DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

Threads will be shown in descending order for the remainder of this session. To permanently display posts in this order, adjust your preferences.
DPChallenge Forums >> Photography Discussion >> Photographer Vs. Elk... (kinda scary, kinda cute)
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 113, descending (reverse)
AuthorThread
12/03/2013 11:01:08 PM · #1
Elk and Moose are both "deer"? I didn't realize that.
12/03/2013 09:55:40 PM · #2
Originally posted by Bear_Music:

Someone needs to find us a bull moose to trump the elk that trumped the deer :-)

As you wish. This is a bull moose near Walden, CO.
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/50000-54999/54446/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1094202.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/50000-54999/54446/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1094202.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

This Alces alces shirasi moose is the smallest of the moose subspecies. Also known as the Yellowstone moose or the Wyoming moose.

The much larger A. a. gigas lives in western Canada and Alaska. On average, an adult moose stands 1.4–2.1 m (4.6–6.9 ft) high at the shoulder, which is more than a foot higher than the next largest deer on average, the Elk. Males (or "bulls") weigh 380–700 kg (840–1,500 lb) and females (or "cows") typically weigh 200–360 kg (440–790 lb).

Message edited by author 2013-12-03 21:56:44.
12/03/2013 09:10:07 PM · #3
Someone needs to find us a bull moose to trump the elk that trumped the deer :-)
12/03/2013 07:52:12 PM · #4
Originally posted by Spork99:

Originally posted by hahn23:

Originally posted by Spork99:

This one was a monster


I'll see your 12 point buck and raise you to 16 points.
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/50000-54999/54446/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1094152.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/50000-54999/54446/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1094152.jpg', '/') + 1) . '


Yeah, but that one's not dinner.


What a small rack. Here is one that looks a bit better. ' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/45000-49999/45524/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1094183.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/45000-49999/45524/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1094183.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
12/03/2013 11:53:06 AM · #5
Originally posted by hahn23:

Originally posted by Spork99:

This one was a monster


I'll see your 12 point buck and raise you to 16 points.
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/50000-54999/54446/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1094152.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/50000-54999/54446/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1094152.jpg', '/') + 1) . '


Yeah, but that one's not dinner.
12/03/2013 11:32:47 AM · #6
Originally posted by Spork99:

This one was a monster


I'll see your 12 point buck and raise you to 16 points.
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/50000-54999/54446/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1094152.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/50000-54999/54446/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1094152.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
12/03/2013 11:19:15 AM · #7
This one was a monster
12/03/2013 10:38:15 AM · #8
Originally posted by JH:

Antlers are so badly designed.


Dunno - they're the right size for keys AND coats... :D
12/03/2013 03:57:41 AM · #9
Antlers are so badly designed.
12/02/2013 09:38:29 PM · #10
Wow.
12/02/2013 09:29:47 PM · #11
Impressive men as they put themselves in harms way for the welfare of the remaining deer. Thanks for sharing this Cory.
12/02/2013 09:12:01 PM · #12
That was incredible!
12/02/2013 08:48:38 PM · #13
Here's a rather more interesting human-deer interaction.

No arguing that their touching this deer saved it's life.

//www.liveleak.com/view?i=7f3_1386002370
11/17/2013 06:01:41 PM · #14
Originally posted by JH:

Why is it okay to feed wild birds in the garden, or ducks in a pond?


OK is not quite true.

While there are foods that one can feed birds in general, bread and other similar items are NOT good for them.

If indeed you are to feed birds in the garden, either feed them all the time or never. Rather sad to have critters depend on humans and forget how to feed themselves.

Ray

11/17/2013 05:57:05 PM · #15
Why is it okay to feed wild birds in the garden, or ducks in a pond?
11/17/2013 05:11:10 PM · #16
There was a case a couple of years ago in Cades Cove (which *is* almost in Gatlinburg) where a man wanted to get a close up picture of a bear. So, he baited it. Being a bear, it ended up "scuffling" the man's shoe looking for more food. (That was stupid AND a violation of park policy.)

He got his picture.

The bear got death.

Most of the time these situations don't spark a lot of interest locally -- but this one enraged a lot of people. The bear was being a bear. The man was being stupid. The bear got punished.

Geez, people, don't feed the wildlife -- in a park or anywhere. Not only is our food bad for them (and usually bad for us as well, but that is another thread), but it is putting yourself in a (needlessly) dangerous situation. Buy a zoom lense or something.
11/17/2013 04:55:49 PM · #17
Originally posted by Spork99:

You can be stupid and still be within the rules.


Hey! Something we agree on!
11/17/2013 04:13:57 PM · #18
Originally posted by hahn23:

Originally posted by Cory:


As for the photographer's 'foolish behavior'... I'm not sure why you're still going on about that - even the park rangers are on record saying he did nothing wrong, other than perhaps not retreating quite quickly enough.


The park rangers are wrong. The idiot photographer should have moved back as the spike approached. Sitting on the ground with legs crossed and concealing his eyes with camouflage hat really confused the spike. The photographer simply had to stand up, wave his arms and make noise. He could have saved that elk… at least from being killed due to this encounter. The episode could have been, and should have been, prevented. I don't like the portrayal of the photographer as some kind of hero for surviving the elk "attack". There was nothing heroic or brave about what he did. As Ron White says, "You can't fix stupid." I sincerely hope the message gets out that it is dead wrong for photographers to sit down on the ground in that situation. The idiot was trying to get a closeup portrait and he's lucky he didn't get injured. I continue to be angry about this event, because it was preventable and it will result in greater scrutiny and restriction of wildlife photographers in the future.


No doubt he was stupid.

You can be stupid and still be within the rules.

The rangers are most certainly not wrong. The guy did nothing that was against the rules. He certainly didn't heed the warnings and that's dangerous, but not wrong.

On the one hand, you're angry because this dunderhead did something that's legal, that you'd like to be illegal, which would bring more scrutiny on the activities of wildlife photographers, but you're also upset because you think this incident will bring more scrutiny to wildlife photographers…which is it?

Message edited by author 2013-11-17 23:06:27.
11/16/2013 06:46:16 PM · #19
Originally posted by hahn23:

Originally posted by karmat:

…but I want to point out one glaringly large, annoying error.

Cataloochee Valley is NOT in TN (thought it is very close) and is definitely not in Gatlinburg. It is in NC, near Maggie Valley.


Gatlinburg is in TN. The GSMNP HQ is in TN. Catalooche Valley is in NC. map


Yes, I know. (see Bear's post).

It just irks me when reporters and reporting agencies make that kind of mistake.

(Random karmat fact -- my great-grandmother was one of the inhabitants of Cataloochee Valley that was displaced when it became a national park. . .)

edit for spelling

Message edited by author 2013-11-16 20:30:44.
11/16/2013 06:35:12 PM · #20
Originally posted by karmat:

…but I want to point out one glaringly large, annoying error.

Cataloochee Valley is NOT in TN (thought it is very close) and is definitely not in Gatlinburg. It is in NC, near Maggie Valley.


Gatlinburg is in TN. The GSMNP HQ is in TN. Catalooche Valley is in NC. map
11/16/2013 06:29:32 PM · #21
Originally posted by karmat:

I will read the rest of this thread in a minute, but I want to point out one glaringly large, annoying error.

Cataloochee Valley is NOT in TN (thought it is very close) and is definitely not in Gatlinburg. It is in NC, near Maggie Valley.

It's just bad syntax: The PARK is headquartered in Gatlinburg, TN, but its total expanse includes NC as well. They're saying the valley's in the park, which it is, and they're identifying the park as being "in Tennessee" based on its address-of-record, which isn't entirely accurate of course.

11/16/2013 05:02:05 PM · #22
Originally posted by Kelli:

We still have monkey bars in NJ.

Are you saying I can belly-up and get a drink in the company of free-range monkeys? On my way.
11/16/2013 04:57:55 PM · #23
Originally posted by Bear_Music:

Originally posted by hahn23:

I suspect the photographer was baiting the spike, maybe with sugar cubes, for example. Or, possibly someone fed this spike in the past. That baiting experience usually wrecks the future of a wild animal.


Here's what the photographer had to say:

Originally posted by elk photographer:

A North Carolina photographer dove headfirst, literally, into his assignment when he came face-to-face with an elk.

James York was photographing elk at sunrise in the Cataloochee Valley of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in Gatlinburg, Tenn., when one of the elk on which he had his lens focused approached him.

"He came up peacefully enough," York said. "I was hoping he might just take a little sniff and move away but he didn't."
Instead, the elk began nuzzling York, sniffing at his leg and forcefully nudging his antlers into York's head, which York did his best to keep down.

"I'm thinking, 'Don't show him fear,'" York said. "He was prancing and digging his hoofs in the ground and then bouncing back and forth and lowering his horns down and coming at me fairly aggressive."

A fellow photographer, Vince Camiolo, captured York's nearly seven-minute encounter with the elk on his own video camera and posted it to YouTube.

"He has his head cocked to the side and his horns are down and his eye is locked right on me," York said of the encounter.

After about five minutes, York stands up and the elk backs away, only to continue staring down York in a sort of standoff. As the elk continues to approach and then back away from York, a white SUV slowly approaches and York eventually hops in, leaving his camera bag behind.

As the elk starts to bite into the camera bag, the SUV drives forward close enough to scare the elk away and York comes out of the car to retrieve his bag.


I will read the rest of this thread in a minute, but I want to point out one glaringly large, annoying error.

Cataloochee Valley is NOT in TN (thought it is very close) and is definitely not in Gatlinburg. It is in NC, near Maggie Valley.
11/16/2013 02:28:16 PM · #24
We still have monkey bars in NJ.
11/16/2013 01:13:01 PM · #25
Originally posted by Cory:


As for the photographer's 'foolish behavior'... I'm not sure why you're still going on about that - even the park rangers are on record saying he did nothing wrong, other than perhaps not retreating quite quickly enough.


The park rangers are wrong. The idiot photographer should have moved back as the spike approached. Sitting on the ground with legs crossed and concealing his eyes with camouflage hat really confused the spike. The photographer simply had to stand up, wave his arms and make noise. He could have saved that elk… at least from being killed due to this encounter. The episode could have been, and should have been, prevented. I don't like the portrayal of the photographer as some kind of hero for surviving the elk "attack". There was nothing heroic or brave about what he did. As Ron White says, "You can't fix stupid." I sincerely hope the message gets out that it is dead wrong for photographers to sit down on the ground in that situation. The idiot was trying to get a closeup portrait and he's lucky he didn't get injured. I continue to be angry about this event, because it was preventable and it will result in greater scrutiny and restriction of wildlife photographers in the future.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 01/23/2021 01:25:01 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2021 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 01/23/2021 01:25:01 PM EST.