DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> The Critique Club >> HUMBLY ANTICIPATING CRITIQUE
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 9 of 9, (reverse)
AuthorThread
09/29/2010 06:22:48 AM · #1
Hello just joined last night, little lost but hope this is the correct forum to request some feedback.
Thank you for your effort and time, I welcome all comments and guidance.
Regards to all,

EyeArt
09/29/2010 06:30:38 AM · #2
Originally posted by eyeart:

Hello just joined last night, little lost but hope this is the correct forum to request some feedback.
Thank you for your effort and time, I welcome all comments and guidance.
Regards to all,

EyeArt


The Critique Club is actually a little bit different than what you're looking for. Critique Club comments are only made on entries to challenges, and they must be requested at the time of entry. You can see where to click by looking at this crude diagram I created. Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_808726.jpg
The Critique Club consists of volunteers who spend more time on comments for those entries that requested one. They are generally more in depth and detailed than standard "good shot" comments and often offer more careful criticism, as well. If you do request one, keep in mind that we're a volunteer group and the load of requests varies. Also keep in mind that we only have a week to add a comment after the challenge has ended before that challenges Critique Club requests are dropped from the queue and the new week's challenge requests are added.
You may be interested in the Individual Photograph Discussion where you can request input on a specific photo that you're looking for comments on.
Also, a GREAT way to get lots of feedback is to participate in one of the many Side Challenges. These are user created challenges that are more relaxed, don't have voting, but encourage and foster a learning environment through generous commenting. The topics vary and it's a great way to experiment and get some contact with other users.
09/30/2010 05:42:24 AM · #3
Dear Spiritual Spatula

Thank you for your time in responding, the information you provided will be extremely helpful. I apologized for postng in the incorrect forum, I still feel lost.
You've been most kind.
Regards,
EyeArt
09/30/2010 06:54:57 AM · #4
Originally posted by spiritualspatula:

...Critique Club comments are only made on entries to challenges, and they must be requested at the time of entry...
If you do request one, keep in mind that we're a volunteer group and the load of requests varies. Also keep in mind that we only have a week to add a comment after the challenge has ended before that challenges Critique Club requests are dropped from the queue and the new week's challenge requests are added.

Which raises an interesting question (for me anyway): I have just gone to the critique club link and although I'm not a critique club member I see in the top left that there have been 0 photos critiqued in the past 2 weeks!
Does that mean that everyone who requested a critique (including me) wont receive one because it disappears into a black hole as the one week timeframe has lapsed?
Whats the point of requestnig a critique then? (not bashing the critique club just wondering why it isnt run a bit better)
09/30/2010 07:10:42 AM · #5
I lost my enthusiasm for doing Critique Club critiques when I was assigned a ribbon winner and said multi-ribbon winner never even marked the critique as helpful. Why waste my time?

Tim

Message edited by author 2010-09-30 08:22:29.
09/30/2010 07:23:57 AM · #6
Good question Stephen, and I didn't quite explain things adequately in my response.
In my experience, the enthusiasm of the Critique Club sorta goes through waves, and so your chances of getting a critique vary. Sometimes we'll hammer out every request for weeks and dig into the backlog, and sometimes (like right now) we'll be busy with other things. The post from Jacqueline actually reminded me to pay some more attention over here again myself.
If your photo isn't selected (it's random) within that week, then it will be placed in a backlog of other photos that were missed. So, there is still a chance that it will be attended to, but the chances are admittedly low. Generally speaking, we get through a sizable portion of the requests, though giant challenges make it harder (the Hidden Gem challenge for instance, as well as the 1,000th challenge both spawned TONS AND TONS of requests) I'll make a post to see if I can't rally some other members, and I'll fire some off myself in the next couple days. :)

Regarding how it is run, it is rather uncoordinated because we're all volunteers and members have the stresses of normal life in addition to the labor of love that is the Critique Club. I'm not taking offense at your observation though, and I wish we could get to every request.

And Jacqueline, no worries on posting here. No harm in asking :)

Damn, this is my 2,000th post.
10/01/2010 07:17:37 AM · #7
Originally posted by spiritualspatula:

Good question Stephen, and I didn't quite explain things adequately in my response.
In my experience, the enthusiasm of the Critique Club sorta goes through waves, and so your chances of getting a critique vary. Sometimes we'll hammer out every request for weeks and dig into the backlog, and sometimes (like right now) we'll be busy with other things. The post from Jacqueline actually reminded me to pay some more attention over here again myself.
If your photo isn't selected (it's random) within that week, then it will be placed in a backlog of other photos that were missed. So, there is still a chance that it will be attended to, but the chances are admittedly low. Generally speaking, we get through a sizable portion of the requests, though giant challenges make it harder (the Hidden Gem challenge for instance, as well as the 1,000th challenge both spawned TONS AND TONS of requests) I'll make a post to see if I can't rally some other members, and I'll fire some off myself in the next couple days. :)

Regarding how it is run, it is rather uncoordinated because we're all volunteers and members have the stresses of normal life in addition to the labor of love that is the Critique Club. I'm not taking offense at your observation though, and I wish we could get to every request.

And Jacqueline, no worries on posting here. No harm in asking :)

Damn, this is my 2,000th post.

Thanks for the reply Derek.
Guess we just gotta wait or be lucky... or post it in the forums and ask for a critique.

Originally posted by atupdate:

I lost my enthusiasm for doing Critique Club critiques when I was assigned a ribbon winner and said multi-ribbon winner never even marked the critique as helpful. Why waste my time?

Tim

Sorry to hear that Tim - I will mark you comment as helpful I promise! :-)
Perhaps this said multi-ribbon winner didnt think your comment was helpful? Was it a good comment?
10/01/2010 02:51:35 PM · #8
Originally posted by Silent-Shooter:

Originally posted by spiritualspatula:

Good question Stephen, and I didn't quite explain things adequately in my response.
In my experience, the enthusiasm of the Critique Club sorta goes through waves, and so your chances of getting a critique vary. Sometimes we'll hammer out every request for weeks and dig into the backlog, and sometimes (like right now) we'll be busy with other things. The post from Jacqueline actually reminded me to pay some more attention over here again myself.
If your photo isn't selected (it's random) within that week, then it will be placed in a backlog of other photos that were missed. So, there is still a chance that it will be attended to, but the chances are admittedly low. Generally speaking, we get through a sizable portion of the requests, though giant challenges make it harder (the Hidden Gem challenge for instance, as well as the 1,000th challenge both spawned TONS AND TONS of requests) I'll make a post to see if I can't rally some other members, and I'll fire some off myself in the next couple days. :)

Regarding how it is run, it is rather uncoordinated because we're all volunteers and members have the stresses of normal life in addition to the labor of love that is the Critique Club. I'm not taking offense at your observation though, and I wish we could get to every request.

And Jacqueline, no worries on posting here. No harm in asking :)

Damn, this is my 2,000th post.

Thanks for the reply Derek.
Guess we just gotta wait or be lucky... or post it in the forums and ask for a critique.

Originally posted by atupdate:

I lost my enthusiasm for doing Critique Club critiques when I was assigned a ribbon winner and said multi-ribbon winner never even marked the critique as helpful. Why waste my time?

Tim

Sorry to hear that Tim - I will mark you comment as helpful I promise! :-)
Perhaps this said multi-ribbon winner didnt think your comment was helpful? Was it a good comment?

Well, Stephen, I think that's a big part of what is frustrating about being a member of the Critique Club. I spend at least 15 minutes on each CC comment I make,but some don't consider it useful. I even aimed to do 100% commenting for a best of the year challenge, and one of my comments caused a user to become disillusioned with DPC and leave. It's a labor of love, that's all there is to it.
Hopefully it won't depend TOO much on luck. Pending how tonight and tomorrow are at work I should beable to knock some off. We just did a software upgrade so who knows how it will be though....
09/21/2011 02:59:31 AM · #9
Nice info
=========
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 11/16/2018 05:24:59 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2018 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 11/16/2018 05:24:59 AM EST.