DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> General Discussion >> VEGAS! Apr 26-30
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 28, (reverse)
AuthorThread
03/30/2012 05:57:29 PM · #1
I may be coming to Vegas on the 26th.

My wife will be in a conference all wknd...I will have free time.
Who wants to hook up and be my tour guide...
Camera and flashes in tow.

Love to set something up ..maybe a group?and we can put on a light show. :)

03/30/2012 06:06:07 PM · #2
Oh, I wish... Been over 12 years since I've been to Vegas, and I miss it...
03/31/2012 11:01:39 AM · #3
Any interest?

03/31/2012 01:24:16 PM · #4
Originally posted by LVicari:

Any interest?


Only from me, and I don't count, since it's just an oh-I-wish instead of a maybe-I-can :-(

R.
03/31/2012 01:31:32 PM · #5
I just booked the trip...

Arrive 938pm Wed 25th...
Depart 7pm Sat 28th..

approx 2.5 days of free time to shoot and catch some sights.

Suggestions on good locales?

Again..I dont really gamble..so i want to explore!

Anyone with good info.. that would help

Thx
03/31/2012 01:36:02 PM · #6
I'll be in Vegas too but won't be until August. I'll keep an eye on this thread to get some ideas of what to do too since I don't gamble either.

Oh, and have fun.
03/31/2012 03:44:41 PM · #7
Bummer, will just you! -- i'll be there second week of April for a conference. Not as much free time as it sounds like you have though. I've heard Red Rocks State park is pretty interesting either as a landscape venue or as lifestyle/model photography location. I'm looking to check out some of the night scenes but don't really know where all the good places are.

Message edited by author 2012-04-01 00:20:41.
04/01/2012 05:53:26 AM · #8
Originally posted by mpeters:

Bummer, will just you! -- i'll be there second week of April for a conference. Not as much free time as it sounds like you have though. I've heard Red Rocks State park is pretty interesting either as a landscape venue or as lifestyle/model photography location. I'm looking to check out some of the night scenes but don't really know where all the good places are.


That's too bad ...was hoping our paths would cross one day.

L
04/01/2012 06:21:07 AM · #9
A few suggestions, if you are willing to drive for a few hours and explore outside the city:

Valley of Fire State Park (just over an hour drive from Vegas) -- The most realistic one to visit since the drive isn't long
Death Valley (2 and a half hour drive from Vegas)
Rhyolite Ghost Town (2 and a half hour drive from Vegas)
Zion National Park (just under 3 hour drive from Vegas)

Probably too much drive if you were hoping to just explore Vegas itself.

Have fun, Leo!

Message edited by author 2012-04-01 06:27:51.
04/01/2012 07:26:12 AM · #10
Agreed; the Valley of Fire is wonderful and worth the drive. I went there a few years ago to shoot and still find the images interesting even though I was not expecting much. But, it is extremely hot so bring lots of water. Hoover Dam is also an easy trip. I also enjoyed the short drive south to Henderson Airport where the SkyCrane helicopters are often easily photographed and military helicopters can sometimes be seen.

For work, I have made 55 trips to Las Vegas and need one more to make it a full year of my life living there a week at a time in hotels. No, I do not gamble. I went to the NAB (National Association of Broadcasters)conference for 35 years in a row. But, I have gone there for many other conferences too - ASIS, WCA, WCAI, IWCA, CES, PMA and more. All are related to my core work topics of media, RF (microwave, satellite, optical fibre, land mobile radio, etc.), or security.

Shooting on the strip (Las Vegas Boulevard) is fun and downtown on Fremont Street has merit too.
04/01/2012 05:21:22 PM · #11
Originally posted by AllenP:

A few suggestions, if you are willing to drive for a few hours and explore outside the city:

Valley of Fire State Park (just over an hour drive from Vegas) -- The most realistic one to visit since the drive isn't long
Death Valley (2 and a half hour drive from Vegas)
Rhyolite Ghost Town (2 and a half hour drive from Vegas)
Zion National Park (just under 3 hour drive from Vegas)

Probably too much drive if you were hoping to just explore Vegas itself.

Have fun, Leo!


Thx for the suggestions..noted
looking for peeps to hook up with...(echo..echo..echo)

04/01/2012 09:52:55 PM · #12
I would love to but sadly going to Houston for work at that time :(
04/02/2012 03:06:38 AM · #13
I'm in Las Vegas now, thanks for the Valley of Fire tip! Was there today. Make sure you find the Fire Wave, I didn't, or rather didn't see the signs until it was too late. There's no parking allowed along the road, I belive the nearest parking would be at The White Domes. Then walk back along the road, and you'll see two small signs saying "Wave"

You also have Red Rock Canyon which is more or less in Las Vegas, just a 15 minute drive from the strip.
04/02/2012 10:14:44 AM · #14
I may see you there. I can't get a straight answer out of IBM as to when my next training out there is happening though so... *shrug*

maybe. maybe.
04/02/2012 10:19:18 AM · #15
Who could go to Vegas without seeing Hoover Dam, one of the greatest engineering feats ever?
04/02/2012 12:37:50 PM · #16
Originally posted by Spork99:

Who could go to Vegas without seeing Hoover Dam, one of the greatest engineering feats ever?


Honestly? I think it is impressive, but it is no where near as awesome and beautiful as the Coolidge dam in AZ..

It really puzzles me why you always hear so much about Hoover, and nothing of Coolidge.
04/02/2012 02:20:41 PM · #17
From an engineering standpoint, the Hoover Dam is 3x the size of Coolidge, it was the single largest concrete construction at the time, it was delivered 2 years ahead of schedule, its construction involved many innovations, it has needed no major renovations. That's in addition to the aesthetic details (sculptures etc.)

Originally posted by Cory:

Originally posted by Spork99:

Who could go to Vegas without seeing Hoover Dam, one of the greatest engineering feats ever?


Honestly? I think it is impressive, but it is no where near as awesome and beautiful as the Coolidge dam in AZ..

It really puzzles me why you always hear so much about Hoover, and nothing of Coolidge.
04/02/2012 07:02:47 PM · #18
Originally posted by Spork99:

From an engineering standpoint, the Hoover Dam is 3x the size of Coolidge, it was the single largest concrete construction at the time, it was delivered 2 years ahead of schedule, its construction involved many innovations, it has needed no major renovations. That's in addition to the aesthetic details (sculptures etc.)

Originally posted by Cory:

Originally posted by Spork99:

Who could go to Vegas without seeing Hoover Dam, one of the greatest engineering feats ever?


Honestly? I think it is impressive, but it is no where near as awesome and beautiful as the Coolidge dam in AZ..

It really puzzles me why you always hear so much about Hoover, and nothing of Coolidge.


From the final part of your statement regarding the aesthetic details, it's pretty plain that you have not been to Coolidge.... The art deco styling of that dam is simply stunning. I find Hoover very impressive from a sheer effort standpoint, and reasonably impressive in terms of engineering, but honestly, it's just not terribly enjoyable to look at.

Oh, and I was the only person on Coolidge for the three hours I was there.... Hoover? Well... I was literally fighting through a crowd to get a sight of the blasted thing... For someone who likes peace and quiet, and abhors a crowded place, especially a touristy one, there simply isn't any comparison between the two in this respect.
04/03/2012 07:36:53 AM · #19
Clearly both dams are worth taking a look at...now back to our regularly scheduled program....

04/03/2012 09:14:37 AM · #20
As an addition here, I can say that Redrock Canyon (as mentioned above) is indeed quite close, and has some very cool cross-bedded sandstone.. (think petrified sand dunes)
04/04/2012 12:18:05 AM · #21
Leo, I just found out, I will be in town from the 8th - 20th....

I'm certain that you are relieved, :) but I was hoping to have some overlap with your schedule. Shame.
04/04/2012 12:49:45 AM · #22
Originally posted by Cory:

Leo, I just found out, I will be in town from the 8th - 20th....

I'm certain that you are relieved, :) but I was hoping to have some overlap with your schedule. Shame.


I'm no Leo but i'll be there 10th - 13th. Most days are full during regular business hours but I plan on some evening shooting if you want to connect.
04/04/2012 01:27:18 AM · #23
Originally posted by mpeters:

Originally posted by Cory:

Leo, I just found out, I will be in town from the 8th - 20th....

I'm certain that you are relieved, :) but I was hoping to have some overlap with your schedule. Shame.


I'm no Leo but i'll be there 10th - 13th. Most days are full during regular business hours but I plan on some evening shooting if you want to connect.


Boy, now I feel like I hijacked this thread twice. ;)

Yeah, cool idea - let's connect, I'll send a PM with info - Don't know your situation, but I will have a rental car, etc, so we can do pretty much whatever - and I know a great spot on the east edge of the city that has some killer eats and great micro-brew.
04/04/2012 07:53:08 PM · #24
Originally posted by Cory:

Originally posted by mpeters:

Originally posted by Cory:

Leo, I just found out, I will be in town from the 8th - 20th....

I'm certain that you are relieved, :) but I was hoping to have some overlap with your schedule. Shame.


I'm no Leo but i'll be there 10th - 13th. Most days are full during regular business hours but I plan on some evening shooting if you want to connect.


Boy, now I feel like I hijacked this thread twice. ;)

Yeah, cool idea - let's connect, I'll send a PM with info - Don't know your situation, but I will have a rental car, etc, so we can do pretty much whatever - and I know a great spot on the east edge of the city that has some killer eats and great micro-brew.


Lol..so glad I was able to get you guys connected!

Guess nobody wants to get with me...cuz I'm no Mark :)

Message edited by author 2012-04-04 19:53:32.
04/07/2012 08:28:39 AM · #25
Cmooon 7!!!! Daddy needs a new pair o shoes!!!!
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 02/19/2019 04:40:12 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2019 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 02/19/2019 04:40:12 PM EST.