DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Rant >> Is this hypocrisy?
Pages:   ...
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 1154, (reverse)
AuthorThread
01/03/2013 05:40:15 AM · #1
The first video is a PSA of celebs who are asking for better gun control laws. It's a serious piece:
The Serious Video

and then there's this video, which is a 'parody' of the above video showing the celebs in movies and shows where they are using guns, being violent and making fun of gun use in some cases.
The 'Parody' Video (There is some violence, so if you have kids or are at work, it may not be entirely work safe.

hypocrisy? Some are saying definitely yes...myself I say no, not at all. My opinion is that there's room for violence in creating art, comedy, action etc. Some go 'overboard' some are very creative, but I still think it all falls within the realm of fiction and that normal people know this. Now, had the parody video show actual acts of violence committed by the celebs in the video, that would've been hypocrisy. Having Steve Carell's character from The Office pull out a couple of handguns and shoot at some randomly...I don't see that as being a hypocrite.

Anybody with an opinion on these videos?
01/03/2013 07:20:54 AM · #2
At a fundamental level, I think it's hypocritical, yes. If "celebrities" put their money where their mouths are at, and refused to act these roles, THAT would be meaningful.
01/03/2013 07:40:08 AM · #3
i dont know. There has always been a correlation to violence on tv and video games and violence in society however no scientific link has ever been established.

Acting out so that others can experience fantasy on the screen isn't the same thing as reality.

it would be hypocritical if the owned lots of guns and called for more gun control.
01/03/2013 09:03:55 AM · #4
Originally posted by mike_311:

There has always been a correlation to violence on tv and video games and violence in society however no scientific link has ever been established.
There's correlation of less violence in society, especially at a teenage age since the advent of the modern video game system. There's no causal links yet, but there is definitely a downward trend.

01/03/2013 09:18:06 AM · #5
Unlike the NRA types... Maybe they can tell the difference between the movies and real life.
01/03/2013 09:19:37 AM · #6
Originally posted by robs:

Unlike the NRA types... Maybe they can tell the difference between the movies and real life.


What's an "NRA type"?
01/03/2013 09:34:55 AM · #7
Originally posted by cgino:

What's an "NRA type"?

National Rifle Association, in other words, the average U.S. gun owner.

The NRA at one time was more like a club or organization of people with similar interests. Now it has become a political organization whose mission seems to be to promote easy access to guns. It is very powerful.

Message edited by author 2013-01-03 09:39:01.
01/03/2013 09:36:32 AM · #8
Originally posted by Yo_Spiff:

Originally posted by cgino:

What's an "NRA type"?

National Rifle Association, in other words, the average U.S. gun owner.

The NRA at one time was more like a club or organization of people with similar interests. Now it has become a political organization whose mission seems to be to promote easy access to guns. It is very powerful.


Thanks, I know what the NRA is :-) Just wondering what robs definition of an "NRA type" was...
01/03/2013 09:39:07 AM · #9
I do not own any guns. I was on the fence on the issue for a while, but after the recent school shooting, I have come down on the side of believing we need some restrictions. Taking guns away is not going to happen, and I do not pretend to have the answer, but the idea of more guns in more hands does not make me feel safer at all. It just means the nutjobs will have an easier time finding a gun when they want one.
01/03/2013 09:39:26 AM · #10
Well... An organisation that advocates armed guards patrolling schools as a solution :-)
01/03/2013 09:41:22 AM · #11
Originally posted by cgino:

Originally posted by Yo_Spiff:

Originally posted by cgino:

What's an "NRA type"?

National Rifle Association, in other words, the average U.S. gun owner.

The NRA at one time was more like a club or organization of people with similar interests. Now it has become a political organization whose mission seems to be to promote easy access to guns. It is very powerful.


Thanks, I know what the NRA is :-) Just wondering what robs definition of an "NRA type" was...


folks who think that the gun control is bad thing and not even worth considering.
01/03/2013 09:41:28 AM · #12
Originally posted by robs:

Well... An organisation that advocates armed guards patrolling schools as a solution :-)

Didn't they also suggest arming teachers? Sure, put more guns into the hands of marginally trained people. What happens when it is one of the teachers that snaps, and shoots his/her class?
01/03/2013 09:44:08 AM · #13
Originally posted by Yo_Spiff:

Originally posted by robs:

Well... An organisation that advocates armed guards patrolling schools as a solution :-)

Didn't they also suggest arming teachers? Sure, put more guns into the hands of marginally trained people. What happens when it is one of the teachers that snaps, and shoots his/her class?


duh, we arm the students.
01/03/2013 09:45:02 AM · #14
Originally posted by mike_311:

folks who think that the gun control is bad thing and not even worth considering.

I've gotten into the debate with a cycling friend who only believes more guns and fewer restrictions are the solution. Anything that tries to restrict guns is painted as the precursor to a socialist takeover.

I'm interested in seeing what the general feeling is among my photography contacts.
01/03/2013 09:46:40 AM · #15
Originally posted by mike_311:

duh, we arm the students.

The obvious solution. Everybody needs to pack. Yup, that'll make us all safe.
01/03/2013 09:46:56 AM · #16
Thank you all for the clarification ;-)
01/03/2013 09:47:46 AM · #17
Originally posted by Yo_Spiff:

I'm interested in seeing what the general feeling is among my photography contacts.
Hasn't this been discussed to death here?
01/03/2013 09:48:22 AM · #18
Originally posted by Yo_Spiff:

Originally posted by mike_311:

folks who think that the gun control is bad thing and not even worth considering.

I've gotten into the debate with a cycling friend who only believes more guns and fewer restrictions are the solution. Anything that tries to restrict guns is painted as the precursor to a socialist takeover.

I'm interested in seeing what the general feeling is among my photography contacts.


that's problem number one. gun restrictions have zero to do with socialism, its not even the same issue.

Message edited by author 2013-01-03 09:48:51.
01/03/2013 09:50:04 AM · #19
Originally posted by Venser:

Originally posted by Yo_Spiff:

I'm interested in seeing what the general feeling is among my photography contacts.
Hasn't this been discussed to death here?


its in rant so not everyone sees it.
01/03/2013 09:58:02 AM · #20
There is NO solution in this country while talking about gun control.... The NRA lobby is too well funded and organised and hides behind freedom and all that crap (much to the disgrace of the silent majority... I've just stopped been so silent).

I firmly believe the ONLY possible path is restriction on ammunition.... EVEN Israel has a restriction on how many bullets civilians are allowed to own.

I also believe that private sales of guns need to be ban and all sales be funneled thru a licensed gun dealer so that both side of the txn are from registered owners (it's a pretty small step that MIGHT be possible).
01/03/2013 10:04:55 AM · #21
Originally posted by Venser:

Hasn't this been discussed to death here?

No doubt, but I stayed out of that discussion.

Originally posted by mike_311:

that's problem number one. gun restrictions have zero to do with socialism, its not even the same issue.

Gun proponents link the two together with quotes from historical figures, such as Hitler. They feel the gun control people want to totally ban personal ownership of guns and that it is the first step in an evil takeover.

Both sides primarily use emotional appeals.
01/03/2013 10:16:12 AM · #22
Originally posted by robs:

There is NO solution in this country while talking about gun control.... The NRA lobby is too well funded and organised and hides behind freedom and all that crap (much to the disgrace of the silent majority... I've just stopped been so silent).

I firmly believe the ONLY possible path is restriction on ammunition.... EVEN Israel has a restriction on how many bullets civilians are allowed to own.

I also believe that private sales of guns need to be ban and all sales be funneled thru a licensed gun dealer so that both side of the txn are from registered owners (it's a pretty small step that MIGHT be possible).


i agree with you. i was talking with my brother-in-law (former military and now teacher and his father is avid NRA member and former cop) and his point was , we have gun restrictions, but he said something like 80% of guns are bought at gun shows, circumventing the laws in place.

lets close up the loopholes place some restriction on ammunition enact some stiffer penalties and see where its leads to. we have consistently had more and more guns in our hands and gun violence has increased steadily in that time, so its apparent to be that continuing to add more guns isn't the answer.

Message edited by author 2013-01-03 10:17:01.
01/03/2013 10:20:48 AM · #23
I was thinking of the idea of large numbers of people in favor of gun control joining the NRA in order to influence it. It would take a lot, but it's a thought.
01/03/2013 10:25:57 AM · #24
Originally posted by mike_311:

lets close up the loopholes place some restriction on ammunition enact some stiffer penalties and see where its leads to. we have consistently had more and more guns in our hands and gun violence has increased steadily in that time, so its apparent to be that continuing to add more guns isn't the answer.

One argument offered by gun proponents has been that criminals don't obey laws in the first place so that this would be useless. I see the point, however making guns less readily accessible might keep some of the nutjobs from casually grabbing one and going on an angry shooting spree. The hardcore criminals will always find a way to get them.
01/03/2013 10:26:18 AM · #25
Originally posted by Yo_Spiff:

I was thinking of the idea of large numbers of people in favor of gun control joining the NRA in order to influence it. It would take a lot, but it's a thought.


money talks, the solution is to create a counter lobby group.

Message edited by author 2013-01-03 10:27:32.
Pages:   ...
Current Server Time: 11/25/2020 12:33:15 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 11/25/2020 12:33:15 PM EST.