DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Current Challenge >> Where the wild things are
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 21 of 21, (reverse)
AuthorThread
04/11/2014 08:21:06 AM · #1
Good Morning!

I REALLY wish I was able to use older pictures of the last month or so, all my wildlife pics were of eagles then...
LOL

I am really excited about this theme for the open challenge because of what others will be able to come up with..its my favorite thing to take pictures of!

Message edited by author 2014-04-11 08:21:37.
04/11/2014 11:56:41 AM · #2
You can always put them in your portfolio and show them to folks.
04/11/2014 01:13:13 PM · #3
Great idea Tiny however, I am not a member yet.. I have added my website (google pictures) to the profile though :-))
04/11/2014 01:48:38 PM · #4
I got mine by accident last night. I forgot that there was a wildlife challenge while I was photographing my subject, and remembered later.
04/11/2014 07:58:44 PM · #5
Clarification please.

Are ZOO animals definitely a no-no, as per the challenge description? It sure looks like that. Are ZOO animals domesticated and what's the "natural habitat" of a wild animal born in captivity?
What about insects? "mammals, birds, reptiles and amphibians" but no insects?!?!
How about alley cats and stray dogs photographed in their natural habitat (e.g a dumpster)? How should we interpret the term "non-domesticated"?
04/11/2014 08:49:06 PM · #6
Zoo animals are definitely a no no.

I would really avoid cats and dogs, because even if you think they're wild, there's a good chance that they belong to someone and go home at night. So I certainly wouldn't consider it wild unless you show me a dingo out doing dingo things.

Seriously, it's not that difficult. The idea is to find wildlife. Not things in cages and behind glass, trapped for your enjoyment. No matter how enjoyable we find them. :)
04/11/2014 08:49:10 PM · #7
Children are not wild animals, either, because they're supposed to be domesticated. :)

Message edited by author 2014-04-12 12:51:38.
04/11/2014 08:51:40 PM · #8
Originally posted by vawendy:

Zoo animals are definitely a no no.

I would really avoid cats and dogs, because even if you think they're wild, there's a good chance that they belong to someone and go home at night. So I certainly wouldn't consider it wild unless you show me a dingo out doing dingo things.

Seriously, it's not that difficult. The idea is to find wildlife. Not things in cages and behind glass, trapped for your enjoyment. No matter how enjoyable we find them. :)


ok ok Wendy... we get it after the the first post! ;-) jk

time to go stalk the blooming fields ...

-m

04/11/2014 09:01:18 PM · #9
Originally posted by damjanev:

Clarification please.

Are ZOO animals definitely a no-no, as per the challenge description? It sure looks like that. Are ZOO animals domesticated and what's the "natural habitat" of a wild animal born in captivity?
What about insects? "mammals, birds, reptiles and amphibians" but no insects?!?!
How about alley cats and stray dogs photographed in their natural habitat (e.g a dumpster)? How should we interpret the term "non-domesticated"?


Really....you even took time to post this...

04/11/2014 09:17:22 PM · #10
Originally posted by Ja-9:


Really....you even took time to post this...


Yes i did :-)
04/12/2014 02:26:24 AM · #11
I've always thought that photographs of Zoo animals was a bit of a cop out,.puts the rest of us at a disadvantage
04/12/2014 03:33:29 AM · #12
Originally posted by jgirl57:

Great idea Tiny however, I am not a member yet.. I have added my website (google pictures) to the profile though :-))


Not sure that is working ?
04/12/2014 08:08:04 AM · #13
Thanks Tiny, it added that extra http in the addy, fixed it

What about animal reserves and preservation??

We have a buffalo wild heard in our area that I plan on taking pictures of but not sure that would even qualify for it..
This can be tricky because they are treated still as wildlife there? Thoughts?
04/12/2014 08:12:15 AM · #14
I can't see why that would work it's no different that a national park or sanctuary.
I would go by this, if they are fed then no good.
04/12/2014 05:48:09 PM · #15
Originally posted by nygold:

I can't see why that would work it's no different that a national park or sanctuary.
I would go by this, if they are fed then no good.


Yes, that stands to reason, could be added to the challenge description
04/12/2014 06:27:17 PM · #16
Note that for this challenge failure to meet the challenge description is not grounds for disqualification.
04/13/2014 10:24:26 AM · #17
Ways to Improve Your Wildlife Photography (recent article from PictureCorrect email)
04/15/2014 10:20:53 AM · #18
i just went to a nearby forest and found amazing insect. i guess its also a lifeform found in the wild. can it meet the challenge?
04/15/2014 10:21:20 AM · #19
i just went to a nearby forest and found amazing insect. i guess its also a lifeform found in the wild. can it meet the challenge?
04/15/2014 10:48:17 AM · #20
Originally posted by lovemelvin:

i just went to a nearby forest and found amazing insect. i guess its also a lifeform found in the wild. can it meet the challenge?


I would think not. The challenge description lists the acceptable life forms (although technically insects are animals):
"'wildlife' should be considered non-domesticated mammals, birds, reptiles and amphibians living in a natural environment. "
04/15/2014 08:41:34 PM · #21
8 miles of biking and 5 miles of hiking and no wildlife to show for itů But I had fun even if the animals didn't cooperate.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 02/23/2020 09:57:42 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 02/23/2020 09:57:42 AM EST.