DPChallenge: A Digital Photography Contest You are not logged in. (log in or register
 

DPChallenge Forums >> General Discussion >> Should I dirt_diver renew for another year???
Pages:  
Showing posts 1 - 25 of 44, (reverse)
AuthorThread
08/01/2010 12:35:45 AM · #1
I haven't been very active on here since May and I don't think anyone even knew I was gone, however I did just enter the July free Study BUT only because I was waiting for my fence to make it to level 9 on Facebooks Kingdoms of Camelot game and I was getting bored.

I have just 4 days left and I've been pondering the idea but I'm not so sure it's worth it anymore. DPC isn't what it used to be and the challenges aren't all that fun anymore. I may just be moving on, who knows...

Decisions, decisions..

08/01/2010 12:38:51 AM · #2
well, you don't have to renew now, do you? You can let it lapse and see how much, if at all, you miss it before deciding.

Message edited by author 2010-08-01 00:39:19.
08/01/2010 12:41:47 AM · #3
Originally posted by salmiakki:

well, you don't have to renew now, do you? You can let it lapse and see how much, if at all, you miss it before deciding.


Yeah that would work too. I just don't think I would go insane today like I would have 2 years ago ya know.
08/01/2010 12:43:45 AM · #4
Yeah, I do know. I'm in the same position actually.
08/01/2010 12:44:27 AM · #5
I am in the same boat as you. I currently have two days left. The way my free study is going it may make my decision for me. Which is to let it lapse and take a break. Good luck in deciding.
08/01/2010 12:48:04 AM · #6
I encourage the capable, mature, and creative photographers--such as yourself--to stick around.

DPC needs you.

And I need you so that when I vote on free studies, there's that many fewer entries, percentage-wise, that belong in a scrapbook and nowhere else.
08/01/2010 12:48:14 AM · #7
Originally posted by BeckyT:

The way my free study is going it may make my decision for me. Which is to let it lapse and take a break


Ditto
08/01/2010 01:01:21 AM · #8
Originally posted by Dirt_Diver:

Originally posted by salmiakki:

well, you don't have to renew now, do you? You can let it lapse and see how much, if at all, you miss it before deciding.


Yeah that would work too. I just don't think I would go insane today like I would have 2 years ago ya know.


Funny, this is exactly how I feel now too. Mine isn't up for a few months yet but when it expires I'm not sure if I'll bother renewing, most likely I'll just stick around and enter the occasional open challenge. DPC doesnt inspire the same excitement or drive in me it used to.
08/01/2010 01:01:29 AM · #9
Originally posted by Dirt_Diver:

I haven't been very active on here since May and I don't think anyone even knew I was gone, however I did just enter the July free Study BUT only because I was waiting for my fence to make it to level 9 on Facebooks Kingdoms of Camelot game and I was getting bored.

I have just 4 days left and I've been pondering the idea but I'm not so sure it's worth it anymore. DPC isn't what it used to be and the challenges aren't all that fun anymore. I may just be moving on, who knows...

Decisions, decisions..


Joe I know what you mean. I don't understand DPC right now myself. I don't know if it's me or the site but the forums are not as exciting as they use to be. Only about 1/3 created now verses 2005+/-.

It's hard to get motivated to vote (I'm as guilty as anyone).

Not as excited as I use to be when challenges rolled around.

That *something* that kept the site going for so long seems to be missing and I can't put my finger on it. I think a lot of people feels that way.
08/01/2010 01:11:22 AM · #10
Originally posted by Dirt_Diver:

I haven't been very active on here since May and I don't think anyone even knew I was gone, however I did just enter the July free Study BUT only because I was waiting for my fence to make it to level 9 on Facebooks Kingdoms of Camelot game and I was getting bored.

I have just 4 days left and I've been pondering the idea but I'm not so sure it's worth it anymore. DPC isn't what it used to be and the challenges aren't all that fun anymore. I may just be moving on, who knows...

Decisions, decisions..


I would say if you are uninspired and don't miss DPC than no. I renewed last October but likely won't this October. There just isn't much in the forums or the challenges to keep me here as a paying member. There are many upgrades that need done to the site that have "been coming" for a long time and just aren't here. How long has the upgrade to DPC prints been coming? DPL finally rolled around again, but now dead silence about when it might happen again. Just doesn't seem to be any real commitment from Langdon without an uproar from the crowd spurring it on. The forums can be violent, rude, uneasy to read and more about everything else than photography anymore. I'd almost say DPC has had a good run but it may have outlived it's shelf life.

08/01/2010 01:12:13 AM · #11
Mine expires in two weeks and I intend to renew. I have not been real active in the challenges lately but do feel that I can continue to support the site and still take a break while sorting out where my photography is going. Hey, I even have an entry in now taken with a P&S, something I have not done in years! Just trying different things and this is a good a testing ground as any.

Stick around.
08/01/2010 02:44:34 AM · #12
I let mine expire a few days ago and to be honest, I am happy about it. I don't even miss the update button. One thing I wish I could have done though was change the title of my FS entry but because I am no longer a member I am not allowed. Oh well I guess the one that is on there is good enough.
08/01/2010 02:59:57 AM · #13
Originally posted by Bugzeye:

I let mine expire a few days ago and to be honest, I am happy about it. I don't even miss the update button.


I have scores turned off these days so I won't miss it at all after next week.
08/01/2010 03:33:45 AM · #14
The economy may have some to do with as well. People are not buying as much equipment for hobby as they use too. And more photographers have took the equipment they have and experience an started focusing on trying to make extra money.

One thing I would like to see DPC do is introduce a jury challenge. Just as we have the SC the site could have x/number of judges to determine the winner of a challenge.

One open challenge a week
One Members Challenge a Week
One Jury Challenge a week or bi-weekly.
One Free Study a month.

08/01/2010 08:31:26 AM · #15
Well I'm glad to see that I am not in this boat alone. Although $25 isn't a lot of money I think I will just let it run out and be a side player. If I get the urge I will buy the membership but for now there isn't enough of a difference to keep me around.
08/01/2010 08:39:09 AM · #16
Originally posted by SDW:

The economy may have some to do with as well. People are not buying as much equipment for hobby as they use too. And more photographers have took the equipment they have and experience an started focusing on trying to make extra money.

One thing I would like to see DPC do is introduce a jury challenge. Just as we have the SC the site could have x/number of judges to determine the winner of a challenge.

One open challenge a week
One Members Challenge a Week
One Jury Challenge a week or bi-weekly.
One Free Study a month.


I think Langdon should sell the site to someone that is more active. Nothing against the guy , I appreciate everything he's done for me and the side challenges I have created but I just don't think he is as active as he used to be either. As Matto said there are many upgrades and changes that need to be made to the site that just aren't happening.

One major change I think should happen is the change in SC members AT LEAST every 2 years maybe every 4 and they should be elected by the "paying" members of the site. Just like presidents are elected in the US. It's a system that works (well except for Florida... j/k) and it works well.
08/01/2010 02:30:40 PM · #17
For me it is not that there is not enough difference between being a registered member and a full member that should be the deciding factor, it is a matter of supporting the site that I use regularly financially. Seems to me people always expect something for nothing and that, in the end, perpetuates dissatisfaction.
08/01/2010 02:39:41 PM · #18
i think that you should really renew you membership. you are a great photographer and i would miss your work. PLEASE STAY!!!! (And stop being lazy! just saying...)
08/01/2010 02:42:54 PM · #19
Well, for $25 a year it's a no-brainer for me, even If I am not as active as I used to be I still think it's amazing value. I enjoy browsing the photos on here and I feel the community spirit is second to none. Yes, it has changed but then most things do.

There is nothing to compare with DPC out there imo.

08/01/2010 02:57:43 PM · #20
I won't be renewing when I'm up in a couple of weeks. The random challenge now and then is fun, but I haven't been using enough of what you get with the membership to make it worth it. There's always open challenges for that once-every-few-months urge.

I'll wait until the current war of wills is over between the masses and the small core of hyper-geniuses that think they know more than anyone else and know what's best for everyone ;)

See you in 2045. lol.

ETA: oh hell, I mixed up my renewal date with my registered date. I don't renew until November. oops.

Message edited by author 2010-08-01 14:59:32.
08/01/2010 03:41:00 PM · #21
Originally posted by Sevlow:

Well, for $25 a year it's a no-brainer for me, even If I am not as active as I used to be I still think it's amazing value. I enjoy browsing the photos on here and I feel the community spirit is second to none. Yes, it has changed but then most things do.

There is nothing to compare with DPC out there imo.


I agree, I think the membership fees give good value. I haven't been able to find another site that administers challenges as well as this one. While I might not always like the themes, or get tired of the bickering in the forums, I still cant see where else I would get my photo challenge fix.

I know that recently, I haven't been feeling as connected to DPC as I was last year, but I know that it is because I haven't participated in as many side challenges (or hosted/run any side challenges) as I did in the past.

That being said, DD, your DPC Olympics side challenges were the most fun I had on this site.... just so you know.
08/01/2010 04:49:33 PM · #22
Originally posted by K10DGuy:


I'll wait until the current war of wills is over between the masses and the small core of hyper-geniuses that think they know more than anyone else and know what's best for everyone ;)


I hear you, but you do realize that to escape that completely, you will need to leave the planet? Please advise me of your launch date--I will photograph it for a Free Study entry :-)

(view The Astronaut Farmer for some do's and don'ts as you build your rocket)
08/01/2010 05:20:36 PM · #23
Originally posted by chromeydome:

Originally posted by K10DGuy:


I'll wait until the current war of wills is over between the masses and the small core of hyper-geniuses that think they know more than anyone else and know what's best for everyone ;)


I hear you, but you do realize that to escape that completely, you will need to leave the planet? Please advise me of your launch date--I will photograph it for a Free Study entry :-)

(view The Astronaut Farmer for some do's and don'ts as you build your rocket)


Maybe it's the smart option?
08/01/2010 06:29:26 PM · #24
I didn't renew my membership this year... Things just aren't the same around here and I don't find the forums fun anymore. I used to LOVE this place...
08/01/2010 09:27:39 PM · #25
Originally posted by slickchik:

I didn't renew my membership this year... Things just aren't the same around here and I don't find the forums fun anymore. I used to LOVE this place...


I too loved this place. It's like graduating from high school and visiting all your old teachers a few years after you leave, it just isn't the same. lol
Pages:  
Current Server Time: 08/18/2018 11:24:26 AM

Please log in or register to post to the forums.


Home - Challenges - Community - League - Photos - Cameras - Lenses - Learn - Prints! - Help - Terms of Use - Privacy - Top ^
DPChallenge, and website content and design, Copyright © 2001-2018 Challenging Technologies, LLC.
All digital photo copyrights belong to the photographers and may not be used without permission.
Proudly hosted by Sargasso Networks. Current Server Time: 08/18/2018 11:24:26 AM EDT.