DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Tips, Tricks, and Q&A >> Nikon D7000 slots help
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 21 of 21, (reverse)
AuthorThread
11/19/2011 06:25:02 PM · #1
Hello,

I'm trying to use the two slots in Nikon D7000. Why is it that when I shoot in JPEG, the image is recorded in both memory cards in the two slots? I thought Slot 1 is for RAW and Slot 2 is for JPEG? I thought if I shoot in JPEG, the image will be saved into Slot 2, and if I shoot in RAW, it will be saved into Slot 1; and if I shoot RAW + JPEG, it's automatic that RAW goes to Slot 1 and JPEG goes to slot 2, correct?

Thank you.

Ang

11/19/2011 08:30:02 PM · #2
Menu>Shooting Menu>Role Played by Card in Slot 2> Overflow, Or Backup, Or RAW Slot 1, JPEG Slot 2

RTFM=Read The Fu.....Bloody Manual!

8~)

Message edited by author 2011-11-19 20:30:18.
11/19/2011 08:32:52 PM · #3
Nikon D7000 Tips Thread

And, what ' . substr('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', strrpos('//www.dpchallenge.com/images/user_icon/21.gif', '/') + 1) . ' NikonJeb said.
Keep us updated as you find out any new tricks or hidden/good features about it.

I keep mine set up to put overflow on card 2.
You can also set it up so that all movies go into card 2, so you don't have them sprinkled into your still shots when it's time to download to the computer. I think you do that from the "movie" menu, pretty much the same as above.

Message edited by author 2011-11-19 20:36:40.
11/19/2011 09:03:54 PM · #4
You have lots of choices on how they are used. One can be RAW, the other JPG, they can be duplicates of each other (which is what I choose--two big cards, automatically backed up as I shoot), you have one fill first, then start on the other, and you can set movies to go to one, etc.

In all seriousness, you really do want to read the manual, more than once. I periodically go back and discover something new, some detail on something. The D7000 has a LOT of features, customizable, and so forth.

I am guessing that if you choose RAW+JPG, then the cards will divide the way you chose, but probably if you shoot only RAW or JPEG, it defaults to something else.
11/19/2011 10:06:50 PM · #5
Hello Everyone,

I appreciate your response. I selected Menu>Shooting Menu>Role Played by Card in Slot 2> RAW Slot 1, JPEG Slot 2. But when I shoot in JPEG only, both Slot 1 and Slot 2 have the same image, both JPEG. I thought it should only be in Slot 2. Weird :-)

I do have my manual but it's at home. I'm currently travelling in Seattle.

Ang

11/19/2011 10:09:26 PM · #6
Originally posted by angkokweng:

Hello Everyone,

I appreciate your response. I selected Menu>Shooting Menu>Role Played by Card in Slot 2> RAW Slot 1, JPEG Slot 2. But when I shoot in JPEG only, both Slot 1 and Slot 2 have the same image, both JPEG. I thought it should only be in Slot 2. Weird :-)

I do have my manual but it's at home. I'm currently travelling in Seattle.

Ang


FWIW, you can always access the manuals for Nikon products online, for free. You just can't print them unless you have your serial handy.
Online D7000 manual
11/19/2011 11:12:20 PM · #7
Originally posted by spiritualspatula:

Originally posted by angkokweng:

Hello Everyone,

I appreciate your response. I selected Menu>Shooting Menu>Role Played by Card in Slot 2> RAW Slot 1, JPEG Slot 2. But when I shoot in JPEG only, both Slot 1 and Slot 2 have the same image, both JPEG. I thought it should only be in Slot 2. Weird :-)

I do have my manual but it's at home. I'm currently travelling in Seattle.

Ang


FWIW, you can always access the manuals for Nikon products online, for free. You just can't print them unless you have your serial handy.
Online D7000 manual


I'm using my iPod Touch :-) Thanks for the link.
11/20/2011 12:18:00 AM · #8
Originally posted by angkokweng:

Originally posted by spiritualspatula:

Originally posted by angkokweng:

Hello Everyone,

I appreciate your response. I selected Menu>Shooting Menu>Role Played by Card in Slot 2> RAW Slot 1, JPEG Slot 2. But when I shoot in JPEG only, both Slot 1 and Slot 2 have the same image, both JPEG. I thought it should only be in Slot 2. Weird :-)

I do have my manual but it's at home. I'm currently travelling in Seattle.

Ang


FWIW, you can always access the manuals for Nikon products online, for free. You just can't print them unless you have your serial handy.
Online D7000 manual


I'm using my iPod Touch :-) Thanks for the link.


doesn't help you now, exactly, but perhaps when you get home: I have the goodreader app, and of course iBooks, both of which support pdfs. I've loaded ALL my user manuals into them, so I have them all in my pocket all the time. I'm making the assumption that either one or both will also work on an ipod touch.
06/21/2012 11:13:34 PM · #9
Originally posted by angkokweng:

Hello,

I'm trying to use the two slots in Nikon D7000. Why is it that when I shoot in JPEG, the image is recorded in both memory cards in the two slots? I thought Slot 1 is for RAW and Slot 2 is for JPEG? I thought if I shoot in JPEG, the image will be saved into Slot 2, and if I shoot in RAW, it will be saved into Slot 1; and if I shoot RAW + JPEG, it's automatic that RAW goes to Slot 1 and JPEG goes to slot 2, correct?

Thank you.

Ang


Ang -
I just purchased the Nikon D7000 and, have read the manual, repeatedly. I am having the same issue. Set to NEF+JPG/Slot 1, Slot 2 respectively I have getting duplicate JPG images on both cards. I am NOT getting any RAW images unless I set ONLY to RAW (REGARDLESS of slot selection). As mentioned in another forum, set to RAW and Slot 1 NEF/Slot 2 JPG, both slots will save as RAW. And, as I've written, that's not the issue (just a possible "glitch). Set to NEF+JPG/Slot 1, Slot 2 respectively - I am ONLY getting JPGs on each card. No RAW images. The same issue as the original post.
06/21/2012 11:45:28 PM · #10
There are only 3 selections for card 2 use.

1; Overflow (When slot 1 card is full, cam switches to slot 2)

2; Backup (Duplicate image files will be written, one to each card, in the selected shooting mode) Check your setting for "Image quality" in shooting menu.

3; RAW slot 1 - JPEG slot 2 ( To use this, select RAW + JPEG in the shooting menu under "Image Quality". ) Note that both the .jpg and the RAW file will be erased if you are putting both on one card, and you erase the RAW file. That's on page 87 in my manual.

I'm not sure what's causing you to have the RAW + JPG problem.

ETA, correction, 4 selections. You can select that movies go to card 2 only, but that is in the "movie" menus.

Have you tried shooting a test shot with settings at RAW+JPEG, with RAW slot 1 JPEG slot 2 settings, then remove one card at a time, playback the image, and see if the image is on both, and in which file types? I think that the camera plays back the .jpg file if there is a choice.

Message edited by author 2012-06-21 23:52:26.
06/21/2012 11:59:47 PM · #11
It looks like it might be a firmware issue. h t t p: //support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17542/~/d7000-firmware%3A-a%3A-1.0.2-%2F-b%3A1.03-upgrade. Because it's a new camera it's the only thing I can come up with. I've checked and rechecked and done multiple test shots. Image quality is set to "NEF (RAW)+ JPEG basic" (I've tried normal and fine just to be sure I covered my bases) and Role played by card in Slot 2 is set to "RAW Slot 1 - JPEG Slot 2". I get JPEGs on both cards. If I set Image Quality to "NEF (RAW)" both cards have duplicate RAW images (which is what the manual reflects). I appreciate your answer MelonJusketeer. After I update the Firmware, if I still have the same problem, it's off to the camera shop.

Message edited by author 2012-06-22 00:01:00.
06/22/2012 12:31:37 AM · #12
There is one more thing to try, and that's a "Full Reset". It's somewhere in the menus.
06/22/2012 12:51:50 AM · #13
This is the best discussion of the issue, however, I\'m still having the same problem even using Nikon\'s software. h t t p://(www).flickr.com/groups/d7000-club/discuss/72157625527391644/
06/22/2012 01:07:37 AM · #14
Check to see if you have the latest firmware. I had to update my D7000 when I first got it because at times it did not even recognize that it had memory cards installed. No problems after the update.

When I set my camera to slot 1 RAW, slot 2 jpeg
- if set on RAW + jpeg, it saves NEF file to card 1 and jpg file to card 2
- if set to jpg, it saves a jpg file on both cards (same behavior as backup mode)
- if set to RAW only, it saves a NEF file to both cards.

When I set my camera for card 2 to OVERFLOW, it only saves files to card 1 (until it is full)
- if set to RAW, it saves 1 NEF file to card 1
- if set to jpg, it saves 1 jpg file to card 1
BUT, if set to RAW + jpg, it only saves a jpg to card 1. It does not save a corresponding NEF file. I had not noticed this behavior before.

I thought my camera was fine, but now I need to investigate this behavior further also. My current firmware is

A: 1.02
B: 1.03
L: 1.002
06/22/2012 01:27:01 AM · #15
Originally posted by dswann:

Check to see if you have the latest firmware. I had to update my D7000 when I first got it because at times it did not even recognize that it had memory cards installed. No problems after the update.

When I set my camera to slot 1 RAW, slot 2 jpeg
- if set on RAW + jpeg, it saves NEF file to card 1 and jpg file to card 2
- if set to jpg, it saves a jpg file on both cards (same behavior as backup mode)
- if set to RAW only, it saves a NEF file to both cards.

When I set my camera for card 2 to OVERFLOW, it only saves files to card 1 (until it is full)
- if set to RAW, it saves 1 NEF file to card 1
- if set to jpg, it saves 1 jpg file to card 1
BUT, if set to RAW + jpg, it only saves a jpg to card 1. It does not save a corresponding NEF file. I had not noticed this behavior before.

I thought my camera was fine, but now I need to investigate this behavior further also. My current firmware is

A: 1.02
B: 1.03
L: 1.002


Correction to the statement in bold above - the camera IS saving a NEF and jpg file to card 1. However, when files are reviewed on the LCD it only shows the jpg on card 1. When I download the files to my computer using Adobe Elements 10, both the jpg and NEF files are there. I guess this behavior just keeps you from having to view duplicate identical files when reviewing your photos. As I understand it, even when you shoot only in RAW, the NEF image shown in the LCD is actually a jpg conversion.
02/08/2014 08:04:47 PM · #16

I had the same problem recently and could not find any solution online. I finally had to sit down and go through all the D7000 options.
- Apart from setting the "Role played by card in Slot 2 to RAW + JPEG"

You need to also set another option
- Image Quality to NEF(RAW) + JPEG (Fine, normal or basic)
If you set this option to just JPEG, this is also when you end up with both the SD cards with only JPEF images.

Please respond if this solution helped out for anyone!
02/08/2014 09:46:40 PM · #17
I have found that using "Nikon approved" cards helps prevent problems too. I was using an off brand card and it scrambled the way the camera handled cards for a while.
When I put a Sandisc Ultra in and formatted it, things were back to normal.
My shooting is rarely RAW, so I keep it set to Card 1 .jpg, Card 2 .mov to keep the video isolated from the still shots.
02/09/2014 06:46:36 AM · #18
Originally posted by pc2014:

I had the same problem recently and could not find any solution online. I finally had to sit down and go through all the D7000 options.
- Apart from setting the "Role played by card in Slot 2 to RAW + JPEG"

You need to also set another option
- Image Quality to NEF(RAW) + JPEG (Fine, normal or basic)
If you set this option to just JPEG, this is also when you end up with both the SD cards with only JPEF images.

Please respond if this solution helped out for anyone!

This should be the correct solutions for the problem!
03/18/2015 07:06:34 AM · #19
pc2014 you are a genius :-) Thank you for solving an issue that has had me stumped for hours !
03/18/2015 07:46:14 AM · #20
FYI, for anyone shooting Nikon with 2 slots, be careful when you have the role for Slot 2 set to anything but Overflow as it will impact the speed at which the buffer clears. This is obvious when using slot 2 for Backup, but not so much when set to RAW -> Slot 1, JPEG -> Slot 2. Even if you are not shooting JPEG (ie. Image Quality is set to RAW), the camera will change the way in which it allocates processing power, splitting it so that 1/2 goes to slot 1 and 1/2 goes to slot 2 - even though slot 2 is not receiving any files. This means your buffer will clear MUCH more slowly, which becomes problematic when shooting in continuous mode or firing off repeated single shots. And given that the buffer on the D7000 and D7100 is rather small, this could mean missed shots rather quickly.

Here's a link to a video I did showing the problem on a D600, but it's the same on a D7000, D7100 and D610. I have not been able to reproduce the issue on the D750.

https://youtu.be/t_5rPbF_DaY
06/22/2015 11:51:05 PM · #21
Thanks a million!!! I will give this a go. So helpful- I have been all over the internet looking for a solution for days...

Originally posted by Kroburg:

Originally posted by pc2014:

I had the same problem recently and could not find any solution online. I finally had to sit down and go through all the D7000 options.
- Apart from setting the "Role played by card in Slot 2 to RAW + JPEG"

You need to also set another option
- Image Quality to NEF(RAW) + JPEG (Fine, normal or basic)
If you set this option to just JPEG, this is also when you end up with both the SD cards with only JPEF images.

Please respond if this solution helped out for anyone!

This should be the correct solutions for the problem!
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 07/20/2019 08:25:58 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2019 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 07/20/2019 08:25:58 PM EDT.