DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Challenge Suggestions >> May we please have...
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 40, (reverse)
AuthorThread
01/25/2016 09:18:15 PM · #1
May we please have... really OPEN challenge topics?

I know I've offered up limited ones lately... and they've bombed.

I see Clouds... I looked for seven days.

We had no clouds.

At all.

Not one.

Not anyone's fault, of course...

But... could we please have more neutral challenge topics?

Seems like... uhhh...

Red... or Yellow... or...

Three... or seven... or...

Tiny... or ... Large...

Or...

You understand?

Something... every week... that's... really broad in scope. Blue... or Two... or... Can... something that can be found inside or out.

Perhaps something else... every week... that's really narrow in scope... like ... Plants... or... Circles... or... Glass. Something that can be found inside or out.

Make the one broad topic ... really work for the folks who shoot inside... and ...

really work for the folks who shoot outside.

And... then... make the one really specific topic... really work for the folks who shoot inside... and...

really work for the folks who shoot outside.

Am I insane? Or... could this work? (Or both?)

I really think that broader topics would encourage more entries.

More entries will encourage more voters and commenters.

More votes and comments will encourage more... repeat entries.

Think ... Blue. Think... Six... Think... nothing like... Air... or... dog... or even... Rope.

Make it simple. Make it something that EVERYONE can shoot without too much effort. No driving... if they don't want to... Or... driving! If they want to!

ROUND... or SQUARE... those are wherever anyone wants to go... or stay.

Let's get down to basics... to encourage more entries.

That's the basic here.

More entries... more ... life.

01/25/2016 09:24:07 PM · #2
Okay.

I take back "rope".

That was a bitter retort because I don't have anything for it... and I like to think that I shoot... inside... and ... sometimes out.

*sigh*
01/25/2016 09:29:52 PM · #3
I think this is a good idea. We have three challenges a week. One could be broad, but universally accessible, and one specific, but universally accessible and then the third one could get weird.
01/25/2016 09:41:03 PM · #4
If you want more entries and more votes that equates to more members then you need to consider allowing photographs that may have been taken outside the contest announcement period. I know that active members are not open to this but the ones who left and newer members would probably welcome the change.. We already went over this but it is being brought up in a round about way. I have looked at the early days where there were many more entires and a lot more votes and comments. From what I can see there are not that many active members participating and very few giving any comments.

I brought up voting when I first started here and was jumped on by the masses, given the impression they didn't matter but what I see is a thread tracking votes so they must matter to some degree. Now you can get your bullwhip out and I will take my lashes.
01/25/2016 09:49:36 PM · #5
I will try to make a valid point. I was out taking photographs on Sunday I got some good shots one was for one of the current contests and some were randomly taken but very good and will probably match one of the upcoming themes sooner or later, and instead of trying to retake them I should be able to use them.
01/25/2016 09:52:06 PM · #6
I do adore your tenacity, Gipper.

But... you're not gonna win this battle, so you might as well give it up.

Even I would oppose giving more than a week to shoot for most any topic, as a rule.

As an occasional challenge... just for a change, I'd go for it every time.
SC seems to know when we need a break. :D

01/25/2016 09:57:44 PM · #7
Using old photos defeats the purpose and point of having a challenge presented to you with a time limit. It creates a markedly uneven playing field between those with extensive catalogs of images and those without.

The very idea of the site is to "make" people shoot what they wouldn't ordinarily so they can "get better" -- using old photos would only show who has the most-organized archives ...

And 21_F.gif Lydia, I thought I offered a perfectly good suggestion for "clouds" which was not dependent on going outdoors ... not that it would have scored particularly well (at least if I'd tried to shoot it) ...
01/25/2016 09:59:33 PM · #8
I may not win, but if its brought up I will not give up. I may be new and I do see participation but not like it was even a year or so ago.
01/25/2016 10:06:44 PM · #9
I don't think it matters about an unfair advantage because if learning is the overall purpose then catalogued "your term not mine" photographs would offer just as good or even better learning examples than some that are being presented now. If this is to teach someone better skills why aren't some of the more experienced helping the new photographers by giving good advice through comments to point out flaws in their entries. They shouldn't have to ask it should be given by someone who notices something that may make it look better.
01/25/2016 10:28:57 PM · #10
It'll never happen.

Originally posted by gipper11:

I will try to make a valid point. I was out taking photographs on Sunday I got some good shots one was for one of the current contests and some were randomly taken but very good and will probably match one of the upcoming themes sooner or later, and instead of trying to retake them I should be able to use them.
01/25/2016 10:41:02 PM · #11
gipperkins, you MAY be able to use them: in the best of the month/January or the best of the year/2016. and you have all that time to tone them up or decide that you like something better. s'wunnerful woild.
01/25/2016 10:44:59 PM · #12
Originally posted by GeneralE:



And 21_F.gif Lydia, I thought I offered a perfectly good suggestion for "clouds" which was not dependent on going outdoors ... not that it would have scored particularly well (at least if I'd tried to shoot it) ...


Actually, Gen... I thought of having two of my offspring or one an my hubby... hold fishing lines with white paper clouds in a scene.

Not kidding.

I wanted to do it... but... I still held out for clouds.

Of course... we've had clouds for... DAYS now. *sigh*

01/25/2016 11:43:16 PM · #13
Originally posted by gipper11:

I may not win, but if its brought up I will not give up.

You may's well give up, because shoot-for-the-challenge is one of the bedrock principles of DPC that is not going to change. That's just the way it is. We've already made significant concessions to the "enter anything" camp: originally there weren't even Free studies. Then there was one a month, and then a year-long, archive-mining free study was added. Just this month we added ANOTHER monthly free study, for expert editing, and that will almost certainly lead to a year-long expert free study. In addition, for several years now we've had a yearly, archive-mining "Best of Art" free study... And every now and then, for variety, we pop out a "Hidden Gem" challenge, where you can go back as deep as you want into your archives.

So, to sum it up, every month you have two opportunities to enter anything you shot that month; still time-based, but looser. Then each year you have 2-3 opportunities to go through a whole year's worth of photos for your entry: Advanced, Expert, and "Art".

DPC really isn't about being a place where you can enter something really cool you shot in 1999 in a challenge it happens to fit; it's a place where you see the challenge and say, "Okay, I got a job to do, and I got a week to pull it off!" It's a whole other animal.

Message edited by author 2016-01-25 23:43:48.
01/26/2016 12:38:44 AM · #14
Originally posted by gipper11:

If you want more entries and more votes that equates to more members then you need to consider allowing photographs that may have been taken outside the contest announcement period. I know that active members are not open to this but the ones who left and newer members would probably welcome the change.. We already went over this but it is being brought up in a round about way. I have looked at the early days where there were many more entires and a lot more votes and comments. From what I can see there are not that many active members participating and very few giving any comments.

I brought up voting when I first started here and was jumped on by the masses, given the impression they didn't matter but what I see is a thread tracking votes so they must matter to some degree. Now you can get your bullwhip out and I will take my lashes.


If you want a site that offers that option, may I recommend Gurushots? It's got a very active participation and all the "challenges" are historical. There's something out there for everyone not all sites need to be the same

Message edited by author 2016-01-26 00:39:25.
01/26/2016 03:35:15 AM · #15
Originally posted by gipper11:

I may not win, but if its brought up I will not give up. I may be new and I do see participation but not like it was even a year or so ago.


not a chance, give in me duck
01/26/2016 06:35:51 AM · #16
(piling on)...

It's a Challenge site, not a Contest site. The "challenge" is, "Here's a topic, you've got seven days, do your best." I love Mission Impossible. I love Doctor Who. But Mission Impossible where you can hop in the TARDIS and go back in time to stop things before they happen is no fun, and neither would be accepting a mission and talking about the time you solved something just like it. Shooting for the topic is what sets this place apart.

Look, I have a perfect entry for Rope that I shot the last week of December, but two feet of snow on an unplowed back road is keeping me from going back and shooting for it, so I've got nothing with 17 1/2 hours left. In two years here I've had more than two occasions where some of my personal favorite photos were taken the day before a challenge for which they'd be perfect was announced. It's part of the deal and it's what makes this place great for newer photographers without deep catalogs - everyone has the same chance to make a picture that week.

Let me add a personal anecdote. I've been shooting since 2011. I adopted Lightroom early on and, on the advice of Mr. Kelby, I converted all my Raw files to DNG (which can not be used as a verification image) on import because, well, he knew more than I did and told me that it was a good idea. When I joined DPC within two months I was presented with a catalog deep dive challenge. There was celebration all around for the rarity, but because of my (former) postprocessing workflow I was left with about 5 months of my first shots with a DSLR and a scattering here and there where I had for whatever reason not converted on import. Not all catalogs are equal either.

I get why you hate it. But "if it's brought up" doesn't count when you're the one bringing it up. Like Robert said, it's "bedrock", and one of the few things on this site that drew me to it and hasn't disappointed at some point. Stop kicking the dog, it's trying to sleep.
01/26/2016 08:21:27 AM · #17
FWIW...if this weren't a challenge site, I wouldn't have learned how to shoot well for so many different types of subject matter. I'd probably have nothing but horses in my port! It's knowing that you have BOTH a deadline and usually a very specific challenge to meet, in which to shoot and prep the image, that brought me here and keeps me here.

And currently I am mining the archives cause I have many images that could probably make me some $$ - and yes, mostly they are challenge outtakes. And if they're good enough that they are still on my hard drive, then I know that I'll have little problem meeting the stringent requirements of the macrostock site I submit to.
01/26/2016 08:40:51 AM · #18
Originally posted by Lydia:

May we please have... really OPEN challenge topics?

I know I've offered up limited ones lately... and they've bombed.

I see Clouds... I looked for seven days.

We had no clouds.

At all.

Not one.

Not anyone's fault, of course...

But... could we please have more neutral challenge topics?

Seems like... uhhh...

Red... or Yellow... or...

Three... or seven... or...

Tiny... or ... Large...

Or...

You understand?

Something... every week... that's... really broad in scope. Blue... or Two... or... Can... something that can be found inside or out.

Perhaps something else... every week... that's really narrow in scope... like ... Plants... or... Circles... or... Glass. Something that can be found inside or out.

Make the one broad topic ... really work for the folks who shoot inside... and ...

really work for the folks who shoot outside.

And... then... make the one really specific topic... really work for the folks who shoot inside... and...

really work for the folks who shoot outside.

Am I insane? Or... could this work? (Or both?)

I really think that broader topics would encourage more entries.

More entries will encourage more voters and commenters.

More votes and comments will encourage more... repeat entries.

Think ... Blue. Think... Six... Think... nothing like... Air... or... dog... or even... Rope.

Make it simple. Make it something that EVERYONE can shoot without too much effort. No driving... if they don't want to... Or... driving! If they want to!

ROUND... or SQUARE... those are wherever anyone wants to go... or stay.

Let's get down to basics... to encourage more entries.

That's the basic here.

More entries... more ... life.


Thank you so much for the mention it means a lot to me.

I know that you did it on purpose because you find it hard to forget my name, it really is sweet.

I hope that you settle in the near future and I have no doubt you will be ok in time.
01/26/2016 09:28:35 AM · #19
Back to the original idea...

I think it's admirable to try to make challenges as accessible as possible. The trick is who would make those decisions and coordinate? For instance, you wouldn't want all of the Open challenges to be outdoors while all of the Member challenges are indoors. So you would have to sometimes have some major overlaps.

Actually, what I find more accessible isn't where a shoot could happen. That still focuses on subjects. My favorite challenges are the technique based challenges. This latest close up panoramic was awesome, as it taught me a new technique. Things like shallow depth of field, motion blur, fast shutter speed. Those things make you learn the techniques. Subjects don't do that as much for me.
01/26/2016 09:36:31 AM · #20
Originally posted by giantmike:

Back to the original idea...

I think it's admirable to try to make challenges as accessible as possible. The trick is who would make those decisions and coordinate? For instance, you wouldn't want all of the Open challenges to be outdoors while all of the Member challenges are indoors. So you would have to sometimes have some major overlaps.

Actually, what I find more accessible isn't where a shoot could happen. That still focuses on subjects. My favorite challenges are the technique based challenges. This latest close up panoramic was awesome, as it taught me a new technique. Things like shallow depth of field, motion blur, fast shutter speed. Those things make you learn the techniques. Subjects don't do that as much for me.


+1
Subject-oriented challenges are OK once in a while. They're like treasure hunts.

Who makes the decisions--we do, thru suggesting challenge ideas.

Technique-based challenges are my favorite--open to all, fun for all.
01/26/2016 11:54:06 AM · #21
Originally posted by giantmike:

Back to the original idea...

I think it's admirable to try to make challenges as accessible as possible. The trick is who would make those decisions and coordinate? For instance, you wouldn't want all of the Open challenges to be outdoors while all of the Member challenges are indoors. So you would have to sometimes have some major overlaps.

Actually, what I find more accessible isn't where a shoot could happen. That still focuses on subjects. My favorite challenges are the technique based challenges. This latest close up panoramic was awesome, as it taught me a new technique. Things like shallow depth of field, motion blur, fast shutter speed. Those things make you learn the techniques. Subjects don't do that as much for me.


+1000 THIS and it is why I am shying away from subjects more and I find more thrill into the techy kind of challenges.. Inquiring minds want to know LOL

This is why I love DPC, this is why I love the experienced members here because of the technology issue I have learned so much here within the last 2 yrs its not even funny..
There was a recent challenge that I was so excited about because it was a techy challenge, however, due to my in-experience with on how to do it, after many, many turorials, reading things and going through Utube and following the threads and suggestions of how too, (I did not have to ask the questions on here because it was already asked by someone else)
I was still unsuccessful at getting what I wanted.. It took my best friend of 18yrs coming across state lines from S Carolina to the Midwest to "show" me how to do what I wanted to create.. she is spending a week with me( for other reasons as well) and she is the one that was responsible for getting me into photography in the first place.. so we are having a huge blast! Tonight and the next few nights she we are gonna be doing fire steel wool spinning and doing and learning more about long exposures..I can't wait for it!

DPC is just one of those things that you get out of what you want, it is NOT just about score but an extension photography family you get to know....Winning a virtual online ribbon? Sure who wouldn't like at least one, you need to learn and expand, the knowledge here by the members are outstanding! They won't beat your door down you gotta show the how serious you are in learning and beat their door down, I have not met one member that bites yet..I have become really good friends with a few outside of DPC...if you see a style that you like hit that person up, some are guru at lightroom others are guru at photoshop, hit them up.. but as far as the ORIGINAL post goes and back to that subject...

What Mike said was exactly what I was thinking and could not have said it better!

Message edited by author 2016-01-26 12:04:15.
01/26/2016 01:44:10 PM · #22
Another strictly fwiw...if not for wanting to have someone to go shoot for challenges with, I never would have met my (now-ex, sadly) bf, Ryan aka 31.gif Magnumphotography.

He was, and still is, a very knowledgeable photog, can shoot a wedding on film, and introduced me to all kinds of fun techniques like those mentioned by Mike and Julie in the previous few posts. Motion blur, zoomblur, long exposure, astro, macro, birds in flight, wildlife, street photography, strobist, front and rear curtain sync...the list goes on. Even though he dropped photography in favour of metal detecting, at least he'll still share his knowledge with me when I ask.

Hell, if he hadn't made me get out of bed and go with him to the airport ridiculously early one Sunday morning, to get an entry for a challenge, I never would have got my first bling with this:Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_852915.jpg

So that's my story. Had this been just a place where you only had to mine your archives, I doubt I ever would have met him.
01/26/2016 08:50:34 PM · #23
Hello:

I'm here, but not to complain :-) I have thought about what all you seasoned veterans had to say and I have come to the conclusion that I agree with you and I will not bring that subject up again "promise". I got your point.
01/26/2016 09:24:45 PM · #24
Originally posted by gipper11:

Hello:

I'm here, but not to complain :-) I have thought about what all you seasoned veterans had to say and I have come to the conclusion that I agree with you and I will not bring that subject up again "promise". I got your point.


I liked you already, Gipper... but now I like you even more.

Welcome to The Club.

01/26/2016 10:31:48 PM · #25
Forget rope or anything else.. unless it's buried in SNOW!!!!
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 02/18/2019 01:18:24 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2019 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 02/18/2019 01:18:24 AM EST.