I use Paint Shop Pro and haven't had this problem. There are a few things you have to be careful of:
1) Make sure that "Antialias" is unticked in the tools window for the selection tool and that "Feather" is set to "0".
2) Crop and resize your image to the final submission size (allowing for the width of your border - i.e. if you are using a 5px border, make sure that your image is no bigger than 630x630).
3) Set the background colour to the colour you want your border to be
4) Go to "Image", "Add Borders...", make sure that "Symmetric" is ticked, then enter the size of your border in one of the boxes and click OK.
5) If you want a double border, repeat steps 3 and 4.
I think what happened in your case was that "Antialias" was on when you cropped and the background colour was black. Therefore, PSP antialiased the edge of the image to black, effectively half-toning the outermost pixel of the image, creating a third border.
Message edited by author 2003-01-20 11:30:01.