DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Challenge Announcements >> "Orange IV" Challenge Results Recalculated
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 34, (reverse)
AuthorThread
03/04/2015 09:55:29 AM · #1
The former first-place winner in the "Orange IV" challenge has been disqualified for being taken before the challenge was announced. Congratulations to our new ribboner and HM.
03/04/2015 02:52:47 PM · #2
Awwwww! My heart can't help but feel the pain of anyone getting a DQ. I actually feel a bit bittersweet to take Hiker Dude's spot. So sorry, HikerDude! *Hug*
03/04/2015 06:42:42 PM · #3
Oh!!! How does that even happen pure mistake?

Congrats Sandy a blue on your first go back for a while.
03/04/2015 07:16:10 PM · #4
Originally posted by Neat:

Oh!!! How does that even happen pure mistake?

Congrats Sandy a blue on your first go back for a while.


It happened to me. My camera died... I sent it off. I set the date on my temporary camera... checked the day, month, time. Checked them twice... and shot.

The camera (and therefore my entry) was exactly a year ahead of my shot... I was disqualified. No exceptions.

It happens.

03/04/2015 07:18:37 PM · #5
Also when you're off away from home on a multi-day shoot, it's easy to lose track of which images were shot when.
03/04/2015 07:56:27 PM · #6
Aweee congrats Sandy

SO sorry, but I have received a pink ribbon DQ for the same thing! It was easy to do especially when I changed out the battery to my point and shoot, it resets every time for some odd reason.
03/04/2015 08:06:14 PM · #7
Originally posted by Bear_Music:

Also when you're off away from home on a multi-day shoot, it's easy to lose track of which images were shot when.


Yes I'm always weary that that could easily happen when you're travelling and time gets lost in translation!

Message edited by author 2015-03-04 20:06:44.
03/04/2015 10:35:40 PM · #8
Originally posted by Neat:

Originally posted by Bear_Music:

Also when you're off away from home on a multi-day shoot, it's easy to lose track of which images were shot when.


Yes I'm always weary that that could easily happen when you're travelling and time gets lost in translation!


It's when you're weary that these things are most likely to happen :)
03/04/2015 11:24:30 PM · #9
What if the camera was set a year in advance or whatever, but the picture was of something that unequivocally proved it was taken within the time period (say New Year's Eve countdown in Times Square). Still no exceptions?
03/04/2015 11:40:09 PM · #10
Originally posted by LanndonKane:

What if the camera was set a year in advance or whatever, but the picture was of something that unequivocally proved it was taken within the time period (say New Year's Eve countdown in Times Square). Still no exceptions?

Still no exceptions.
03/05/2015 01:44:47 AM · #11
Originally posted by Bear_Music:

Originally posted by LanndonKane:

What if the camera was set a year in advance or whatever, but the picture was of something that unequivocally proved it was taken within the time period (say New Year's Eve countdown in Times Square). Still no exceptions?

Still no exceptions.


so... when the rules say "no exceptions" what exceptions are allowed, please?

03/05/2015 04:37:12 AM · #12
Originally posted by Lydia:

Originally posted by Bear_Music:

Originally posted by LanndonKane:

What if the camera was set a year in advance or whatever, but the picture was of something that unequivocally proved it was taken within the time period (say New Year's Eve countdown in Times Square). Still no exceptions?

Still no exceptions.


so... when the rules say "no exceptions" what exceptions are allowed, please?


Money. Always money. And I do not mean pictures of it...

Remember that there are four more palms to grease as well, since the new members joined SC, but perhaps they are still on a lower scale.
03/05/2015 08:33:05 AM · #13
One year behind ...
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/0-999/605/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_442909.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_challenge/0-999/605/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_442909.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
I thought maybe they would make an exception because, after all, who takes photos of batteries and has them just waiting for the off chance that they fit a challenge? ;)
03/05/2015 09:48:41 AM · #14
Originally posted by herfotoman:

Remember that there are four more palms to grease as well, since the new members joined SC, but perhaps they are still on a lower scale.

FOUR? I count 2, since I'm an old hand now, or 3 if you include me in the count :-)
03/05/2015 10:45:24 AM · #15
Stupid mistake on my first blue ribbon. That won't happen again. Guess I'll just have to work that much harder to earn another blue! :)
03/05/2015 01:01:37 PM · #16
Originally posted by HikerDude:

Stupid mistake on my first blue ribbon. That won't happen again. Guess I'll just have to work that much harder to earn another blue! :)

Given your location and the reaction to the one that DQ'd, I'd say it's just a short matter of time if you put your mind to it. Good luck!
03/05/2015 01:22:50 PM · #17
So...a question on photo time in the EXIF and submission time. Is the photo time based on the time the photo was taken at the photo site (e.g. Chinese time, when shooting in China) or based on U.S. dpc time? Same for submissions... submission deadline based on the US deadline time, even though it's past the deadline in other parts of the world (e.g. Europe, Asia)?
03/05/2015 02:14:49 PM · #18
Originally posted by HikerDude:

Stupid mistake on my first blue ribbon. That won't happen again. Guess I'll just have to work that much harder to earn another blue! :)

The DQ doesn't change the quality of the photo. That's a great location to shoot, and yours is one of the best shots I've seen from there. Definitely looking forward to more of your work.
03/05/2015 02:43:21 PM · #19
Originally posted by dwyllie:

So...a question on photo time in the EXIF and submission time. Is the photo time based on the time the photo was taken at the photo site (e.g. Chinese time, when shooting in China) or based on U.S. dpc time? Same for submissions... submission deadline based on the US deadline time, even though it's past the deadline in other parts of the world (e.g. Europe, Asia)?


When traveling to a different time zone, it is best to submit a ticket to SC letting us know the location where it was taken. It helps us dismiss any thoughts of "out of range" when an out-of-challenge date pops up in the EXIF.
03/05/2015 02:52:48 PM · #20
The timezone concern is odd to me.

Challenges are announced at rollover, midnight, and that begins the valid period during which you can create your entry, yet a person a few time zones to the west could go out right then and shoot for the challenge with an exif data date from the day before the challenge was announced. Similarly, when I lived in Europe I'd often shoot last-minute stuff and enter, and my exif data date was technically the day after the challenge ended. Certainly plenty of Aussies have been there.

I think the timezone concern is unwarranted.
03/05/2015 02:58:12 PM · #21
Ok Well then... What If I'm caught in a Quantum Time Continuum and this leads to seemingly paradoxical resolutions to the paradox. Assume the external subsystem is irrelevant, and only a qubit travels in the CTC. Also assume during the course around the time machine, the value of the qubit is flipped according to the unitary operator

Would that be an EXCEPTION????
03/05/2015 03:00:11 PM · #22
Originally posted by littlemav:

Ok Well then... What If I'm caught in a Quantum Time Continuum and this leads to seemingly paradoxical resolutions to the paradox. Assume the external subsystem is irrelevant, and only a qubit travels in the CTC. Also assume during the course around the time machine, the value of the qubit is flipped according to the unitary operator

Would that be an EXCEPTION????


NO. EXCEPTIONS!!

Sheesh...
03/05/2015 03:06:42 PM · #23
Can i start taking a bunch of winter landscapes now, with my EXIF set forward a few months, to use them in a summertime challenge, to contrast my entry with the others?

03/05/2015 03:10:36 PM · #24
Originally posted by LanndonKane:

Can i start taking a bunch of winter landscapes now, with my EXIF set forward a few months, to use them in a summertime challenge, to contrast my entry with the others?

Sure, and we promise not to tell anyone why you've been gone for a couple of months ...
03/05/2015 03:11:31 PM · #25
Originally posted by GeneralE:

Originally posted by LanndonKane:

Can i start taking a bunch of winter landscapes now, with my EXIF set forward a few months, to use them in a summertime challenge, to contrast my entry with the others?

Sure, and we promise not to tell anyone why you've been gone for a couple of months ...


knew i could count on you.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 04/01/2020 07:45:46 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 04/01/2020 07:45:46 AM EDT.