DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Challenge Results >> Post-Challenge Volunteers
Pages:  
Showing posts 51 - 75 of 91, (reverse)
AuthorThread
11/03/2016 11:18:14 AM · #51
One of my commenters asked if their critique was too harsh.....

GOOD GRIEF, NO!!!!

First, this person is someone whose input I value greatly, praise or critique.

Second, to me, there is *NO* too harsh, personal, critical, or wrong input. The whole purpose for this photog is to have insight into what others see in our imagery.

It was very enlightening to hear that what I thought were horrendous distractions didn't seem to bother others in the slightest.

I am totally loving this!
11/03/2016 11:20:44 AM · #52
Originally posted by flaherma:

I have to agree with ' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21_F.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21_F.gif', '/') + 1) . ' pixelpig, didn't see what you saw for the distraction Jeb. It was a busy photo so could have been any number of things.

Thanks!

I guess the whole thing was a distraction judging from the score! LOL!!!

It's weird how we view our own images.
11/03/2016 11:48:49 AM · #53
Originally posted by NikonJeb:

Originally posted by flaherma:

I have to agree with ' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21_F.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21_F.gif', '/') + 1) . ' pixelpig, didn't see what you saw for the distraction Jeb. It was a busy photo so could have been any number of things.

Thanks!

I guess the whole thing was a distraction judging from the score! LOL!!!

It's weird how we view our own images.


Yes, it is. We are our own most demannding critic. It can be a shock to discover what others see, that's why comments are so interesting. You have 3 interesting comments more than you had before.

Now, you could post one...

Message edited by author 2016-11-03 11:58:35.
11/03/2016 12:21:38 PM · #54
i'm open to any and all comments, and i've never felt "triggered" or offended. and i mark almost every one as helpful

maybe there needs to be a disclaimer on the photo upload page that all comments (excluding obscenities) are allowed, and maybe as someone else suggested, have a click box that enables or disable comments on a given entry (default to allow comments, so the person has to opt out of comments)

put me on the OK to comment list!
11/03/2016 02:24:04 PM · #55
Originally posted by mefnj:

i'm open to any and all comments, and i've never felt "triggered" or offended. and i mark almost every one as helpful

maybe there needs to be a disclaimer on the photo upload page that all comments (excluding obscenities) are allowed, and maybe as someone else suggested, have a click box that enables or disable comments on a given entry (default to allow comments, so the person has to opt out of comments)

put me on the OK to comment list!


Been discussed ad nauseum, and it's currently technically not doable.

We should just have a list of people who do NOT want comments ;)
11/03/2016 02:49:56 PM · #56
I reckon we just comment full stop, it shouldn't matter if the photo is in voting or not, I also think that we'd be doing this site a big favour if we comment honestly and in accordance with how we feel. I am guilty of going through a challenge and commenting on the ones I feel in connected to, this won't be happening anymore, i will be also be commenting on the ones that I feel are terrible, I will have to comment a lot lot more but so be it.
11/03/2016 03:05:51 PM · #57
Originally posted by jagar:

I reckon we just comment full stop, it shouldn't matter if the photo is in voting or not, I also think that we'd be doing this site a big favour if we comment honestly and in accordance with how we feel.

Of course, and suggesting this thread (in the other thread) was partly an attempt to give people a kick in the a** help encourage people to do so ... and apparently it's working. :-)
11/03/2016 04:22:46 PM · #58
Originally posted by pixelpig:

Now, you could post one...

Busted....outed....

Yes, I'm a slacker.

I promise to comment later after work!
11/03/2016 05:27:45 PM · #59
Originally posted by pixelpig:

Commented.

I'll move this forward in the thread since there are a few more comments.

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/2000-2999/2367/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1189406.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/2000-2999/2367/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1189406.jpg', '/') + 1) . '.
11/03/2016 08:57:47 PM · #60
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/2000-2999/2355/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1188203.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/2000-2999/2355/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1188203.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

I thought this would at least make the top 10. I thought it was clearly one of my better extended editing photos. I could be wrong though!

It may of reached the top 10 if I didn't get three two's I would love to hear from those people who thought my photo was worth two, or even under five. If you give me a very clear explanation that is fine.

Pretty sure I won't hear from them but!

Message edited by author 2016-11-03 20:59:44.
11/03/2016 09:15:12 PM · #61
Originally posted by Neat:

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/2000-2999/2355/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1188203.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/2000-2999/2355/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1188203.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

I thought this would at least make the top 10. I thought it was clearly one of my better extended editing photos. I could be wrong though!

It may of reached the top 10 if I didn't get three two's I would love to hear from those people who thought my photo was worth two, or even under five. If you give me a very clear explanation that is fine.

Pretty sure I won't hear from them but!


You probably won't :) but . . .
though I gave it a 6, I can see how others might have scored it much lower - horizon is not close to straight, it's very grainy, there's no definition in the shadows, etc. Lots of people value one or more of those highly and there's nothing wrong with that.

Mainly I'm responding because I thought this thread was supposed to be where people critiqued others' work - since we can all ask for the kind of critique you are asking for by starting a unique thread on our entry. I may be wrong, but I'd like to see this clarified early on.

(And you know this comment is well-intentioned and friendly, Anita :) )
11/03/2016 10:18:49 PM · #62
Originally posted by nam:

Mainly I'm responding because I thought this thread was supposed to be where people critiqued others' work - since we can all ask for the kind of critique you are asking for by starting a unique thread on our entry. I may be wrong, but I'd like to see this clarified early on.

(And you know this comment is well-intentioned and friendly, Anita :) )

Yes, this would be better put in the Individual Photo section ...

That said, I find the horizon "slanted" because the person's standing on a hill, and the grainy high-contrast editing perfectly suits the subject matter. I didn't vote but would probably have given it a 7 or 8 ...
11/03/2016 10:29:36 PM · #63
Originally posted by nam:

Originally posted by Neat:

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/2000-2999/2355/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1188203.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/2000-2999/2355/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1188203.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

I thought this would at least make the top 10. I thought it was clearly one of my better extended editing photos. I could be wrong though!

It may of reached the top 10 if I didn't get three two's I would love to hear from those people who thought my photo was worth two, or even under five. If you give me a very clear explanation that is fine.

Pretty sure I won't hear from them but!


You probably won't :) but . . .
though I gave it a 6, I can see how others might have scored it much lower - horizon is not close to straight, it's very grainy, there's no definition in the shadows, etc. Lots of people value one or more of those highly and there's nothing wrong with that.

Mainly I'm responding because I thought this thread was supposed to be where people critiqued others' work - since we can all ask for the kind of critique you are asking for by starting a unique thread on our entry. I may be wrong, but I'd like to see this clarified early on.

(And you know this comment is well-intentioned and friendly, Anita :) )


Makes me wonder how many other people think I didn't straighten the horizon. It's clearly a hill :-) I was shooting from below.

But thanks anyway.

Btw where is this other thread that you're talking about? Are we meant to post photos somewhere else?
11/03/2016 10:32:29 PM · #64
Originally posted by Neat:

. . .
Btw where is this other thread that you're talking about? Are we meant to post photos somewhere else?


I just thought that if we wanted critiques on an image, submitted (post-challenge) or otherwise, we were to start a thread asking for those critiques. I was just asking for clarification as to the intent of this particular "sign-up" thread. It's confusing to me - not your problem, Anita :)

ETCorrect spelling (sigh to sign)

Message edited by author 2016-11-03 23:37:41.
11/03/2016 11:12:42 PM · #65
' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21_F.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21_F.gif', '/') + 1) . ' crik
11/03/2016 11:31:46 PM · #66
This is a thread for commenters.

If you're willing to have any of your challenge entries commented on, put your name in. I'll maintain the list.

Anyone who wants to comment on one of your challenge entries can post the image to this thread. Others can read the comments & maybe feel encouraged to add their own comments.

For the purpose of maintaining everyone's numbers, comments should be posted to the image (not this thread).

This thread is *not* intended for photographers seeking an explanation from voters regarding their low scores on a given photo. If you don't want to wait for a commenter to choose your photo at random, it's always been encouraged to start a thread asking for comments.

Maybe we should start a thread for photographers who want an explanation of low scores. Posting your photo to that thread would mean you are ready to read anything a voter may have to say regarding their score. But this is not that thread.

Message edited by author 2016-11-04 08:14:47.
11/03/2016 11:36:32 PM · #67
oops - wrong place to edit

Message edited by author 2016-11-03 23:37:19.
11/04/2016 07:32:58 AM · #68
Originally posted by pixelpig:

For the purpose of maintaining everyone's numbers, comments should be posted to the image (not this thread).

May I suggest that somehow, maybe in a whole new thread, that we have follow-up of this lovely process?

I know I was thrilled to have my image worked with, and I know some of it had to do with it having been opened up for discussion in the thread. I think if we put it up that we're looking at a specific image then folks could tag team with their input and the photog gets multiple perspectives in a short time period.

Perhaps when someone wants an image "done" or wants to work with someone's image, we could just quick put it up here to indicate that it's "on the blocks" and to go to the discussion thread for this process?

We could call it the volunteer discussion thread?
11/04/2016 08:17:41 AM · #69
Okay.....my suggestion is: Post a thumb of the image you want to discuss & comment on, and just hit quote on the post to pick up the link to: The Post-Challenge Volunteer Image Discussion Thread
11/04/2016 08:18:43 AM · #70
This one!

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/2000-2999/2367/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1189536.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/2000-2999/2367/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1189536.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

The Post-Challenge Volunteer Image Discussion Thread

Message edited by author 2016-11-04 08:18:58.
11/04/2016 10:12:49 AM · #71
It's all fine but I will have to go back to the list of volunteers constantly to know who is on. Can we add the list to the new thread please?
11/04/2016 10:14:39 AM · #72
Of course.
11/04/2016 12:28:40 PM · #73
I'm interested in getting comments after a challenge ' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', '/') + 1) . ' posthumous
11/04/2016 12:30:44 PM · #74
Wouldn't we want to have comments on photos appear on the photo page itself, rather than in any thread elsewhere?
11/04/2016 03:14:22 PM · #75
Originally posted by tanguera:

Wouldn't we want to have comments on photos appear on the photo page itself, rather than in any thread elsewhere?

From the initial post ...
Originally posted by pixelpig:

For the purpose of maintaining everyone's numbers, comments should be posted to the image (not this thread).

Also, the amazing copy/paste functionality of modern computers means the comment can easily be in both places ...
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 01/29/2020 07:32:37 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 01/29/2020 07:32:37 AM EST.