DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> Current Challenge >> Focal Point =
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 32, (reverse)
AuthorThread
03/16/2011 09:11:06 PM · #1
Free Study.

Except, I'm not finding strong focal points in several of my recent entries.

Maybe this isn't for me after all.
03/16/2011 09:15:16 PM · #2
Depends on who is looking.
03/16/2011 09:16:02 PM · #3
Agh! Not the almighty voter again...
03/16/2011 09:16:32 PM · #4
So what you're saying, we currently have three free studies?
03/16/2011 09:19:00 PM · #5
Perhaps the problem is shooting with the intent of making the whole photo the focal point for the viewer? ;)
Like this
03/16/2011 09:21:20 PM · #6
03/16/2011 09:25:03 PM · #7
I think this will actually be a lot more difficult than it seems. Because while most photographs include a main focal point (main draw of the eye), most pictures also allow for the roaming for the eye to other areas which are also interesting. According to the challenge description, this is something we shouldn't have in this challenge. If you look at the three ribbon winners of the last Free Study, all of them either have more than one focal point, or else other areas in the photo that are also interesting: 1.Two dogs, 2.cliffs on either side, 3.eyes,hand and elbows.
I agree that it is still a Free Study though.
03/16/2011 09:27:36 PM · #8
I just figured it out, I'm three steps behind everybody.
03/16/2011 09:32:35 PM · #9
Hey, those images look familiar.

As is my M.O., I'll be sure to find something focally pointless.
03/16/2011 10:25:49 PM · #10
My question is.....are we going to get pinged if we use DoF to obtain our the focal point?


03/16/2011 10:32:14 PM · #11
Originally posted by NikonJeb:

My question is.....are we going to get pinged if we use DoF to obtain our the focal point?



I posted this challenge topic and I did so after reading an article on Digital Photo School.

//www.digital-photography-school.com/using-focal-points-in-photography
03/16/2011 10:33:42 PM · #12
[quote=NikonJeb] My question is.....are we going to get pinged if we use DoF to obtain our the focal point?

Isn't DoF a tool often used to define / isolate the focal point? I would hope it would add points, not subtract points.
03/16/2011 10:35:19 PM · #13
Originally posted by NikonJeb:

My question is.....are we going to get pinged if we use DoF to obtain our the focal point?



Originally posted by EL-ROI:

I posted this challenge topic and I did so after reading an article on Digital Photo School.

//www.digital-photography-school.com/using-focal-points-in-photography

Well....they talk about using focus as a focal point!
03/22/2011 05:59:58 PM · #14
I'm in and hopefully this will break me out of the scoring rut I am in.
03/22/2011 06:10:55 PM · #15
I'm in. I think I even like it :-) (so it will probably score at 4 or below) I only entered six challenges last year so I am determined to do better than that this year. This will be number three.

ETA for corrections :-)

Message edited by author 2011-03-22 18:12:43.
03/22/2011 06:48:43 PM · #16
Originally posted by WriteHeart:

I'm in. I think I even like it :-) (so it will probably score at 4 or below) I only entered six challenges last year so I am determined to do better than that this year. This will be number three.

ETA for corrections :-)


Halfway there :)
03/22/2011 07:25:54 PM · #17
Any experts out there willing too look over a couple of entry options?
03/22/2011 07:31:03 PM · #18
I have a photo that I entered and then withdrew. Two of them actually. Anyone want to take a look and tell me if I should bother? I'm pretty sure I shouldn't, but I could be wrong.
03/22/2011 07:34:13 PM · #19
Originally posted by kichu:

I have a photo that I entered and then withdrew. Two of them actually. Anyone want to take a look and tell me if I should bother? I'm pretty sure I shouldn't, but I could be wrong.
OK, I am available for the next 30 mins. PM me.
03/22/2011 07:36:29 PM · #20
Originally posted by klkitchens:

Any experts out there willing too look over a couple of entry options?
OK, PM me (I missed your post)
PS Sorry, I am not an expert (I should read posts more carefully!)

Message edited by author 2011-03-22 19:38:19.
03/22/2011 07:47:02 PM · #21
Originally posted by klkitchens:

Any experts out there willing too look over a couple of entry options?

PM'd. Far from expert though :)
03/22/2011 07:52:35 PM · #22
And, actually. Anyone want to give me a third/fourth/fifth/etc opinion about a possible entry?

Message edited by author 2011-03-22 19:52:53.
03/22/2011 07:52:39 PM · #23
I'm in with one that will either tank completely, or do really well.....
03/22/2011 07:54:58 PM · #24
Originally posted by NikonJeb:

I'm in with one that will either tank completely, or do really well.....


I smell a 5.5 for you! :)
03/22/2011 08:02:35 PM · #25
Originally posted by Fiora:

... while most photographs include a main focal point (main draw of the eye), most pictures also allow for the roaming for the eye to other areas which are also interesting. According to the challenge description, this is something we shouldn't have in this challenge. ...

Of course the eye will roam, but as long it comes back to rest then you're good. Such as stated in this snippet from the challenge description: "The focal point of your image provides a place for the eye to rest or something of interest to really hold the viewer's interest."

Not really that difficult.
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 04/16/2024 03:20:42 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2024 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Current Server Time: 04/16/2024 03:20:42 AM EDT.