DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Current Challenge >> Minimal Editing Trees Challenge
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 54, (reverse)
AuthorThread
10/08/2012 08:06:35 AM · #1
So, I went back and reviewed the minimal editing rule set...
it says we can use any in camera feature, with the exception of combining multiple captures in camera, correct?

so if I was to use the selective color feature, or soft focus feature, etc... those would be acceptable, right?

just thought I'd check before I start shooting. :)
10/08/2012 08:09:52 AM · #2
Originally posted by Denielle:

So, I went back and reviewed the minimal editing rule set...
it says we can use any in camera feature, with the exception of combining multiple captures in camera, correct?

so if I was to use the selective color feature, or soft focus feature, etc... those would be acceptable, right?

just thought I'd check before I start shooting. :)

Any camera feature you select and use must be done prior to hitting the shutter release. Any in camera editing post exposure is grounds for DQ. And you cannot crop, rotate to fix horizons, etc. at all.

Any feature that increases contrast, saturation, sharpens or softens the image that is done prior to hitting the exposure button should be okay. Just don't forget to shoot in JPEG.

Message edited by author 2012-10-08 08:13:16.
10/08/2012 08:12:09 AM · #3
Originally posted by bassbone:

Originally posted by Denielle:

So, I went back and reviewed the minimal editing rule set...
it says we can use any in camera feature, with the exception of combining multiple captures in camera, correct?

so if I was to use the selective color feature, or soft focus feature, etc... those would be acceptable, right?

just thought I'd check before I start shooting. :)

Any camera feature you select and use must be done prior to hitting the shutter release. Any in camera editing post exposure is grounds for DQ. And you cannot crop, rotate to fix horizons, etc. at all.


just making sure before I go out for this challenge.
thanks!
10/14/2012 11:07:50 AM · #4
Some things that helped:

1. Cleaned sensor to remove dust bunnies.
2. Remembered to allow for the sensor capturing more than the 95% viewfinder view. (check the edges)
3. Shot in JPG
4. Used my double-bubble level on hot-shoe to square the scene.
5. Referenced DOFmaster to make sure the DOF was as intended.
6. Tripod mount and shutter release cable
7. Dusted lens front element with soft camel brush to remove dust particles.
10/14/2012 11:11:41 AM · #5
Originally posted by hahn23:

Some things that helped:

1. Cleaned sensor to remove dust bunnies.
2. Remembered to allow for the sensor capturing more than the 95% viewfinder view. (check the edges)
3. Shot in JPG
4. Used my double-bubble level on hot-shoe to square the scene.
5. Referenced DOFmaster to make sure the DOF was as intended.
6. Tripod mount and shutter release cable
7. Dusted lens front element with soft camel brush to remove dust particles.


Good tips...but you forgot a few. Look for great light, a good subject, and good colors, and get a ticket to the Rocky Mountains to capture the Aspens in full glory.

Unfortunately, I have have been busy at work this week and the daylight is being lost very quickly, so no time to shoot. And today is blustery and overcast, not a good combination for tree shots and minimal.

Message edited by author 2012-10-14 11:15:42.
10/14/2012 11:30:05 AM · #6
Originally posted by hahn23:

Some things that helped:
3. Shot in JPG

Ughghgh, did this twice now. Went out yesterday morning and did everything else except this one thing. I honestly never touch this setting on my camera. It's always RAW, and that's it.

Unfortunately I paced some elite women in a marathon today and don't really feel like leaving the house for the rest of the day.
10/14/2012 11:47:59 AM · #7
Originally posted by Venser:

Originally posted by hahn23:

Some things that helped:
3. Shot in JPG

Ughghgh, did this twice now. Went out yesterday morning and did everything else except this one thing. I honestly never touch this setting on my camera. It's always RAW, and that's it.

Unfortunately I paced some elite women in a marathon today and don't really feel like leaving the house for the rest of the day.


BWHWHAHAHAHAAH~!
10/14/2012 02:16:10 PM · #8
Originally posted by hahn23:

Some things that helped:

1. Cleaned sensor to remove dust bunnies.
2. Remembered to allow for the sensor capturing more than the 95% viewfinder view. (check the edges)
3. Shot in JPG
4. Used my double-bubble level on hot-shoe to square the scene.
5. Referenced DOFmaster to make sure the DOF was as intended.
6. Tripod mount and shutter release cable
7. Dusted lens front element with soft camel brush to remove dust particles.


boy are you gonna be peeved if some blurry but beautiful mess wins ;-)
10/14/2012 02:26:44 PM · #9
Originally posted by bassbone:

...
Unfortunately, I have have been busy at work this week and the daylight is being lost very quickly, so no time to shoot. And today is blustery and overcast, not a good combination for tree shots and minimal.


Ditto here, let's see who gets the brown :)
10/14/2012 03:22:07 PM · #10
Originally posted by skewsme:

Originally posted by hahn23:

Some things that helped:

1. Cleaned sensor to remove dust bunnies.
2. Remembered to allow for the sensor capturing more than the 95% viewfinder view. (check the edges)
3. Shot in JPG
4. Used my double-bubble level on hot-shoe to square the scene.
5. Referenced DOFmaster to make sure the DOF was as intended.
6. Tripod mount and shutter release cable
7. Dusted lens front element with soft camel brush to remove dust particles.


boy are you gonna be peeved if some blurry but beautiful mess wins ;-)

"Becoming peeved" about challenge outcomes is not part of my personality. I can appreciate a blurry, beautiful mess as much as anyone. ;-) I wasn't trying to proselytize for a certain "style", but I understand how one could interpret an implied style preference from my list of techniques that helped me. Certainly, there are a whole host of creative approaches to this challenge emphasizing camera skills. (btw, my image is way below average and I expect it to be a sub 5.)

Message edited by author 2012-10-14 15:22:45.
10/14/2012 03:34:50 PM · #11
Good checklist, though I've never heard of DOFmaster before. Also fwiw I shoot for Minimal in RAW and jpg in case I want to do something with the RAW.
10/14/2012 03:42:17 PM · #12
Originally posted by snaffles:

Good checklist, though I've never heard of DOFmaster before. Also fwiw I shoot for Minimal in RAW and jpg in case I want to do something with the RAW.

//dofmaster.com
10/14/2012 03:56:04 PM · #13
minimal ruleset states

You may:
-sharpen your entry using your editing software’s “sharpen” or equivalent option. The use of customizable sharpening tools, such as Unsharp Mask, is not allowed.

anyone have an opinon if using the software’s “sharpen” or equivalent option more than once be acceptable?

-m
10/14/2012 04:10:39 PM · #14
I don't think there is a limit implied in the rule set. Sharpen upon viewing, sharpen it twice while you're thinking about it and sharpen again upon resize for web. Then sharpen until you get the jaggies if you want!! Sharpen looks to be unlimited!

Message edited by author 2012-10-14 16:11:16.
10/14/2012 04:30:47 PM · #15
Originally posted by EL-ROI:

I don't think there is a limit implied in the rule set. Sharpen upon viewing, sharpen it twice while you're thinking about it and sharpen again upon resize for web. Then sharpen until you get the jaggies if you want!! Sharpen looks to be unlimited!


You are allowed to sharpen more than once. But I believe there is a limitation in when it applied. From past challenges I believe sharpening the full res image and the final web sized image are legal. But you are not allowed to reduce the size of the image to an intermediate size (for example 1600 pixel), apply sharpening and then save for web.

Message edited by author 2012-10-14 17:36:36.
10/14/2012 05:21:32 PM · #16
Originally posted by bassbone:

Originally posted by EL-ROI:

I don't think there is a limit implied in the rule set. Sharpen upon viewing, sharpen it twice while you're thinking about it and sharpen again upon resize for web. Then sharpen until you get the jaggies if you want!! Sharpen looks to be unlimited!


You are allowed to sharpen more than once. But I believe there is a limitation in when it applied. From past challenges I believe sharpening the full res image and the final web sized image are legal. But you are not allowed to reduce the size of the age to an intermediate size (1600 pixel) apply sharpening and then save for web.


my plan was to sharpen several times on the full res image, then resize once and save for dpc. if i understand your comment, then you are referring to multiple resizing steps (in your example, 2), which is not allowed, and which i am not planning to do.

-m
10/14/2012 06:05:55 PM · #17
resize image only once???? soooo I have to take the origional to 5600 to 300 and sharpen only once???? sooo cornfuzed. never entered a miminal but got a shot today that actually looks darn good with out no fooling around....
10/14/2012 06:06:59 PM · #18
Originally posted by littlemav:

resize image only once???? soooo I have to take the origional to 5600 to 300 and sharpen only once???? sooo cornfuzed. never entered a miminal but got a shot today that actually looks darn good with out no fooling around....

You can only resize the image once - with 800 pixels on the long side.
10/14/2012 06:13:18 PM · #19
Originally posted by bassbone:

Originally posted by littlemav:

resize image only once???? soooo I have to take the origional to 5600 to 300 and sharpen only once???? sooo cornfuzed. never entered a miminal but got a shot today that actually looks darn good with out no fooling around....

You can only resize the image once - with 800 pixels on the long side.


Agreed - this is what the rules state:

You May
- resize your entry once.
- sharpen your entry using your editing software’s “sharpen” or equivalent option. The use of customizable sharpening tools, such as Unsharp Mask, is not allowed.

It clearly states resize once only - it does not state the same for sharpen.


Message edited by author 2012-10-14 18:13:57.
10/14/2012 06:22:04 PM · #20
BUT.... if you resize and then save for web, isn't saving for web a resizing of the shot? So I guess I should've ask more specific, Can you resize the shot and then save for web OR.... can you only save for web???
10/14/2012 06:26:28 PM · #21
Originally posted by littlemav:

BUT.... if you resize and then save for web, isn't saving for web a resizing of the shot? So I guess I should've ask more specific, Can you resize the shot and then save for web OR.... can you only save for web???


You can only resize once, no matter how it's done. If you want to save for web as you last step, make sure you do your one resize step first, so that all the Save for Web step will do is change the compression.
10/14/2012 06:38:27 PM · #22
Originally posted by kirbic:

Originally posted by littlemav:

BUT.... if you resize and then save for web, isn't saving for web a resizing of the shot? So I guess I should've ask more specific, Can you resize the shot and then save for web OR.... can you only save for web???


You can only resize once, no matter how it's done. If you want to save for web as you last step, make sure you do your one resize step first, so that all the Save for Web step will do is change the compression.


Got ya.... Thanks!!
10/14/2012 06:43:38 PM · #23
Well, I entered.
10/14/2012 07:06:56 PM · #24
I entered...
10/14/2012 07:23:16 PM · #25
Originally posted by Venser:

Originally posted by hahn23:

Some things that helped:
3. Shot in JPG

Ughghgh, did this twice now. Went out yesterday morning and did everything else except this one thing. I honestly never touch this setting on my camera. It's always RAW, and that's it.
Just came back and this time I didn't screw it up, at least the settings. The photo itself, well that remains to be determined.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 11/26/2020 02:17:04 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 11/26/2020 02:17:04 PM EST.