DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Welcome Center >> Q: Discussing challenges with other members?
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 34, (reverse)
AuthorThread
04/26/2011 12:26:29 PM · #1
I had no idea where to put this, but I'm still fairly new, sooo..

What can/can't we discuss with other DPC members concerning challenges? I know already that we can't say "Vote my picture 10, here's a link to it." but what about just saying, "I entered the Bokeh challenge." ? How mysterious do we have to be with friends who are also members? I don't want to get in trouble.

Thanks!
Lindsey
04/26/2011 12:30:06 PM · #2
Originally posted by Tolt:

I had no idea where to put this, but I'm still fairly new, sooo..

What can/can't we discuss with other DPC members concerning challenges? I know already that we can't say "Vote my picture 10, here's a link to it." but what about just saying, "I entered the Bokeh challenge." ? How mysterious do we have to be with friends who are also members? I don't want to get in trouble.

Thanks!
Lindsey


A lot of people post on other sites during voting, that is same as saying vote for me...just don't do it on DPC

Message edited by author 2011-04-26 12:41:31.
04/26/2011 12:31:28 PM · #3
you have to decide whether you want your friend to know it's your image or not.

if your friend is going to vote, don't give any clues to what your entry is.

or just to tell your friend which image is yours and tell them NOT to vote on it. a lot of people do that.
04/26/2011 12:33:50 PM · #4
Their is gray area concerning this. Just don't mention in any threads on DP which one is your's or alude as to which one is yours. If you fell you can't honestly vote on an image subjectively then don't vote. If you want to honest in your voting and you know that a friend has a dog in the fight vote on all the images and then ask them which was thier's. Then you can really see how you feel about a pal's photography. LOL
04/26/2011 12:36:14 PM · #5
Originally posted by SEG:

If you want to honest in your voting and you know that a friend has a dog in the fight vote on all the images and then ask them which was thier's. Then you can really see how you feel about a pal's photography. LOL


I like that idea ALOT. :)
04/26/2011 12:37:02 PM · #6
Originally posted by posthumous:

you have to decide whether you want your friend to know it's your image or not.

if your friend is going to vote, don't give any clues to what your entry is.

or just to tell your friend which image is yours and tell them NOT to vote on it. a lot of people do that.


Yup. Listen to Don. Just don't take chances with voting. I discuss images with my friends all the time -- but then the just bypass it during voting. If I have seen a friend's entry prior to the challenge, I do not vote on it. Even though I think I can be unbiased, if I have seen their image longer than I've seen others, it might give it an unfair advantage, so why take the chance?

However, if I think recognize someone's image because of their style or subject matter, I'll still vote on it. Just because I think it's theirs doesn't make it theirs. And I haven't seen it previously, I do believe that I can be unbiased.
04/26/2011 12:40:51 PM · #7
There are a lot of people that exchange feedback on their entries, so know who a couple of other entries belong to. It is left to the honor system to decide if you can or cannot vote in an unbiased manner, but most folks choose to skip voting on those entries they have given feedback on.

After a while you will also find you will know whose entry it is based on style and subject. It's impossible for it to be 100% anonymous to everyone. Again, the honor system.
04/26/2011 12:51:38 PM · #8
Originally posted by Yo_Spiff:

It is left to the honor system to decide


Internet Honesty
picard-facepalm.jpg
04/26/2011 12:52:29 PM · #9
Originally posted by Yo_Spiff:

There are a lot of people that exchange feedback on their entries, so know who a couple of other entries belong to. It is left to the honor system to decide if you can or cannot vote in an unbiased manner, but most folks choose to skip voting on those entries they have given feedback on.

After a while you will also find you will know whose entry it is based on style and subject. It's impossible for it to be 100% anonymous to everyone. Again, the honor system.


Honor system sounds good in the theory...here is a fact: image was on another site frequented by DPC members for +/- 10days during voting. If your Honor system is working, wouldn't you expect that image would have less votes than others at the end of the challenge?
I'm not saying its a bad image, but the idea of honor vote is questioned.
04/26/2011 12:54:10 PM · #10
Originally posted by Yo_Spiff:

There are a lot of people that exchange feedback on their entries, so know who a couple of other entries belong to. It is left to the honor system to decide if you can or cannot vote in an unbiased manner, but most folks choose to skip voting on those entries they have given feedback on.

After a while you will also find you will know whose entry it is based on style and subject. It's impossible for it to be 100% anonymous to everyone. Again, the honor system.


Be fair. That's what it all boils down to. Don't try to cheat or rig the system. It's the old "do unto others" bit. :)
04/26/2011 12:59:53 PM · #11
Originally posted by Basta:

image was on another site frequented by DPC members for +/- 10days during voting. If your Honor system is working, wouldn't you expect that image would have less votes than others at the end of the challenge?
I'm not saying its a bad image, but the idea of honor vote is questioned.

I will often will recognize an image that has been posted on another site by a member. However, I have not given feedback on it, and I will frequently forget whose photo it was. Again, if I feel my voting would be biased in anyway, I skip that one. No the system ain't perfect.
04/26/2011 01:06:49 PM · #12
Originally posted by Yo_Spiff:

Originally posted by Basta:

image was on another site frequented by DPC members for +/- 10days during voting. If your Honor system is working, wouldn't you expect that image would have less votes than others at the end of the challenge?
I'm not saying its a bad image, but the idea of honor vote is questioned.

I will often will recognize an image that has been posted on another site by a member. However, I have not given feedback on it, and I will frequently forget whose photo it was. Again, if I feel my voting would be biased in anyway, I skip that one. No the system ain't perfect.


Sounds like you have selfcontrol .. If I see a good or Wow image i will remember it ... anyhow we are talking about the not so important numbers, the honest comments (harder and harder to come by) are the best value on DPC

Message edited by author 2011-04-26 13:11:43.
04/26/2011 01:11:10 PM · #13
Originally posted by vawendy:

Be fair. That's what it all boils down to. Don't try to cheat or rig the system. It's the old "do unto others" bit. :)


Well summed up.

It is fine to say you are in the bokeh challenge, even that your other idea which was unique bombed out and that you submitted one of the many, many macro/flower shot. As long as you are not saying which is your shot you should be fine. Anything that would allow your friend to know which shot yours is, should be saved for after voting. I won't even respond to comments that ask questions until after the challenge is over, I'd rather seem a bit rude than look like I'm asking for a vote bump.

I had another member tell me he knew which shot was mine (in another challenge) and I was worried that I had said something to give an indicator in the fora. Had I tipped my hand I would have been obligated to edit out the message to keep others from guessing. It turns out some of us are either A)Psychic, or B)Pretty good at divining who's cliched editing style and subject matter belong to whom.
04/26/2011 01:13:46 PM · #14
Originally posted by Basta:

here is a fact: image was on another site frequented by DPC members for +/- 10 days during voting.


We only vote for 7 days...
04/26/2011 01:17:06 PM · #15
Originally posted by BrennanOB:

Originally posted by vawendy:

Be fair. That's what it all boils down to. Don't try to cheat or rig the system. It's the old "do unto others" bit. :)


Well summed up.

It is fine to say you are in the bokeh challenge, even that your other idea which was unique bombed out and that you submitted one of the many, many macro/flower shot. As long as you are not saying which is your shot you should be fine. Anything that would allow your friend to know which shot yours is, should be saved for after voting. I won't even respond to comments that ask questions until after the challenge is over, I'd rather seem a bit rude than look like I'm asking for a vote bump.

I had another member tell me he knew which shot was mine (in another challenge) and I was worried that I had said something to give an indicator in the fora. Had I tipped my hand I would have been obligated to edit out the message to keep others from guessing. It turns out some of us are either A)Psychic, or B)Pretty good at divining who's cliched editing style and subject matter belong to whom.


Don't forget to thank your friend as soon as he/she leave you a comment (let them know he/she still didn't) ...that can help in a pinpoint game
04/26/2011 01:18:30 PM · #16
Originally posted by Bear_Music:

Originally posted by Basta:

here is a fact: image was on another site frequented by DPC members for +/- 10 days during voting.


We only vote for 7 days...


And there is a week to enter...that would be 14... if its a Free study even longer
04/26/2011 01:21:33 PM · #17
That hat you are wearing is a bit shiny, Basta.
04/26/2011 01:22:46 PM · #18
Originally posted by bohemka:

That hat you are wearing is a bit shiny, Basta.

but it does its job. Is that a problem?
04/26/2011 01:51:40 PM · #19
I suppose if it distracts you too much it is a problem, but really have no idea. I'm sure an immature few dabble in minor voter fraud, but it certainly isn't a big deal, nor anything to get worked up about. Trying to pinpoint the invisible demons will drive you crazy, and it's best to just enjoy the site and more so the community that makes it.
04/26/2011 02:02:00 PM · #20
I see it more like a pink elephant , everyone is pretending is not here.. no one likes mentioning of it.
lets all act like world is perfect, the Prozac is working its magic.

you call it worked up, I call it sarcastic realistic .
04/26/2011 02:07:03 PM · #21
I see you are a Registered User. The Prozac comes with membership. That might explain it. Or begin to.

In all honesty I love conspiracy stuff so PM me with what you've got. Dishing it out in the threads is just not a good idea.
04/26/2011 02:07:32 PM · #22
Originally posted by Basta:

Don't forget to thank your friend as soon as he/she leave you a comment (let them know he/she still didn't) ...that can help in a pinpoint game


I know you are being sarcastic, but in the text you quoted I did say I thought it was a bad idea to respond to ANY comments during voting. Even direct questions. Blind voting is the ideal here.

Originally posted by Basta:

I see it more like a pink elephant , everyone is pretending is not here.. no one likes mentioning of it.


I think the analogy you are looking for is "the elephant in the room"; that which is obvious and real, but we all deny is there.
The "pink elephant" is the one that is not there, imagined by drunks, that only the mentally deranged see. Just a common usage correction.

Message edited by author 2011-04-26 14:12:51.
04/26/2011 02:13:28 PM · #23
Originally posted by bohemka:

I see you are a Registered User. The Prozac comes with membership. That might explain it. Or begin to.

In all honesty I love conspiracy stuff so PM me with what you've got. Dishing it out in the threads is just not a good idea.


I see, I'm not special enough. I will let you work on your conspiracy thingies with the ones that a are on the same level as you....
04/26/2011 02:14:59 PM · #24
Originally posted by BrennanOB:

Originally posted by Basta:

Don't forget to thank your friend as soon as he/she leave you a comment (let them know he/she still didn't) ...that can help in a pinpoint game


I know you are being sarcastic, but in the text you quoted I did say I thought it was a bad idea to respond to ANY comments during voting. Even direct questions. Blind voting is the ideal here.

Originally posted by Basta:

I see it more like a pink elephant , everyone is pretending is not here.. no one likes mentioning of it.


I think the analogy you are looking for is "the elephant in the room"; that which is obvious and real, but we all deny is there.
The "pink elephant" is the one that is not there, imagined by drunks, that only the mentally deranged see. Just a common usage correction.


You are correct sir, Thank you
04/26/2011 02:19:15 PM · #25
Originally posted by Basta:

Originally posted by bohemka:

I see you are a Registered User. The Prozac comes with membership. That might explain it. Or begin to.

In all honesty I love conspiracy stuff so PM me with what you've got. Dishing it out in the threads is just not a good idea.


I see, I'm not special enough. I will let you work on your conspiracy thingies with the ones that a are on the same level as you....


Tough room.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 05/23/2019 09:25:23 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2019 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 05/23/2019 09:25:23 AM EDT.