DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Challenge Suggestions >> Point and Shoot Challenge
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 22 of 22, (reverse)
AuthorThread
08/24/2004 05:53:40 PM · #1
Let's have a free study challenge where only point and shoot cameras are allowed. No camera with any priority or manual modes may be used.
08/24/2004 05:59:12 PM · #2
that would be interesting :)
08/24/2004 06:03:01 PM · #3
Well that's me out. I haven't got one!
08/24/2004 06:04:38 PM · #4
Why?

And are we also going to limit focal length?

Some point and shoots are fixed, others have zoom.
08/24/2004 06:04:46 PM · #5
So, this is P&S and not prosumer? mega pixel limit? maybe we should have a pinhole comp?

John, I think you are playing devils advocate and I reckon if you take peeps 10D's 300D's D70's (or whatever) away and give them a 'low range' 2mp cam the top fotogs will still do well. Oh, and a basic challenge as well. I do remember a thread with excellent sub 2mp pictures. So, for the third time tonight (jeez) a high end prosumer or dSLR will help peeps take better pic in wider conditions but its the fotog not the cam that takes great pictures.

* 2 cents is a little over a penny*
08/24/2004 06:06:32 PM · #6
Originally posted by Ecce Signum:

So, this is P&S and not prosumer? mega pixel limit? maybe we should have a pinhole comp?

John, I think you are playing devils advocate and I reckon if you take peeps 10D's 300D's D70's (or whatever) away and give them a 'low range' 2mp cam the top fotogs will still do well. Oh, and a basic challenge as well. I do remember a thread with excellent sub 2mp pictures. So, for the third time tonight (jeez) a high end prosumer or dSLR will help peeps take better pic in wider conditions but its the fotog not the cam that takes great pictures.

* 2 cents is a little over a penny*


the photographer takes great photos...but the camera helps
08/24/2004 06:08:08 PM · #7
Originally posted by Ecce Signum:

John, I think you are playing devils advocate ...


Yep, I'm thinking he's just funnin'...
08/24/2004 06:12:16 PM · #8
Originally posted by elsapo:

Originally posted by Ecce Signum:

So, this is P&S and not prosumer? mega pixel limit? maybe we should have a pinhole comp?

John, I think you are playing devils advocate and I reckon if you take peeps 10D's 300D's D70's (or whatever) away and give them a 'low range' 2mp cam the top fotogs will still do well. Oh, and a basic challenge as well. I do remember a thread with excellent sub 2mp pictures. So, for the third time tonight (jeez) a high end prosumer or dSLR will help peeps take better pic in wider conditions but its the fotog not the cam that takes great pictures.

* 2 cents is a little over a penny*


the photographer takes great photos...but the camera helps


Definately Oliver, as I said this is the third time tonight I have mentioned this and I did say that in my other two posts - getting lazy (or tired)
08/24/2004 07:20:12 PM · #9
Even my point and shoot has a manual mode... Zzz
08/24/2004 07:43:14 PM · #10
I like this idea...I recently reaccquainted myself to my Fuji...actually was quite pleased with the outcome of my feet challenge done with that old camera.

As for pinhole cameras...oh that could be fun too...hehehe I can see me now taking my argus out and using it again and praying the batteries don't die til I get the photos downloaded.
08/24/2004 08:00:14 PM · #11
Originally posted by Kavey:

Originally posted by Ecce Signum:

John, I think you are playing devils advocate ...


Yep, I'm thinking he's just funnin'...


I'm not either. I know this challenge won't happen but I am completely supportive of the idea of it.
08/24/2004 08:01:23 PM · #12
Originally posted by Kavey:

Why?

And are we also going to limit focal length?

Some point and shoots are fixed, others have zoom.


Focal length has nothing to do with it.. Just the creative control of aperture/shutter priority and manual modes...
08/24/2004 08:38:50 PM · #13
Seeing as I have no manual settings at all on this camera, I'd LOVE to see this challenge happen!

If it really is the photographer and not the camera that makes the difference, then this challenge would prove that, would it not?

edit: Actually, my camera only has one manual setting... it's the on/off button. *snicker*

Message edited by author 2004-08-24 21:00:23.
08/24/2004 08:40:19 PM · #14
Originally posted by ggbudge:

Seeing as I have no manual settings at all on this camera, I'd LOVE to see this challenge happen!

If it really is the photographer and not the camera that makes the difference, then this challenge would prove that, would it not?


It would prove that good photographers can work with whatever u give them.
08/24/2004 08:40:49 PM · #15
I'd certainly be up for it! *pets his point and shoot*
08/24/2004 08:43:29 PM · #16
id have to go buy a point and shoot...hmmm..not a bad idea. I took some really awesome portraits using nothing more than a point and shoot and light from an overhead dental chair before. What will our subject of the challenge be?
08/24/2004 08:44:01 PM · #17
Heck, the point and shoot settings are a lot easier to use. I'm not sure what the point of this would be. Is it just to "even" the playing field?
08/24/2004 08:44:51 PM · #18
How about if any camera was allowed as long as it was in "fully auto" mode? It seems like that would still meet the spirit of the suggestion and could be verified by exif tags.
08/24/2004 08:45:25 PM · #19
I'm all for this and I think it would be a welcome departure from the spic and span of the usual ribbon winner. Now lesse...should I use my camera phone or my Viewsonic PDA?
08/24/2004 08:45:40 PM · #20
Originally posted by Gringo:

Heck, the point and shoot settings are a lot easier to use. I'm not sure what the point of this would be. Is it just to "even" the playing field?


Oh, I doubt it.. just a bit of fun. Y'all can have an SLR-off too if'n y'all wanna ;)
08/24/2004 08:51:41 PM · #21
My camera has so many hidden auto adjustment settings, I don't know what the point of this would be at all. I would need to completely re-learn my camera at the new Zero settings. even then I'd run the risk of missing some.

I think a non SLR challenge would be interesting to see.
I'd borrow a camera for that just to see how it goes.
08/24/2004 08:53:22 PM · #22
Oh the agony. My humble little A40 has long been derided as being "only a point and shoot". But under these criteria, its "too advanced", with its manual mode. That poor little camera just can't get a break.

:)
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 03/01/2024 03:05:04 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2024 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Current Server Time: 03/01/2024 03:05:04 PM EST.