DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Tips, Tricks, and Q&A >> Which software render this swirly effect?
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 19 of 19, (reverse)
AuthorThread
02/18/2016 12:44:45 PM · #1
Think i have seen this effect applied to some enteries here as well. I'd like to know which program can render this effect:

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1176164.jpg

TIA!
02/18/2016 12:57:34 PM · #2
pixel bender
02/18/2016 01:09:30 PM · #3
Photoshop used to have a oil painting filter which I think was taken away when they went to CC.

I use this plug in and really like it.

This was the last photo I used it on so you can get an idea of what it does. It was used lightly in this image but can be cranked up to give the effect you are looking for in the photo you posted.

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1170656.jpg
02/18/2016 01:15:35 PM · #4
I bought some of their collection, and they are simply amazing.
//www.redfieldplugins.com/

02/18/2016 01:18:50 PM · #5
Originally posted by MEJazz:

Think i have seen this effect applied to some enteries here as well. I'd like to know which program can render this effect:

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1176164.jpg

TIA!


Looks like the oil painting filter in PS, or Topaz Impressions
02/18/2016 01:19:29 PM · #6
Did my link work correctly? It's not working on my mobile device. If it's not working I'll have to wait till I get home to see if I can post it properly.
02/18/2016 03:08:58 PM · #7
Originally posted by GeorgesBogaert:

I bought some of their collection, and they are simply amazing.
//www.redfieldplugins.com/


Alas, these folks are Windows only. Buggers. ;)
02/18/2016 03:16:09 PM · #8
Topazlabs.com
02/18/2016 04:32:02 PM · #9
Originally posted by tanguera:

Originally posted by MEJazz:

Think i have seen this effect applied to some enteries here as well. I'd like to know which program can render this effect:

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1176164.jpg

TIA!


Looks like the oil painting filter in PS, or Topaz Impressions


Ditto
02/18/2016 04:49:56 PM · #10
im not saying as to not encourage this sort of behavior.
02/18/2016 07:15:14 PM · #11
Couldn't do it if I wanted to, I only have PS CS5 :-(
02/18/2016 09:33:48 PM · #12
Getting an Inspire I Pro this summer.

Originally posted by SEG:

Photoshop used to have a oil painting filter which I think was taken away when they went to CC.

I use this plug in and really like it.

This was the last photo I used it on so you can get an idea of what it does. It was used lightly in this image but can be cranked up to give the effect you are looking for in the photo you posted.

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1170656.jpg
02/18/2016 09:50:00 PM · #13
Originally posted by GrillTowel:

Getting an Inspire I Pro this summer.

Originally posted by SEG:

Photoshop used to have a oil painting filter which I think was taken away when they went to CC.

I use this plug in and really like it.

This was the last photo I used it on so you can get an idea of what it does. It was used lightly in this image but can be cranked up to give the effect you are looking for in the photo you posted.

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1170656.jpg


Nice
02/19/2016 07:19:48 AM · #14
I have to agree :)
I was going to post a picture of a paintbrush ;)

Originally posted by Mike:

im not saying as to not encourage this sort of behavior.
02/19/2016 10:57:02 AM · #15
It's funny to me how a community of so called "artist" can be so negative about someone's vision of art just because it's not the sharp, crisp, standard for photography that has always been in place for decades.

Art and artist grow from trying new techniques and using trial and error to see what you or others may prefer as "art".

DPC didn't like my photo (of New Orleans) and I even got a critique letting me know which I appreciated. It helps me to grow and understand what a particular group of people like but at the same time it's one of my favorite shots that I've ever done.

Message edited by author 2016-02-19 11:02:54.
02/19/2016 02:45:42 PM · #16
Well, it is an opinion. Mine probably stems from the fact that I used to do quite a bit of oil painting. So software that attempts to create a painting with a click or two tends to feel artificial to me rather than artsy.
The examples you guys posted in this thread are pretty nice uses of effects; but i can see it becoming pretty tiresome quickly after more and more images use the effect The other thing is I've been using Photoshop and various plug-ins since about 1992 so images with wild effects have become a bit stale to me (again, an opinion). Sorry if I offend anyone with that.

Originally posted by SEG:

It's funny to me how a community of so called "artist" can be so negative about someone's vision of art just because it's not the sharp, crisp, standard for photography that has always been in place for decades.
02/19/2016 03:19:44 PM · #17
Originally posted by tate:

Well, it is an opinion. Mine probably stems from the fact that I used to do quite a bit of oil painting. So software that attempts to create a painting with a click or two tends to feel artificial to me rather than artsy.
The examples you guys posted in this thread are pretty nice uses of effects; but i can see it becoming pretty tiresome quickly after more and more images use the effect The other thing is I've been using Photoshop and various plug-ins since about 1992 so images with wild effects have become a bit stale to me (again, an opinion). Sorry if I offend anyone with that.

Originally posted by SEG:

It's funny to me how a community of so called "artist" can be so negative about someone's vision of art just because it's not the sharp, crisp, standard for photography that has always been in place for decades.


I agree with the heavy handed use of some plugins being too much. I just get a little sideways when someone asks for help and they get comments that are pretty much telling them essentially you shouldn't do it because I don't like it instead of maybe the reason why you don't like it but here's a the plug in you could try approach.

I understand where your coming from.
02/20/2016 07:58:13 AM · #18
Originally posted by SEG:

I use this plug in and really like it.


Thanks for the link. I downloaded it and installed it as a plug-in for Photoshop Elements 12. Except that you can't see the pre-example image, it works fine. Already saw this kind of images appearing in a number of challenges and I really liked them, now I can play it as well. Thanks.
02/20/2016 11:25:26 AM · #19
I hope you enjoy that Redfield plugin.
It's been on my computer for years and there are times when I bring it out for a play-session that lasts and lasts.
For one thing, it gives me ideas that I might never have thought of without that aid, and for another, it's just plain fun.
While I've never attempted to use it in a Challenge (fearing the dreaded DQ) it is a valuable and amusing tool.

I will look forward to seeing what you produce with your new toy, 21.gif Kroburg.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 02/16/2019 02:56:30 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2019 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 02/16/2019 02:56:30 PM EST.