DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Current Challenge >> My RESOLUTION is to SCORE big in the NEW YEAR!
Pages:  
Showing posts 26 - 50 of 69, (reverse)
AuthorThread
01/10/2013 11:42:09 AM · #26
Yup, something fishy is going on.

It seems to happen in the mornings... haven't narrowed it down to a day of the week yet.
01/10/2013 11:44:51 AM · #27
Happened to me also.
Looks like someone just 1'd everybody.
01/10/2013 11:45:54 AM · #28
Originally posted by nygold:

Happened to me also.
Looks like someone just 1'd everybody.


It's more than just 1 bombers
01/10/2013 11:51:32 AM · #29
Originally posted by PennyStreet:

Originally posted by nygold:

Happened to me also.
Looks like someone just 1'd everybody.


It's more than just 1 bombers
Oh no, real voters!
I haven't voted, so don't blame me just yet.
01/10/2013 11:57:46 AM · #30
me too...

from 6.2 to 5.85 in really few votes...

i'd like to know who gives these 1, but especially because it does.
01/10/2013 11:59:41 AM · #31
Looks like I got a 1 too. Ehh
01/10/2013 12:03:18 PM · #32
No problem... if everyone gets a 1 things don't change :)
01/10/2013 12:05:44 PM · #33
Originally posted by Alexkc:

No problem... if everyone gets a 1 things don't change :)


true, then I'm going now to put 1 to all, so we are all equal! ;)
01/10/2013 12:07:01 PM · #34
Originally posted by GiorgioBaruffi:

Originally posted by Alexkc:

No problem... if everyone gets a 1 things don't change :)


true, then I'm going now to put 1 to all, so we are all equal! ;)


Good idea I'll be right back.
01/10/2013 12:08:18 PM · #35
Originally posted by Alexkc:

No problem... if everyone gets a 1 things don't change :)
Absolute score changes, which we've argued about before, but rankings do not. So for the purposes of the challenge, the results are unchanged unless they missed some people in voting.

Side note: Many challenges ago I only voted using either 1 or 10, wanted to see if the votes got scrubbed, they did not. Did it for four or five challenges in a row, they all remained. By the way, that's a completely valid methodology of voting before anyone complains.
01/10/2013 12:11:24 PM · #36
Originally posted by GiorgioBaruffi:

true, then I'm going now to put 1 to all, so we are all equal! ;)


No, ti prego :)
01/10/2013 12:12:52 PM · #37
Originally posted by Alexkc:

Originally posted by GiorgioBaruffi:

true, then I'm going now to put 1 to all, so we are all equal! ;)


No, ti prego :)


va beh, dimmi quale è la tua che ti do un 2! :D
01/10/2013 12:14:57 PM · #38
Originally posted by GiorgioBaruffi:

Originally posted by Alexkc:

Originally posted by GiorgioBaruffi:

true, then I'm going now to put 1 to all, so we are all equal! ;)


No, ti prego :)


va beh, dimmi quale è la tua che ti do un 2! :D


LOL!
01/10/2013 12:16:05 PM · #39
Unfair. I want a 2 too! :)
01/10/2013 12:18:06 PM · #40
Originally posted by beatabg:

Unfair. I want a 2 too! :)


Nope, it's my precious! (you should read it with Gollum's voice in your head)
01/10/2013 12:19:53 PM · #41
Originally posted by Venser:

Originally posted by Alexkc:

No problem... if everyone gets a 1 things don't change :)
Absolute score changes, which we've argued about before, but rankings do not. So for the purposes of the challenge, the results are unchanged unless they missed some people in voting.

Side note: Many challenges ago I only voted using either 1 or 10, wanted to see if the votes got scrubbed, they did not. Did it for four or five challenges in a row, they all remained. By the way, that's a completely valid methodology of voting before anyone complains.

I'm sure I don't know anything valid. However, there used to be a pattern voting detection algorithm. My understanding is that voting in a pattern is not allowed and the votes should be scrubbed. Of course, this might not be automatic. It may requre a human to observe the pattern voting and take scrubbing type action.

From a human standpoint, I think it is disingenuous to vote in an extremely bipolar manner. Certainly, a rational person would not ever believe that images are either 10s or 1s. There's no rule against being irrational, but the votes of such a person should be removed as those votes punish and reward in an unbalanced way. In other words, pattern voting disrupts challenge results. I feel the same way about casting a vote of 5 on all images. Same kind of pattern voting.

edited to correct spelling

Message edited by author 2013-01-10 12:21:48.
01/10/2013 12:24:56 PM · #42
Originally posted by Venser:



Side note: Many challenges ago I only voted using either 1 or 10, wanted to see if the votes got scrubbed, they did not. Did it for four or five challenges in a row, they all remained. By the way, that's a completely valid methodology of voting before anyone complains.


And may you tell us how you know for sure your votes didn't get scrubbed?
01/10/2013 12:25:22 PM · #43
Originally posted by Venser:

Side note: Many challenges ago I only voted using either 1 or 10, wanted to see if the votes got scrubbed, they did not. Did it for four or five challenges in a row, they all remained. By the way, that's a completely valid methodology of voting before anyone complains.


It didn't scrub results but I think it could. With a 1 you could lose up to 0.1 in challenges with few voters (not an accurate statistic, but you know what I mean) and an oscillation between 1 and 10 is significant.
01/10/2013 01:43:09 PM · #44
Originally posted by hahn23:

From a human standpoint, I think it is disingenuous to vote in an extremely bipolar manner.
I agree, I only did it for about a week. Pretty sure I was on vacation in the Bahamas. Curiosity was piqued if it would go through or not. I just checked and those votes are still showing up. There was discussion in one of the scoring threads and I just had to know. My understanding is that if votes are scrubbed, you can't see your vote anymore.

Originally posted by hahn23:

There's no rule against being irrational, but the votes of such a person should be removed as those votes punish and reward in an unbalanced way. In other words, pattern voting disrupts challenge results. I feel the same way about casting a vote of 5 on all images. Same kind of pattern voting.
Define unbalanced? It's completely valid and if someone wanted to vote in that manner, I would defend them because mathematically it still works out.

I've referenced the book Gaming The Vote many times; it's a worthwhile read. Essentially the system at DPC, with a sliding scale, is the fairest of them all regardless of the actions of an individual voters.
01/10/2013 01:45:01 PM · #45
Originally posted by Alexkc:

It didn't scrub results but I think it could. With a 1 you could lose up to 0.1 in challenges with few voters (not an accurate statistic, but you know what I mean) and an oscillation between 1 and 10 is significant.
Sure it is. Get more voters to rectify the situation, not punish the voter. The onus of satisfying the central limit theorem shouldn't be with the voter.
01/10/2013 01:49:22 PM · #46
For some reason this discussion is making my score go down and down and down. I hope the voters aren't trying new ideas to test the scrubber.
01/10/2013 01:50:25 PM · #47
Originally posted by MNet:

For some reason this discussion is making my score go down and down and down. I hope the voters aren't trying new ideas to test the scrubber.


my same thought! ;-)
01/10/2013 01:53:30 PM · #48
Originally posted by MNet:

For some reason this discussion is making my score go down and down and down. I hope the voters aren't trying new ideas to test the scrubber.
Ahh yes, the nefarious sheeple voters. Read something Venser writes in the forums and off they cliff they jump together.

Don't see it happening.
01/10/2013 02:10:32 PM · #49
Originally posted by Venser:



Side note: Many challenges ago I only voted using either 1 or 10, wanted to see if the votes got scrubbed, they did not. Did it for four or five challenges in a row, they all remained. By the way, that's a completely valid methodology of voting before anyone complains.


How did you determine which entries to vote a 1 or a 10? Was it random? In my opinion, that was an attempt to disrupt the voting system to see if the votes would get scrubbed, which is clearly against the voting rules. Why would you consider DPC your own little math experiment? Scratching my head again.
01/10/2013 02:20:24 PM · #50
Originally posted by Dennisheckman:

Originally posted by Venser:



Side note: Many challenges ago I only voted using either 1 or 10, wanted to see if the votes got scrubbed, they did not. Did it for four or five challenges in a row, they all remained. By the way, that's a completely valid methodology of voting before anyone complains.


How did you determine which entries to vote a 1 or a 10? Was it random? In my opinion, that was an attempt to disrupt the voting system to see if the votes would get scrubbed, which is clearly against the voting rules. Why would you consider DPC your own little math experiment? Scratching my head again.

+1 to Dennis' comments.

Venser, you may want to advise your TPL teammates that your voting pattern may be a violation of the voting rules. It could take your whole team out, because I think the votes cast by TPL teams will be checked for deviatiions from norm. Of course, it's none of my business, but I think out of fairness your teammates should know what their teammate is doing.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 12/02/2020 06:56:34 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 12/02/2020 06:56:34 AM EST.