DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Challenge Announcements >> "Wheels" challenge results recalculated
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 156, (reverse)
AuthorThread
07/18/2014 06:59:08 PM · #1
The former Yellow Ribbon image in the “Wheels” challenge has been disqualified for violating the artwork rule. While past iterations of the artwork rule only required something to be real in the scene, the current version prohibits using photorealistic artwork as the primary impact of an entry.

In this case, a photo taken from another website serves as the main subject (the wheels in a wheels challenge), and voters are therefore largely judging a photo of a photo taken by someone else outside the challenge dates.

Congratulations to our new Yellow Ribbon winner and HM.
07/18/2014 07:15:08 PM · #2
Well, while I don't agree that voters were judging a photo of a photo, I knew I was pushing the envelope, but had several precedents that I thought covered me. Oh well, live & learn. :)

eta: Congrats to 21_F.gif MNet on the yellow. Apologies for "stealing" your limelight. ;-)

Message edited by author 2014-07-18 19:21:40.
07/18/2014 07:29:38 PM · #3
Rules aside, I thought your entry was fantastic. Your gracious response to a DQ even more so. Kudos to you for both.
07/18/2014 07:31:24 PM · #4
Ditto what Shannon said. SC has spent hours discussing this one, and we really appreciate your phlegmatic acceptance :-) It's a great image, Ken.
07/18/2014 07:32:35 PM · #5
That sucks, Ken.

I know it was hard for SC. I'd not want to be in their shoes on this one.

07/18/2014 08:02:58 PM · #6
still a great image and more respect to you Ken
for the attitude towards this
I will say you are a phenominal photoshop guru
07/18/2014 08:09:55 PM · #7
Ken, that sucks. But on a brighter note, only 10 more DQs to a blue ribbon for me ;)
07/18/2014 08:12:48 PM · #8
All the more reason to fear Ken in the "Drinking" challenge.
He's good and he'll pick through every rule book rule before sending in his next entry.
Beware!
:)
07/18/2014 08:21:44 PM · #9
Too bad Ken; great image nonetheless.
07/18/2014 08:33:22 PM · #10
Thanks for that:) as I moved up a notch. Your creativity won't be forgotten!
07/18/2014 08:37:31 PM · #11
Originally posted by sfalice:

All the more reason to fear Ken in the "Drinking" challenge.
He's good and he'll pick through every rule book rule before sending in his next entry.
Beware!
:)


I fear Ken in any drinking challenge! ;)

(Just kidding! I have no idea if he even drinks.)
07/18/2014 08:43:45 PM · #12
I should've gone with the original image I shot for the challenge. Things could've been different...

wheels.png

(apologies to 21.gif ecmguy) :P

Thanks for all the comments on the image and the support. And thanks to the SC for doing what you do. I'll get over it. It's just one more reason TO drink. :)
07/18/2014 09:02:54 PM · #13
I just choked on my coke!
07/18/2014 09:04:05 PM · #14
Wheel funny, Ken. Wheeeeeel funny.
07/18/2014 09:06:39 PM · #15
Originally posted by Art Roflmao:

I should've gone with the original image I shot for the challenge. Things could've been different...

wheels.png

(apologies to 21.gif ecmguy) :P

Thanks for all the comments on the image and the support. And thanks to the SC for doing what you do. I'll get over it. It's just one more reason TO drink. :)

Never change. Ever. You're awesome, gracious and hilarious!
07/18/2014 09:32:53 PM · #16
Originally posted by RyanW:



Never change. Ever. You're awesome, gracious and hilarious!


What ^ Ryan said.

07/18/2014 09:55:14 PM · #17
Priceless... Hahahaha
07/18/2014 11:23:23 PM · #18
Originally posted by scalvert:

The former Yellow Ribbon image in the “Wheels” challenge has been disqualified for violating the artwork rule. While past iterations of the artwork rule only required something to be real in the scene, the current version prohibits using photorealistic artwork as the primary impact of an entry.

In this case, a photo taken from another website serves as the main subject (the wheels in a wheels challenge), and voters are therefore largely judging a photo of a photo taken by someone else outside the challenge dates.



Can SC please clarify... had the "Artwork" image been taken during the challenge period by the participant would the image then be considered legal or would it still be a DQ based solely on the amount of "artwork" used.
07/18/2014 11:39:35 PM · #19
The inside of his head does not look like that? I am disappointed.
07/18/2014 11:47:01 PM · #20
Originally posted by MarkB:

had the "Artwork" image been taken during the challenge period by the participant would the image then be considered legal or would it still be a DQ based solely on the amount of "artwork" used.

The author doesn't matter. Even in Expert, the rules state that artwork "must not be so prominent that voters are basically judging a photo of a photo." Entering a picture of a picture kind of defeats the purpose of a photography contest.

Message edited by author 2014-07-18 23:47:47.
07/19/2014 12:00:36 AM · #21
Originally posted by scalvert:

Originally posted by MarkB:

had the "Artwork" image been taken during the challenge period by the participant would the image then be considered legal or would it still be a DQ based solely on the amount of "artwork" used.

The author doesn't matter. Even in Expert, the rules state that artwork "must not be so prominent that voters are basically judging a photo of a photo." Entering a picture of a picture kind of defeats the purpose of a photography contest.

Oh boy, here we go, you've really done it now. :-)
Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_284583.jpg
07/19/2014 12:05:24 AM · #22
That was under the old rule, Dennis.
07/19/2014 12:27:35 AM · #23
Originally posted by scalvert:

That was under the old rule, Dennis.


Silence is golden. I should follow that rule more often myself.
07/19/2014 12:47:24 AM · #24
Originally posted by CEJ:

Originally posted by scalvert:

That was under the old rule, Dennis.


Silence is golden. I should follow that rule more often myself.


And duct tape is silver.......!
07/19/2014 12:59:31 AM · #25
I am curious. If Art had gone to a tattoo parlour and had those wheels tattooed on his head would that be legal?
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 02/19/2019 08:13:05 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2019 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 02/19/2019 08:13:05 PM EST.