DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> General Discussion >> Why all of the Expert Challenges?! :-(
Pages:  
Showing posts 101 - 113 of 113, (reverse)
AuthorThread
02/20/2015 01:24:00 PM · #101
Originally posted by Basta:


Rather than arguing about this subject, look at the numbers . Participation in last two expert challenges was in mid 20's . Impressive??

What used to make this place special is the fact that it was about photography.

Expert editing is way more about photoshop shenanigans than photography.


I think it has more to do with the topic than the editing ruleset, emphasis mine. some topics require more thought and effort, others not so much. Participation is down across the board, its not like expert editing challenges are statistical outliers, some have outperformed advanced editing challenges recently, opening lines for instance didn't have much in the way of composites, even though it was expert and got a lot of entries.

Steampunk (Expert Editing)
28
Open Challenge Numbers III (Advanced Editing)
62
Member Challenge Favorite Song (Advanced Editing)
50
Member Challenge Opening Lines (Expert Editing)
53

Open Challenge Tradesman (Advanced Editing)
34

Member Challenge Guess Your Score (Advanced Editing)
75
Member Challenge Stopped Motion VII (Advanced Editing)
39
Open Challenge Oil II (Advanced Editing)
48
Member Challenge Square Crop III (Advanced Editing)
94

Member Challenge Warmth (Advanced Editing)
45

Open Challenge Shoes III (Advanced Editing)
81
Member Challenge Freedom of Expression (Expert Editing)
33
Member Challenge Negative Space VII (Advanced Editing)
65
Open Challenge Ghost (Minimal Editing)
55
Member Challenge Something Old IV (Advanced Editing)
65
Member Challenge New Year Resolutions VII (Expert Editing)
38
Open Challenge Light III (Advanced Editing)
86
Member Challenge Lint (Advanced Editing)
37


Message edited by author 2015-02-20 13:28:38.
02/20/2015 01:50:25 PM · #102
Expert editing challenges are usually lower because many put ribbons ahead of photography.
02/20/2015 06:13:06 PM · #103
Basically, you don't have to be an expert, or use expert skills, to enter an expert challenge. Your minimal effort is fine. I really don't like the names of these rule sets. One could argue flipping them would make more sense. I'm not suggesting this but I'm more impressed with what is seen and captured with a camera. DPC even validates images so we know they are legitimate. This is very unique for an online photography site and should be commended.

I try to stay out of forums and wish I hadn't read this one. It was sad to see somebody being told to leave the site because they were interested in more minimal challenges. Petulant remarks like these aren't needed. He has the right to voice his opinion but so does everybody else.
02/20/2015 06:21:04 PM · #104
Originally posted by insteps:

I really don't like the names of these rule sets.

When we (eventually) update them expect name changes ... :-)

FWIW I have two Minimally-edited entries in the five challenges currently available, though not the one which has to be Minimal Editing ...

Message edited by author 2015-02-20 18:54:43.
02/20/2015 10:16:45 PM · #105
Originally posted by insteps:

Basically, you don't have to be an expert, or use expert skills, to enter an expert challenge. Your minimal effort is fine. I really don't like the names of these rule sets. One could argue flipping them would make more sense. I'm not suggesting this but I'm more impressed with what is seen and captured with a camera. DPC even validates images so we know they are legitimate. This is very unique for an online photography site and should be commended.

I try to stay out of forums and wish I hadn't read this one. It was sad to see somebody being told to leave the site because they were interested in more minimal challenges. Petulant remarks like these aren't needed. He has the right to voice his opinion but so does everybody else.


He wasn't told to leave the site. It was suggested that there are other places to play if he wasn't happy here. That was after he took a slap at those who entered the expert challenges. Let's stop acting as if the op is the victim here.
02/20/2015 10:43:24 PM · #106
Originally posted by Mike:

... That was after he took a slap at those who entered the expert challenges. ...

Really?
02/20/2015 11:49:32 PM · #107
Originally posted by glad2badad:

Originally posted by Mike:

... That was after he took a slap at those who entered the expert challenges. ...

Really?

Right, you did no such thing.

But to be fair, on the other side, Christophe wasn't telling anyone to take a hike either; he was saying "If you don't want to look at what DPC is offering in any particular instance, DON'T. There are plenty of places to look at things on the internet." It wasn't an invitation to "take a hike"...
02/21/2015 12:04:33 AM · #108
I admit that I was surprised the OP was being told he could go look elsewhere as I didn't find his post at all accusatory. We all need to be aware that we do need a mix of challenges with interesting topics to keep our membership active.

So far as expert is concerned, I have interest in looking at the challenges to see what's there (and I almost always vote)... I know there will always be a few entries devoted to editing, but I also like to look at what people have come up with, alternatively. I am NOT the editing type, myself, but I have used the expert challenges, on occasion, to do things I can't do in advanced. I'm not so much enamored with scores, so I don't always enter with that in mind. For people who like to score well, I believe it is important to vote if they enter.



02/21/2015 11:08:52 AM · #109
Originally posted by glad2badad:

Originally posted by Mike:

... That was after he took a slap at those who entered the expert challenges. ...

Really?


why make this comment then?

Originally posted by glad2badad:



These Expert challenges are killing my average vote cast stat.
02/21/2015 03:14:41 PM · #110
Originally posted by Mike:

... That was after he took a slap at those who entered the expert challenges. ...

Originally posted by glad2badad:

Really?

Originally posted by Mike:

why make this comment then?

Originally posted by glad2badad:

These Expert challenges are killing my average vote cast stat.

This thread has been a plethora of missed communications.

Barry meant average vote CAST.....which nulled out my snarky post as the total and complete misunderstanding that it was.
02/21/2015 03:24:12 PM · #111
Originally posted by NikonJeb:

Originally posted by Mike:

... That was after he took a slap at those who entered the expert challenges. ...

Originally posted by glad2badad:

Really?

Originally posted by Mike:

why make this comment then?

Originally posted by glad2badad:

These Expert challenges are killing my average vote cast stat.

This thread has been a plethora of missed communications.

Barry meant average vote CAST.....which nulled out my snarky post as the total and complete misunderstanding that it was.


umm, he inferred he votes these challenges low, and then actually confirmed it later in the discussion. when you make a backhanded comment don't be shocked when you get backhanded replies.

Message edited by author 2015-02-21 15:24:39.
02/21/2015 03:30:18 PM · #112
To say that someone doesn't "like" a particular style of photograph and tends to (logically enough) vote lower on those than on photos one "likes" is an opinion, and is not an insult of either the genre or the photographers which practice it. Others may agree or disagree with that opinion, but there's no justification for personal insults.
02/21/2015 03:38:07 PM · #113
Originally posted by GeneralE:

To say that someone doesn't "like" a particular style of photograph and tends to (logically enough) vote lower on those than on photos one "likes" is an opinion, and is not an insult of either the genre or the photographers which practice it. Others may agree or disagree with that opinion, but there's no justification for personal insults.


the OP knew it when he made it, that it would rub people the wrong way. just like saying to go play elsewhere rubs people the wrong way. i don't care that he made it but everyone is defending him as if he is innocent of the comments made against him.

Pages:  
Current Server Time: 01/19/2020 06:01:19 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 01/19/2020 06:01:19 AM EST.