DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Current Challenge >> comments
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 27, (reverse)
AuthorThread
08/10/2011 12:43:29 AM · #1
why would someone leave a comment and then take it away?It just vanished

Message edited by author 2011-08-10 00:44:06.
08/10/2011 12:53:30 AM · #2
Lol, Was it a good or bad comment?
08/10/2011 07:58:03 AM · #3
It was a 4, but it had some constructive criticism.It didn't bother me at all.But I just find it strange????
08/10/2011 08:02:10 AM · #4
I know that if you receive a comment, mark it helpful, then they go back and change their vote, you have to remark the comment helpful. Maybe they removed their vote and it will show up again when they revote? (I am talking out of my armpit, so take this "knowledge" with a grain of salt!)
08/10/2011 08:20:03 AM · #5
I did that once - commented and then changed it to one word because the person did not mark the comment as helpful. I assumed he did not like it but he actually left it unmarked so he could follow up after the voting finished. So maybe that's what happened. I don't do this any more. Did you ask the commenter about this? (I assume you can see who it was)
08/10/2011 08:36:07 AM · #6
I had not checked it yet.I was going to, but had to leave my computer.When I came back it was gone.I can't remember who it was.
08/10/2011 08:44:24 AM · #7
same thing here , one comment is gone. And I remember who it was...it was not positive but he made his point.
08/10/2011 08:46:53 AM · #8
sounds like it could be the same guy. But I still don't the why of it.

Message edited by author 2011-08-10 08:47:48.
08/10/2011 08:51:01 AM · #9
I occasionally get rid of my comments if I put effort into them and they aren't marked helpful before rollover. I juwt think its impolite.
I did have one disappear on me before that I made though.
08/10/2011 08:54:39 AM · #10
Originally posted by NiallOTuama:

I occasionally get rid of my comments if I put effort into them and they aren't marked helpful before rollover. I juwt think its impolite.
I did have one disappear on me before that I made though.

Seriously? Suppose someone doesn't have internet access? Seems a bit self-defeating to go to the effort of commenting and then delete it because someone hasn't checked a little box...

Or am I being a bit thick and you are being entirely tongue in cheek.....?
08/10/2011 09:02:12 AM · #11
Originally posted by SaraR:

Originally posted by NiallOTuama:

I occasionally get rid of my comments if I put effort into them and they aren't marked helpful before rollover. I juwt think its impolite.
I did have one disappear on me before that I made though.

Seriously? Suppose someone doesn't have internet access? Seems a bit self-defeating to go to the effort of commenting and then delete it because someone hasn't checked a little box...

Or am I being a bit thick and you are being entirely tongue in cheek.....?

I have received very negative PMs after making some critical comments in the past. I don't want to make such comments if people don't find them helpful.
08/10/2011 09:24:02 AM · #12
Oh well. Not much you can do about it I guess. But I don't want to offend anyone by not checking the box.Their have been times though, that the comments are down right nasty,so no check for them. but this wasn't the case.I just didn't have time and when I came back it was gone. Beats me!
08/10/2011 10:14:35 AM · #13
here is one other scenario - their membership could have totally expired - when that happens all their comments go away....maybe they knew it was expiring...maybe not

As far as I know once you have made a vote you can not remove it, I've tried (doesn't mean it's true) if I make a comment that too can not be removed during voting...you can change/take out what you said...but it will still re-appear on your comment list (like a new comment). That is how I can tell if someone changes their vote or changes something in their comments.

Re-ck your Received & Helpful comments (incoming), because of the new changes things are really "off" in that department, my count hasn't been right in wks now...sigh (OCD kicking in) also ck your picture (open it up) and see if the comment isn't there.

08/10/2011 10:27:37 AM · #14
Originally posted by SaraR:

Originally posted by NiallOTuama:

I occasionally get rid of my comments if I put effort into them and they aren't marked helpful before rollover. I juwt think its impolite.
I did have one disappear on me before that I made though.

Seriously? Suppose someone doesn't have internet access? Seems a bit self-defeating to go to the effort of commenting and then delete it because someone hasn't checked a little box...

Or am I being a bit thick and you are being entirely tongue in cheek.....?

Nah. I was serious.

It's not ideal, I agree. And I don't do it as much these days. But I think most people here are obsessed enough to know when they have a comment in. I vote/comment early on in the week to give as much time as possible to the entrants.
I haven't done this in ages though.

Message edited by author 2011-08-10 10:27:54.
08/10/2011 10:53:13 AM · #15
Originally posted by Ja-9:

here is one other scenario - their membership could have totally expired - when that happens all their comments go away....maybe they knew it was expiring...maybe not

As far as I know once you have made a vote you can not remove it, I've tried (doesn't mean it's true) if I make a comment that too can not be removed during voting...you can change/take out what you said...but it will still re-appear on your comment list (like a new comment). That is how I can tell if someone changes their vote or changes something in their comments.

Re-ck your Received & Helpful comments (incoming), because of the new changes things are really "off" in that department, my count hasn't been right in wks now...sigh (OCD kicking in) also ck your picture (open it up) and see if the comment isn't there.


Checked. nothing,
08/10/2011 03:57:51 PM · #16
AHA! I had 6 comments on ABANDONED last night, I have 5 this morning. I have never seen that before. What's going on with the system?? Ever since the change with the average and number of comments very weird things are happening - weird score patterns, wrong numbers of comments, and now, disappearing comments!! Unfortunately I don't remember whose comment it was.
08/10/2011 08:58:10 PM · #17
Originally posted by NiallOTuama:


Nah. I was serious.

It's not ideal, I agree. And I don't do it as much these days. But I think most people here are obsessed enough to know when they have a comment in. I vote/comment early on in the week to give as much time as possible to the entrants.
I haven't done this in ages though.


I wait until after challenges have ended to mark all of my comments. I read them as the challenge goes on, but only mark at the end, often a couple days after, depending upon placement. I do it to help make sure I don't miss comments.
08/10/2011 10:09:28 PM · #18
I like to go through the challenge images as a baghead, leave provocative comments for a day and then remove them the next day just to stir up controversy.

LOL - not really - but now I'm tempted...
08/10/2011 10:20:17 PM · #19
Originally posted by Art Roflmao:

I like to go through the challenge images as a baghead, leave provocative comments for a day and then remove them the next day just to stir up controversy.

LOL - not really - but now I'm tempted...

Ahah! Now I'll know when I got a baghead's comment!
08/10/2011 10:56:31 PM · #20
When I leave comments I assume everyone is open minded and open to criticism and looking to improve based on outside input from their respectable peers.

AahahahahahaaaHAHAHAAHAAahahahaha oh but seriously.
08/11/2011 02:48:38 PM · #21
A little bit off topic newb question: What is a Baghead? I had one comment on one of my images. I guess it is somebody who is not logged into the system? Can they vote? Doesn't that allow for cheating?
08/11/2011 03:25:37 PM · #22
Originally posted by hyper7:

A little bit off topic newb question: What is a Baghead? I had one comment on one of my images. I guess it is somebody who is not logged into the system? Can they vote? Doesn't that allow for cheating?

They are commenting anonymously, to prevent the photographer from messaging them during the voting. Their identity is revealed after the voting closes. The comments and commentors are perfectly legitimate.
08/11/2011 03:57:46 PM · #23
I see. How do you do that? I suppose I'll have to look at the controls on the voting screen more carefully?
Thanks!

PS: I didn't really mean to imply that they are not "legit", just thinking aloud. Apologies.
08/11/2011 04:21:10 PM · #24
Originally posted by hyper7:

I see. How do you do that? I suppose I'll have to look at the controls on the voting screen more carefully?
Thanks!

PS: I didn't really mean to imply that they are not "legit", just thinking aloud. Apologies.


It's under My Preferences under My Home
08/12/2011 11:04:52 AM · #25
Thank you!
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 12/10/2019 10:54:54 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2019 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 12/10/2019 10:54:54 PM EST.