DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Business of Photography >> Stolen photo so I hand delivered an invoice
Pages:  
Showing posts 51 - 75 of 123, (reverse)
AuthorThread
09/14/2011 01:35:37 PM · #51
In regards to screenshots, I took a screenshot-video loading the site several times as well as going through google to the website and then seeing the html source which proves it is still up there.

let me know if you need it.
09/14/2011 01:40:53 PM · #52
Originally posted by IAmEliKatz:

In regards to screenshots, I took a screenshot-video loading the site several times as well as going through google to the website and then seeing the html source which proves it is still up there.

let me know if you need it.

Dang, thx.

If the guy would've phoned with a sincere apology, i would've let the whole thing go. But he had to go and say, "so i'll just throw out your invoice." That kinda irked me.

Message edited by author 2011-09-14 13:55:23.
09/14/2011 01:45:19 PM · #53
Originally posted by Strikeslip:

If the guy would've phoned with a sincere apology, i would've let the whole thing go. But he had to go and say, "so i'm going to throw out your invoice." That kinda irked me.

Don't forget to add a surcharge for "printing/sending duplicate invoice" ...
09/14/2011 01:50:20 PM · #54
Next thing to do is you can try calling the web-host and report them for using copyrighted material and have their site suspended...

(It's a stretch and then you photo isn't being used because the site is offline)
09/14/2011 03:01:20 PM · #55
Originally posted by karmat:

Originally posted by Spork99:

This where people that don't understand copyright get upset. When they learn that simply taking down or ceasing to use an image isn't enough to avoid having to pay for using the image, they tend to lose their minds and get squirrelly. When they finally do consult an attorney and the attorney tells them they can pay the invoice now or pay a lot more after going to court, the smart ones pay. The dumb ones go to court and pay a lot more.


don't say "squirrel" -- this is slippy we're dealing with.


Hey, that was intentional. This clown may need a one way ride out into the wilderness.
09/14/2011 03:02:56 PM · #56
Originally posted by IAmEliKatz:

Next thing to do is you can try calling the web-host and report them for using copyrighted material and have their site suspended...

(It's a stretch and then you photo isn't being used because the site is offline)


Actually, notifying the ISP that the image is copyrighted is one step. They have to remove it or share in the liability for the unlicensed usage. Bad for them, more money for Slippy.
09/14/2011 03:17:45 PM · #57
I've given him until Sept 26th. See, I'm a nice guy! I'm in no hurry and totally willing to make this a part time hobby for the rest of my life.
09/14/2011 03:29:38 PM · #58
Originally posted by Strikeslip:

I've given him until Sept 26th. See, I'm a nice guy! I'm in no hurry and totally willing to make this a part time hobby for the rest of my life.

I can't remember who it was, but I seem to remember someone posting that they'd made more from three or four infringement cases than from all legitimate stock and commercial royalties to that point ...
09/14/2011 03:39:03 PM · #59
Time to start praying I see one of my images out there in the interwebz
09/14/2011 03:40:31 PM · #60
Originally posted by IAmEliKatz:

Time to start praying I see one of my images out there in the interwebz


Oh god, how I hate that neologism.
09/14/2011 03:41:01 PM · #61
Originally posted by Cory:

Originally posted by IAmEliKatz:

Time to start praying I see one of my images out there in the interwebz


Oh god, how I hate that neologism.

:)
09/14/2011 05:08:51 PM · #62
Just remember Slippy, it's easier to catch a fly with honey than vinegar. As much fun as it might be, if you stay professional and act like you are working toward a "win-win mutual solution" the more likely you'll actually get some cash in your pocket.
09/14/2011 05:22:05 PM · #63
Originally posted by DrAchoo:

Just remember Slippy, it's easier to catch a fly with honey than vinegar. As much fun as it might be, if you stay professional and act like you are working toward a "win-win mutual solution" the more likely you'll actually get some cash in your pocket.


its sounds like he's just dying to use the chainsaw.
09/14/2011 05:24:56 PM · #64
If there's a poll on honey vs. chainsaw, put me down for chainsaw.
09/14/2011 05:54:21 PM · #65
Originally posted by Art Roflmao:

If there's a poll on honey vs. chainsaw, put me down for chainsaw.


Same.
09/14/2011 06:01:12 PM · #66
Originally posted by Art Roflmao:

If there's a poll on honey vs. chainsaw, put me down for chainsaw.


Are those the only choices in the survey? I like the middle ground. Honey with threat of chainsaw. The old "Let us be men of reason, I would have to break my restraining order and get in trouble with my chainsaw again". But keep the bar oil handy.
09/14/2011 06:03:33 PM · #67
Originally posted by DrAchoo:

Just remember Slippy, it's easier to catch a fly with honey than vinegar. As much fun as it might be, if you stay professional and act like you are working toward a "win-win mutual solution" the more likely you'll actually get some cash in your pocket.

Originally posted by Strikeslip:

I've given him until Sept 26th. See, I'm a nice guy! I'm in no hurry and totally willing to make this a part time hobby for the rest of my life.
09/14/2011 06:18:12 PM · #68
My vote goes to chainsaw as well, though don't forget the rope! Chainsaws become a lot scarier with ropes!
09/17/2011 10:06:52 PM · #69
Any updates??
09/18/2011 09:39:34 AM · #70
Originally posted by IAmEliKatz:

Any updates??

No, but Canadian postal service is very slow, but I doubt he'll pay anyhow, so I'm just waiting for the 26th to roll around so I can get a lawyer.
09/18/2011 07:38:49 PM · #71
Someone I know in my local area also had it happen recently. He's having much the same results as yourself. He posted a humorous music video about it and details on his blog
09/18/2011 07:48:18 PM · #72
I listened to a podcast the other day that covered this sort of thing, and apparently it's quite cheap to register images, and once registered the dude will be dead in the water and in serious debt to you. No getting around it. It'll even cover your legal fees.
09/18/2011 07:59:44 PM · #73
Originally posted by Strikeslip:

Originally posted by IAmEliKatz:

Any updates??

No, but Canadian postal service is very slow, but I doubt he'll pay anyhow, so I'm just waiting for the 26th to roll around so I can get a lawyer.


When you talk to the lawyer, ask him if he will do it for a percentage of what you expect to win... that should give you an idea as to the value of your claim.

Ray
09/18/2011 08:05:19 PM · #74
Originally posted by RayEthier:

Originally posted by Strikeslip:

Originally posted by IAmEliKatz:

Any updates??

No, but Canadian postal service is very slow, but I doubt he'll pay anyhow, so I'm just waiting for the 26th to roll around so I can get a lawyer.


When you talk to the lawyer, ask him if he will do it for a percentage of what you expect to win... that should give you an idea as to the value of your claim.

Ray


I believe that copyright law allows for the plaintiff to recover court costs and attorney's fees...at least that's how it is here in the states. In lower value cases, I'd expect those fees could add up to more than the claim.
09/22/2011 04:51:38 PM · #75
Note to self:

Phoned local police and left message asking for advice.

Emailed six different law firms in the city.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 06/05/2020 12:23:29 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2020 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 06/05/2020 12:23:29 AM EDT.