occasions so I believe it will be fine under Standard Editing unless Snapseed does anything too crazy.

SC can give you a more formal answer to the Snapseed question.
05/30/2018 03:05:28 PM · #3
Can be tricky with the file names but I now export from Snapseed and the then save from Photos to Files, I then upload from there. Other routes generate strange file names that DPC doesn’t like.
05/30/2018 03:09:52 PM · #4
Originally posted by Paul:

Can be tricky with the file names but I now export from Snapseed and the then save from Photos to Files, I then upload from there. Other routes generate strange file names that DPC doesn’t like.

And of course, make sure Snapseed edits a COPY of your file, not the original ...
05/30/2018 05:09:10 PM · #5
Thanks very much to all.
06/02/2018 08:38:11 PM · #6
i went through this a year or two ago. iPad apparently does not save exif data correctly, so i had a hard time being able to supply photos taken with my ipad that would pass DPC validation.

maybe something has changed, but use caution.

it would be great if someone has a proven protocol to produce iPad photos that have passed validation.

-mark
06/03/2018 05:33:39 AM · #7
21.gif mefnj The wonderful man that is 100393.gif Paul has told me the correct method and it works like a dream, it is this :

First, from Snapseed - export a copy (Save - export a copy).

It’s now available in Photos. Open it there (it’ll be the last image).

From photos, use the export icon (bottom left - a square with an arrow coming out from it) and choose ‘save to files’ - it’s on the second row (grey icons) - you’ll need to scroll to the right to find that icon.

Select ‘on my iPhone’ - I normally save it to the Keynote directory if you have that installed, but anywhere you can save it should be fine.

It’s now somewhere, with a file name, that’s uploadable to DPC.

Now, from DPC, when you go to upload, use the ‘browse’ option and you can navigate to wherever you put the image. DPC will resize and compress your file.

All this to get a file name that works!

Sounds like a pain but pretty quick to get used to.

I haven’t found another way to do it.

Also, it only seems to be since ‘files’ became a feature of iOS that Photos created incompatible file names.
06/03/2018 10:34:51 AM · #8
I’m not sure I’ve had an iPhone ribboner since iOS messed with the file names.

Although this process gets you the image into DPC - if you need to upload proof, it may need an email to a full-fat device.
06/03/2018 02:49:45 PM · #9
Originally posted by Tiny:

21.gif mefnj The wonderful man that is 100393.gif Paul has told me the correct method and it works like a dream, it is this :

First, from Snapseed - export a copy (Save - export a copy).

It’s now available in Photos. Open it there (it’ll be the last image).

From photos, use the export icon (bottom left - a square with an arrow coming out from it) and choose ‘save to files’ - it’s on the second row (grey icons) - you’ll need to scroll to the right to find that icon.

Select ‘on my iPhone’ - I normally save it to the Keynote directory if you have that installed, but anywhere you can save it should be fine.

It’s now somewhere, with a file name, that’s uploadable to DPC.

Now, from DPC, when you go to upload, use the ‘browse’ option and you can navigate to wherever you put the image. DPC will resize and compress your file.

All this to get a file name that works!

Sounds like a pain but pretty quick to get used to.

I haven’t found another way to do it.

Also, it only seems to be since ‘files’ became a feature of iOS that Photos created incompatible file names.


thanks for the steo by step.

if the actual photo was taken with an iPad, does this process allow that iPad photo to pass DPC validation? that is where i ran into problems. i tried several times with a very patient Bear Music to upload an iPad original that had the correct EXIF, but to no avail.

for that reason, i haven't used my iPad camera for DPC entries in a long time.

-Mark
06/03/2018 05:15:37 PM · #10
I was assuming it was ok but am not so sure now you say the problems you had ?

Anyone know for sure ?
06/04/2018 05:21:08 PM · #11
21.gif mefnj I have just had an iPad image confirmed as containing EXIF by SC, so all good.

Message edited by Bear_Music - parsed link.
06/04/2018 06:31:49 PM · #12
Originally posted by Tiny:

21.gif mefnj I have just had an iPad image confirmed as containing EXIF by SC, so all good.

Yup, confirmed by me :-) That's not to say ALL images from iPads will pass muster but evidently an image handled in the specific manner outlined here will...
06/04/2018 07:56:00 PM · #13
Originally posted by Tiny:

21.gif mefnj I have just had an iPad image confirmed as containing EXIF by SC, so all good.


i don't seem to have an export to file or save to file option from the Photo app. what iOS version are you running?

also, you instructions were for iPad, correct? you mentioned iPhone a few times.
06/05/2018 03:51:27 AM · #14
Yes I only have Ipad . The iphone bits were copied from Pauls email.

Version 11.3.1
06/05/2018 04:02:10 AM · #15
Have just looked on my wifes ipad and you are right there is no "save to files"

hers is version 10.3.3
06/05/2018 09:09:02 AM · #16
Originally posted by Tiny:

Have just looked on my wifes ipad and you are right there is no "save to files"

hers is version 10.3.3


and i'm still at iOS 10.2 ... guess i have another item on my weekend To Do list ;-)

thanks!
-mark
06/06/2018 01:56:14 PM · #17
I believe that if you are on a version that is pre-‘files’, you can upload directly from Photos.
06/06/2018 03:09:40 PM · #18
Originally posted by Paul:

I believe that if you are on a version that is pre-‘files’, you can upload directly from Photos.


that's what i tried previously. works fine with raw files of photos taken with my actual camera that have been imported to my iPad, and also with photos taken with my Android phone that i route through DropBox to get onto my iPad.

however, photos captured directly with my iPad never had the correct EXIF info for validation.

i think the new iOS starts to use the new Apple image format, so maybe they also tweaked the way the iPad stores photo info so it has the relevant EXIF ??

-m
06/06/2018 06:23:15 PM · #19
Just tried uploading an original file from the iPhone for the purposes of proof (it'll be the same for iPad). It worked fine, directly from the photo gallery (odd file name included), so no worries.
06/06/2018 10:31:06 PM · #20
Originally posted by Paul:

Just tried uploading an original file from the iPhone for the purposes of proof (it'll be the same for iPad). It worked fine, directly from the photo gallery (odd file name included), so no worries.


ok... keep us posted if it passes validation.

Message edited by author 2018-06-06 22:31:23.
06/06/2018 11:27:46 PM · #21
I've entered a shot edited on a tablet with Snapseed. My work laptop has a pathetic screen that doesn't show subtleties, so the tablet actually worked better.
Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1206110.jpg
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 09/24/2018 03:22:02 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2018 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 09/24/2018 03:22:02 PM EDT.