DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> General Discussion >> People from KANSAS
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 13 of 13, (reverse)
AuthorThread
07/12/2004 01:54:51 AM · #1
OK..all you people that are on here from Kansas....
I hear there are a few waterfalls in Kansas..question is where are they???? I hear there is one near where I live (Riley County). And I can't seem to find a neat place to get pictures around here...Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!
Oh and here's one picture from Kansas I took recently..90266.jpg
07/12/2004 03:10:59 AM · #2
In order to have a waterfall the elevation would have to change. Kansas is more known for its vast flat expanses of nothing but wheat and corn as far as the eye can see. :p

David
07/12/2004 03:12:48 AM · #3
Only waterfall I know of in Kansas is in the outfield of Kaufman Stadium, or is that in MO?

Are you near Elk county? Elk Falls

Or Sedan City? Sedan City Lake spillway

Or Moline? "Moline: This is the oldest swinging bridge in the state and is found one block west of Main. There's a little natural waterfall in the river below."

Or Chataqua County and Beaumont? Just Add Water
07/12/2004 03:23:11 PM · #4
Waterfalls I found in Kansas...They are small but beautiful..

Elk Falls
Valley Falls
Pillsbury Crossing
Alcove Spring (actual Spring Water..Indians recorded this as the purest of water in the region)
Butcher Falls
Cheyenne Bottoms (NOT a waterfall but interesting to see)

I really think Alcove Spring pictures are pretty. And Elk Falls.

07/12/2004 03:30:00 PM · #5
Originally posted by crazycrystal1977:

Waterfalls I found in Kansas...They are small but beautiful..

Elk Falls
Valley Falls
Pillsbury Crossing
Alcove Spring (actual Spring Water..Indians recorded this as the purest of water in the region)
Butcher Falls
Cheyenne Bottoms (NOT a waterfall but interesting to see)

I really think Alcove Spring pictures are pretty. And Elk Falls.


I think elk falls is the biggest waterfall in Kansas. At times, it can be as much as 3 feet high! :P
07/12/2004 03:38:38 PM · #6
AHHHH Kansas, so flat, you can stand on a beercan and see the whole thing!
07/12/2004 03:47:55 PM · #7
Originally posted by MeThoS:



I think elk falls is the biggest waterfall in Kansas. At times, it can be as much as 3 feet high! :P


Elk Falls held the record until 1988, when 6-foot-6-inch tall Bob Smith from Topeka remodeled his bathroom and had an extra-high shower head installed.

*ba-da-bump*

Actually, eastern Kansas has some pretty areas. Once you get to about Salina heading east and into the Kansas river and Missouri river valleys it's a bunch of green rolling hills - even some cliffs.
07/12/2004 04:19:08 PM · #8
Yup, Elk Falls is the only waterfall I've found here. I've kinda given up on waterfalls and mountainous vistas :( There are more hills up north than down here in the south. Both Quivira NWR and Cheyenne Bottoms are excellent places to take pictures, but usually in the spring and fall. I'm really hoping to get out west and shoot the Chalk Pyramids at some point in the near future too. The Maxwell Buffalo place in Canton should be near you, have you ever gone there? Having buffalos that close to your car with no fence between you is an amazing and intimidating feeling. They also do a tram ride through the fields where you can sometimes see elk too.
07/12/2004 05:43:47 PM · #9
Originally posted by Spazmo99:

AHHHH Kansas, so flat, you can stand on a beercan and see the whole thing!

Actually out here in eastern Kansas it's not flat at all. Very lush hills...
And moodville....I will have to check that out. I am not sure where Canton is (only thing I know about it is that my mom's ex husband lives there). I think that would be amazing to have a close up picture like that of a buffalo. Thanks for the information.
08/10/2004 10:24:31 AM · #10
OK. You live in Riley County and you can't find anything to shoot? You're in the part of the country that I kill to get to whenever I have a chance. There is a nice fall on the backside of Chase State Lake --cross the dam and follow the trail. The wetter it's been the better. Here is a pic: //www.thekonzapress.com/feiden/plains01.htm

If you need suggestions for places to shoot in Kansas let me know.

Mark
08/10/2004 10:57:16 AM · #11
Originally posted by MarkF:

OK. You live in Riley County and you can't find anything to shoot? You're in the part of the country that I kill to get to whenever I have a chance. There is a nice fall on the backside of Chase State Lake --cross the dam and follow the trail. The wetter it's been the better. Here is a pic: //www.thekonzapress.com/feiden/plains01.htm

If you need suggestions for places to shoot in Kansas let me know.

Mark


Do you shoot most of your portfolio from the road? And are you a storm chaser or do you just get extremely lucky with the cloud formations?
08/10/2004 11:24:17 AM · #12
I remember a nice one up by Marysville, but I haven't been back to Kansas since 1979. Go Fort Hays Tigers!!!!
08/11/2004 12:03:02 PM · #13
Originally posted by moodville:

Do you shoot most of your portfolio from the road? And are you a storm chaser or do you just get extremely lucky with the cloud formations?


I do shoot a lot from the road --I just don't seem to have the time anymore to do the kind of footwork that I would like. I am not a storm chaser but I certainly look for those kinds of days and situations. I think that the weather is very much a part of the plains landscape. There is probably a bit of luck involved too --one of my favorite weather pics is also one of the first I ever took --nearly 20 years ago.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 05/21/2019 04:32:56 PM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2019 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 05/21/2019 04:32:56 PM EDT.