DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> General Discussion >> is dpc dying
Pages:  
Showing posts 101 - 125 of 189, (reverse)
AuthorThread
09/02/2012 02:49:15 PM · #101
Originally posted by Cory:

snip...I'm a bit too controversial ...snip


noooooooooo :D
09/02/2012 04:50:53 PM · #102
Originally posted by Digipixer:

An odd number is needed to break ties in SC voting--7, Bear would be a good tie breaker.


If a tie needs to be broken the rule needs to be changed or eliminated.
09/02/2012 05:04:14 PM · #103
Originally posted by David Ey:

Originally posted by Digipixer:

An odd number is needed to break ties in SC voting--7, Bear would be a good tie breaker.


If a tie needs to be broken the rule needs to be changed or eliminated.

No worries we are all quite odd enough already that the actual count doesn't often matter ... ;-)
09/02/2012 05:19:20 PM · #104
Originally posted by Art Roflmao:

Originally posted by Bear_Music:

Originally posted by Cory:

Yes, and we all owe them our gratitude for that. Still, I do think they need a few more faces.


I have the time, the expertise, and the desire to help out, but I'm apparently not what they are looking for :-(

I applied, but failed the drug screening. :(

Seriously, I'm going on a hunger strike until bear is put on the SC.

...You have one hour...


I applied the last time they added SC members as well. But they went with other members, who as it turns out some of them moved on and don't bother with it any longer.

09/02/2012 05:40:09 PM · #105
The vast majority of the SC have moved on so surely replacements should be sought.

Change here is like trying to manoeuvre a cruise liner.
09/02/2012 06:03:05 PM · #106
Originally posted by Jon_H:

The vast majority of the SC have moved on so surely replacements should be sought.

Change here is like trying to manoeuvre a cruise liner.


I watch them maneuver cruise ships all the time...

DPC is MUCH slower than any ship I've ever seen. ;)
09/02/2012 06:05:28 PM · #107
Originally posted by Cory:

DPC is MUCH slower than any ship I've ever seen. ;)

Think of trying to maneuver one of those supertankers through the Panama Canal ... slow to respond to commands and a path fraught with obstacles, and in such confined conditions tugboats are of limited usefulness ... ;-)

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/0-4999/1031/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_989133.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/0-4999/1031/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_989133.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

Message edited by author 2012-09-02 18:07:37.
09/02/2012 06:07:06 PM · #108
Think of a woman parallel parking this:
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/25000-29999/28742/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_877243.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/25000-29999/28742/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_877243.jpg', '/') + 1) . '
09/02/2012 07:02:40 PM · #109
Originally posted by Art Roflmao:

Think of a woman parallel parking this:
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/25000-29999/28742/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_877243.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/25000-29999/28742/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_877243.jpg', '/') + 1) . '


I just endured my other halfs driving, I think I cracked a tooth as I was gritting my teeth so hard.
09/02/2012 08:03:44 PM · #110
Originally posted by Art Roflmao:

Think of a woman parallel parking this:
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/25000-29999/28742/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_877243.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/25000-29999/28742/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_877243.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

Art, dear, I generally chuckle at just about everything you write and picture,
but this time? Did you miss the mark a bit?

Please remember there are a lot of women who drive school buses,
emergency equipment (including fire trucks) and very long transcontinental trucks who parallel park
perfectly adequately. do you really think a yellow Hummer such a big deal?
09/02/2012 08:08:44 PM · #111
Originally posted by sfalice:

Originally posted by Art Roflmao:

Think of a woman parallel parking this:
' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/25000-29999/28742/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_877243.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/25000-29999/28742/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_877243.jpg', '/') + 1) . '

Art, dear, I generally chuckle at just about everything you write and picture,
but this time? Did you miss the mark a bit?

Please remember there are a lot of women who drive school buses,
emergency equipment (including fire trucks) and very long transcontinental trucks who parallel park
perfectly adequately. do you really think a yellow Hummer such a big deal?

Ignore it if it doesn't apply. It's just part of my own personal war on women. ;-) joke - it's a joke. sexist, maybe, but just a joke. Go ahead and retaliate with one about men who don't ask for directions (guilty). :)
09/02/2012 08:17:12 PM · #112
Originally posted by Art Roflmao:

Originally posted by sfalice:

Originally posted by Art Roflmao:



Ignore it if it doesn't apply. It's just part of my own personal war on women. ;-) joke - it's a joke. sexist, maybe, but just a joke. Go ahead and retaliate with one about men who don't ask for directions (guilty). :)


Okay, I'll ignore it. Somehow, I missed the smiley.
I don't ask for directions either. (guilty)
but I can parallel park.
(Sorry you have that other little war.)
09/02/2012 08:21:02 PM · #113
Originally posted by sfalice:

Originally posted by Art Roflmao:

Originally posted by sfalice:

Originally posted by Art Roflmao:



Ignore it if it doesn't apply. It's just part of my own personal war on women. ;-) joke - it's a joke. sexist, maybe, but just a joke. Go ahead and retaliate with one about men who don't ask for directions (guilty). :)


Okay, I'll ignore it. Somehow, I missed the smiley.
I don't ask for directions either. (guilty)
but I can parallel park.
(Sorry you have that other little war.)

Smilies are implicit on all my posts. Unless I supersede with this >:/

Cheers, Alice. :)
09/02/2012 08:45:24 PM · #114
Didn't you schedule that surgery yet, Ken... to remove your tongue that's permanently in your cheek?

Get on that, K?

(I hear what Alice is saying... I'm a good driver. BUT, no WAY would I try to parallel park that thing!)
09/02/2012 09:03:34 PM · #115
Originally posted by GeneralE:

Originally posted by Cory:

DPC is MUCH slower than any ship I've ever seen. ;)

Think of trying to maneuver one of those supertankers through the Panama Canal ... slow to respond to commands and a path fraught with obstacles, and in such confined conditions tugboats are of limited usefulness ... ;-)

' . substr('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/0-4999/1031/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_989133.jpg', strrpos('//images.dpchallenge.com/images_portfolio/0-4999/1031/120/Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_989133.jpg', '/') + 1) . '


Kinda like the Exxon Valdez? ;-).
09/02/2012 09:14:10 PM · #116
The one in 'Waterworld'?
09/02/2012 11:18:19 PM · #117
Originally posted by Jon_H:

The SC needs to agree the process in their own best interests, Jesus had the 12 apostles, Langdon needs his 12 too, but half of the current 12 have moved on.


I think this would give DPC a good booster shot IMHO.
09/02/2012 11:54:01 PM · #118
It really does make you wonder if the site is fading away when the owner shows no interest when people start threads like this and start making plans for him on how to fix it. I have to believe he has seen these threads but it seems odd to never hear his thoughts. My membership expires tomorrow night and I will likely renew it but it makes me question if I should. Over the years I have enjoyed the site but there is always an air of discontent lately which takes its toll.
09/04/2012 08:43:22 PM · #119
If I may stir the pot just a little more. Who comes up with the challenges? Does Langdon do that, one person on the SC, multiple SC decide on it? It seems that whoever is doing it is using mostly suggestions from members which is good in a way but also another cop out to not have to put too much effort into thinking of new topics.

I know you can't please everyone but maybe someone should start a thread with burning question for SC to answer. Although GeneralE might be the only one to answer as he seems to be the most vocal and prevalent challenge participator out of all the SC. GeneralE are you running this entire site by yourself?
09/04/2012 08:47:38 PM · #120
Originally posted by SEG:

If I may stir the pot just a little more. Who comes up with the challenges? Does Langdon do that, one person on the SC, multiple SC decide on it? It seems that whoever is doing it is using mostly suggestions from members which is good in a way but also another cop out to not have to put too much effort into thinking of new topics.

I know you can't please everyone but maybe someone should start a thread with burning question for SC to answer. Although GeneralE might be the only one to answer as he seems to be the most vocal and prevalent challenge participator out of all the SC. GeneralE are you running this entire site by yourself?


all the challenge suggestions seem to be taken from site user's own suggestions in the challenge suggestions forum
09/04/2012 08:56:07 PM · #121
Originally posted by LanndonKane:



all the challenge suggestions seem to be taken from site user's own suggestions in the challenge suggestions forum


and then bastardized ;)
09/04/2012 10:28:14 PM · #122
Originally posted by mike_311:

Originally posted by LanndonKane:



all the challenge suggestions seem to be taken from site user's own suggestions in the challenge suggestions forum


and then bastardized ;)

I think it's more likely that he doesn't even bother to proofread them, but just copies and pastes the description directly from the suggestion forum. Maybe you can run through the suggestions threads and "clean up" any descriptions you find not up to your standards ...

Langdon picks the chalolenges -- SC members often participate and find out the topic the same time as everyone else.

No I don't run the site -- my participation other than lurking in the forums and entering most of the challenges is fairly minimal, but I seem to have quite a bit of free time at various times to do that ...
09/04/2012 10:41:46 PM · #123
Originally posted by GeneralE:


I think it's more likely that he doesn't even bother to proofread them, but just copies and pastes the description directly from the suggestion forum.


At one point, the SC (including yours truly) was active in transferring suggestions to the database. When we did, we were expected to review and make sure they were ready for use. Is that not happening these days?
09/04/2012 10:45:12 PM · #124
This thread is making me sad :( As a long time user for 8 years now.

Message edited by author 2012-09-04 22:45:35.
09/04/2012 10:57:57 PM · #125
Originally posted by kirbic:

Originally posted by GeneralE:


I think it's more likely that he doesn't even bother to proofread them, but just copies and pastes the description directly from the suggestion forum.


At one point, the SC (including yours truly) was active in transferring suggestions to the database. When we did, we were expected to review and make sure they were ready for use. Is that not happening these days?


From what I've seen the DB isn't used, and suggestions are pulled from threads between 1 and 3 weeks old.

-CB
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 03/28/2020 04:52:41 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 03/28/2020 04:52:41 AM EDT.