DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Side Challenges and Tournaments >> 2013 Calendar Side Challenge
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 16 of 16, (reverse)
AuthorThread
10/20/2011 09:20:49 AM · #1
Sign up by Dec 31, 2011. Include the theme of your calendar. Yes, you may change it later.
Completed calendar due by July 31, 2012
You can shoot specifically for your calendar, or may use existing photos you've taken
10/20/2011 09:55:52 AM · #2
Originally posted by dtremain:

Sign up by Dec 31, 2011. Include the theme of your calendar. Yes, you may change it later.
Completed calendar due by July 31, 2012
You can shoot specifically for your calendar, or may use existing photos you've taken


This sounds fun, I haven't been able to stick with many side challenges lately because I get too involved with my challenge entries. But I think I can handle 12 images in 10 months. :) Thanks for letting us know now, I would like to go out and get some good fall shots before the snow flies.
10/20/2011 10:12:18 AM · #3
Excuse my ignorance but isn't the world still ending in 2012? Or was that canceled after the Harold Camping thing?

And for those wondering, yes I'm kidding. ;)
10/20/2011 10:52:07 AM · #4
I thought his new prediction was... Oh Crap... TOMORROW!!!
10/20/2011 01:19:36 PM · #5
This looks good, but no sign up yet :) I guess it's for a monthly calendar. Still looking for a weekly calendar, but haven't found any company yet who offers such a thing.
10/20/2011 04:41:42 PM · #6
um... isn't it a little early to be working on a 2013 calendar?
10/21/2011 01:49:58 PM · #7
Yes, but it is too late to be working on a 2012, unless you're just doing it for family & friends. So, 2013 it is...unless, of course, Camping is right - in which case, we probably won't need either.
Originally posted by posthumous:

um... isn't it a little early to be working on a 2013 calendar?
10/21/2011 01:53:58 PM · #8
Most people assume a monthly calendar, but you could do a weekly one if you want. Problem is that a weekly will be a minimum of 26-27 pages, which will be over 2x the price of a monthly calendar. Here's one for 21.gif posthumous, though, a black & white calendar is much cheaper than one in color...
Originally posted by hajeka:

This looks good, but no sign up yet :) I guess it's for a monthly calendar. Still looking for a weekly calendar, but haven't found any company yet who offers such a thing.
10/21/2011 04:22:18 PM · #9
Originally posted by dtremain:

Most people assume a monthly calendar, but you could do a weekly one if you want. Problem is that a weekly will be a minimum of 26-27 pages, which will be over 2x the price of a monthly calendar. Here's one for 21.gif posthumous, though, a black & white calendar is much cheaper than one in color...
Originally posted by hajeka:

This looks good, but no sign up yet :) I guess it's for a monthly calendar. Still looking for a weekly calendar, but haven't found any company yet who offers such a thing.


I, too, would like to do a weekly engagement calendar. About six weeks ago I spent a couple of hours on the net, and couldn't find anyone who even has a template for one. The closest I could come was doing it myself by hand and it came out 50+ pages and a lot more expensive than I wanted. Plus, with my luck, I'd probably start off on the wrong day of the week...

There were a fair number of people wanting to do engagement calendars, so I don't know why the option isn't out there somewhere. Blurb's answer was "We do books well. That's what we're going to stick to. No calendars."
10/21/2011 04:45:56 PM · #10
Originally posted by Germaine:

There were a fair number of people wanting to do engagement calendars, so I don't know why the option isn't out there somewhere. Blurb's answer was "We do books well. That's what we're going to stick to. No calendars."

If you want to do a weekly calendar for a year, it has to be at least 52 pages ...

I would ...
1. Use calendar program to create calendar layout
2. Print/export calendar pages to PDF/other graphic format (or print/scan)
3. Import calendar pages along with other artwork to create final pages
4. Place pages on book template

The above presumes you are using Photoshop or other editing program. I've worked for a long time, so I'm used to using page-layout software and setting up book pages for printing, though really the main difference is the ability to work on all the pages at once.

For a weekly "daybook" I would probably set it up to print four 4.25" x 7" pages on each side of a legal-size (8.5" x 14") paper on a laser or inkjet printer -- seven sheets back-to-back covers a year. Note that it would have to trim down to a slightly smaller size. You could also go with 5.5" x 8.5" pages four-up on a tabloid (11" x 17") sheet.

Message edited by author 2011-10-21 16:47:24.
10/21/2011 05:02:14 PM · #11
Originally posted by myqyl:

Excuse my ignorance but isn't the world still ending in 2012? Or was that canceled after the Harold Camping thing?

And for those wondering, yes I'm kidding. ;)


well i guess you could make a blank calendar that would probably sum it up haha.
10/21/2011 05:08:19 PM · #12
1031.gif GeneralE, nice idea about printing it yourself, but that raises the next problem. How to bind all the separate pages to a (usable) whole?
10/21/2011 05:19:30 PM · #13
Originally posted by hajeka:

1031.gif GeneralE, nice idea about printing it yourself, but that raises the next problem. How to bind all the separate pages to a (usable) whole?

they make that dip it in glue stuff like on the 365 day calendars, that you can buy at the craft store.
10/21/2011 05:36:02 PM · #14
Originally posted by GeneralE:

Originally posted by Germaine:

There were a fair number of people wanting to do engagement calendars, so I don't know why the option isn't out there somewhere. Blurb's answer was "We do books well. That's what we're going to stick to. No calendars."

If you want to do a weekly calendar for a year, it has to be at least 52 pages ...

I would ...
1. Use calendar program to create calendar layout
2. Print/export calendar pages to PDF/other graphic format (or print/scan)
3. Import calendar pages along with other artwork to create final pages
4. Place pages on book template

The above presumes you are using Photoshop or other editing program. I've worked for a long time, so I'm used to using page-layout software and setting up book pages for printing, though really the main difference is the ability to work on all the pages at once.

For a weekly "daybook" I would probably set it up to print four 4.25" x 7" pages on each side of a legal-size (8.5" x 14") paper on a laser or inkjet printer -- seven sheets back-to-back covers a year. Note that it would have to trim down to a slightly smaller size. You could also go with 5.5" x 8.5" pages four-up on a tabloid (11" x 17") sheet.


Thanks for the outline of what needs to be done. It's pretty much what I had figured out in terms of the steps. Thanks also for giving the trim sizes.

I had gotten as far as laying out pages with the idea of just doing a book at Blurb, but then the price started going up.

I had also thought of printing it at someplace like Kinko's and putting a spiral binding on it. Never priced that.
10/21/2011 05:53:47 PM · #15
Originally posted by Germaine:

I had also thought of printing it at someplace like Kinko's and putting a spiral binding on it. Never priced that.

Black and white would be affordable, but I think they way overcharge for 11x17 color lasers, and in my experience those usually come out too dark anyway.

Spiral-binding should cost a couple of bucks. You might consider printing all the pages on cover stock for extra durability.
10/22/2011 05:48:18 AM · #16
Originally posted by Germaine:

There were a fair number of people wanting to do engagement calendars, so I don't know why the option isn't out there somewhere. Blurb's answer was "We do books well. That's what we're going to stick to. No calendars."

I just downloaded the latest version of the Blurb software and noticed they now have a planner book included in options. It's about 134 pages, with a photo page at the beginning of each month. Not sure if this is what you were looking for, but it looks like it maybe quite a nice option.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 03/24/2019 04:42:44 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2019 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 03/24/2019 04:42:44 AM EDT.